Catching/popping sensation with new hip

Posted , 17 users are following.

I had a right THR six week ago and now I'm noticing a catching/popping sensation down the thigh when I walk.

If I place my palm over my thigh near the incision area and begin walking it feels like a muscle or a tendon is catching and popping as I take steps. I mentioned this to the surgeon but he says it's likely to be iliotibial band and it should correct itself in time.

It's left me feeling quite anxious. I've read that some people who reported similar issues had to undergo further surgery to correct a muscle/tendon impingement where the cup of the hip implant is rubbing and causing pain.

I'm not getting any pain but just conscious that something doesn't feel smooth with the new hip. I'm trying to ignore it, telling myself it's early days and there is probably a lot a healing still to go but I can't put my mind at rest and it's causing a lot of worry.

The hip was replaced using the posterior approach. I'm using one crutch for the next four weeks then the surgeon says I should be able to walk without any aids.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Edited

please dont ignore it and dont let the surgeons fob you off !! i had a THR 8 months ago and had the same... im having a total revision on tuesday, replacing the first hip that has come loose!!

im not trying to frighten you, just warning you to be careful, i have been in excruriating pain for 4-5 months until surgeon #8 discovered the cause

good luck xx

• Edited

Hello Chrissie,

My name is Jeannette and I live in Alaska. We are limited on surgeons that do revisions up here. I have a problem like yours but with pain. I've had it for four years. I have a dr. now that says i need a revision, but I do have a dr. that is telling me my cup is rotated 1 cm off. Can you please give me the name and location of your doctor. I am getting desperate. Thank You and I hope your revision makes you feel like new. Go slow but steady recovering 😃

• Edited

hello jeanette ! so sorry you are suffering.. i know how awful it can be.. my new hip lasted 10 weeks before coming loose causing excrutiating pain!

sadly my surgeon wouldnt be any good to you, i live in SPAIN at the moment ! it truly took 8 doctors to diagnose my problem... the original surgeon didnt want to know even when my hubby had to wheel me in in a wheelchair crying my eyes out !!

dont give up, dont let them fob you off

good lucky sweetie

• Edited

Hi Chrissie. Sorry to hear about your difficulties, must have been terrible experience to go through. I hope your revision is a success. I'm just dreading that I might have to have the same. When you first noticed problems, was it a tugging clicking sensation on the muscle that you noticed? It's like something being caught and then released inside the hip. I'm seeing the surgeon later today as it just doesn't feel right and I'm not happy. it's been 7 weeks since the operation and I had expected it to be a smooth recovery. Just praying healing will get back on track.

• Edited

Hi Chrissie. Thank for your message. I replied below the other messages . I got confused on where to reply !

• Edited

Hi

I've had similar feelings and this is my 2nd thr I'm 12 weeks post. I find it's a lot to do with the muscles trying to recover, also seems that water and swelling is a contributing factor. I also worried but have come to realise that the healing time is very long however one morning you will wake to find it gone...

Do you stretching as best you can because your muscles are holding a lot of water and stretching helps the water start to move and reduces the swelling.

You do need to also do the same amount of resting, I work full time and find on the weekend all I do at the moment is small stretches and have my legs up all day in bed. I use hot water bottles on and off also ice on and off and a nice warm bath this weekend is my first attempt to get in and out of the bath... So nice on the leg though

Good luck x

• Posted

Which is the best stretching for water swelling in the leg which does not hurt the new joint? Thanks

• Edited

Hi Penny08

Thank you so your comments. That's reassuring to know it might be just a temporary thing.

How long did it take to resolve for you? I’ve not really done any rehab apart from walking. What sort of stretching are you doing? I’ve regained a lot of flexibility but there’s still a tenderness below the incision area. I’m also feeling some pain in my knee at times. I’m hoping this will also resolve. My main concern is this pulling/lumpy sensation from the muscle or tendon catching. But as you say, maybe the muscles are still recovering. Just praying it’s nothing untoward.

Take care 

• Edited

i hope yr doctors visit brought you some answers! yes i had a lot of clicking and pulling... some days it felt like someone was sawing through the muscle with a blunt bread knife !!

the pain in yr knee is wuite common, they use the knee to dislocate the hip at the start of surgery and that can be quite painfull for sometime !

tomorrow is the day !!! wish me luck

xxxx

• Edited

Hi Chrissie. Sending happy vibes and hugs for your surgery. I'm sure it will go smoothly. Your comments are very helpful and will give me anecdotal evidence that others have felt the same. I see the doctor later today. This whole hip replacement journey has been a nightmare and I just want a plan so I can focus on getting on with life.

Take care

• Edited

Its interesting reading everyones comments here . I had a thr 2yrs ago and have seen several consultants. In August i am seeing the Man who trained them all. My hip replacement has never felt right, painful, sore to lie on and something is clicking and trapping everytime i lift my leg. The original surgeon said everything was fine but reluctantly referred me to another for a second opinion. He found a leg length discrepancy and a lot of inflamation. He said possibly the hip was to big for me or had been posistioned to far over.? He seemed reluctant to do revision surgery though and sent me for a guided injection and physio!!!

I have always religiously done all my exercises before and after surgery and i am healthy and normally fit.

My question was ' Ok theres inflamation but why after 2 years?! Something must be causing it??

Will have to wait and see what the boss says but its really getting me down. Cant walk very far at all now without horrific back pain.

• Edited

Hi Lesley

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issues. Must be so very stressful. It's good news you are getting to see such a senior surgeon. Sounds like you'll soon have a plan and a resolution.

I always thought having a hip replacement was pretty straightforward. I never imagined there could be so many complications.

Take care and all the very best for the forthcoming appointment

• Edited

Hi I'm having the same issues now 7 weeks post op. started almost straight away. How did things work out for you?

• Posted

I Hey there I'm curious to hear how you are going now. I had an anterior THP almost 4 weeks ago and ever since week 2 I've been noticing a dull popping sensation when I stand up straight or move my hip forwards and backwards. to me it feels like either something fibrous on the outside of the bone like a muscle or a tendon rolling past the outside of the hip, but there is this concern within that it could be the cup moving inside the hip socket. I mentioned it to my surgeon and he said I shouldn't feel any popping sensation and didn't offer an explanation and now I'm feeling quite anxious. I'm only 47 and I have fairly solid legs and lead an active life. I guess I have a lot more muscle than your average older person who would have the same procedure done would have. I had to have the procedure because of a cam impingement which over the years has caused bad osteoarthritis next year I have to have my right hip done. I have to say I'm really dreading it.

• Posted

After a hip replacement procedure, it can take up to twelve weeks for the soft tissues around the joint to heal after they have been cut during surgery. In some cases it's normal until the muscles tendons secure the joint and stabilize while gaining more strength. Are you going to have physio? Also don't cross your legs. If your surgeon is happy that should be fine as it can happen if the hip is slightly misplaced.

• Posted

Is this always the case for a former fit person? or can it be plus or minus a few weeks? How long does the wound take too heal?

• Posted

I would have thought the healing process is more dependant on age than fitness. In the case of the wound, I am having my covering removed a couple of weeks after the initial op which I think most people do. I did dislocate my hip a couple of days after the op which will have probably have torn some of the new developing muscles round the prosthesis. Luckily I only needed a second op to get the hip back in place rather than opening the wound.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.