Catheter Size

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am new to CIC. My PCP precribed it after an ultrasound showed a RV of 200ml. I'm using the Speedicath Standard 16 FR. I'm wondering if it would be better to try the 14 or even 12?

The reason is that it passes through the prostate fairly easily but when it reaches the bladder  spincther I'm only able to get it through about 50% of the time no matter how I move it or how many deep breaths I take..

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I used the 14 when I had to cath. Never heard of a 12. It would go in a little better.

Did they show you how to do it?

• Posted

Yeah they showed me but sometimes it just won't work. I'll give it a minute or so and then give it up...

• Posted

I tried a number of different catheters and sizes. Finally settled on the Gentle Cath 14 Fr hydrophilic (with the water packet in the package) with a coude tip. I could never get the straight tip caths to go in at all. I believe that the 12 Fr might be too flexible and bend when you are trying to push it in. The 16 Fr was definitely too big for me and was uncomfortable. I am doing pretty well with this size and type. I tried 180 Medical and they were good about sending me various samples until I found what worked. good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks, thats the info I was looking for. I get them through the VA so I don't have any say on the brand but I can get them to drop the size just didn't know how  small to go...

• Posted

I think any 14 Fr hydrophilic with a coude tip will work fine. I was using the red rubber caths when I first started and they were uncomfortable to the point I dreaded it every time I had to insert one. Finally took them all back to the hospital and donated them, then started over with the new ones. Much better!
    • Posted

Damn those red rubber types to the Middle Ages!  :-D   14s are what I've been using exclusively, and yes, hydrophylic! AND--- the Coude tip is only could for certain conditions!  Maybe yours, but for others of us, it tears us up inside.  Been there, done that!  But yes, 16 is YUGE!  Can't imagine pushing THAT pipe in!  So you have some sorting out to do,,,,

• Posted

Most speedicath suppliers seem very willing to supply you with a few samples of different sizes, and different tips too, although if you can pass the prostate easily there is probably no need for a coude tip.I would recmmend you try normal tips in 14fr and 12fr
  • Posted

Hi, Jwrhn,

When I started CIC 8 months ago, my uro's staff insisted I used a FR 18! I had been reading about CIC on one of the threads on this site and negotiated with them to use a FR 16. The FR 16s didn't work well for me. Now I use FR 14 or FR 12. Because of my BPH I use the coude tip.

Like you, I had trouble getting past the bladder sphincter in the beginning. It takes time for your body to get used to CIC, and now I rarely have trouble. I found it helpful at the bladder sphincter to apply gentle pressure--do not force it! Eventually the sphincter would tire or relax and let the catheter in. Sometimes I would do a light cough.

On this site there's a really good thread on CIC--https://patient.info/forums/discuss/self-catherization-an-alternative-to-turp-greenlight-holep--336874?page=2#2400415

I learned a lot about how to CIC successfully on that thread. Jimjames and others there are very helpful.

Best of luck to you!

Stebrunner

• Posted

I tried the 16 14 and 12. Both straight tip and coude tip. My urologist's nurse recomended the 12 straight, speedicath, so that's what I've been using now with very good results. 

I sit when cathing and go slow. I slow down more when I feel it passing through the prostate and then when I come to the spincther, I stop advancing and just apply a very gentle pressure and wait. In less then a minute, the spincther fatiques and relaxes, allowing the cathether to continue. It does the same thing with any size but the 16 seems to be a little more difficult. The straight tip 12 works very well for me.

• Posted

?!?!?!?!  Why on Earth did they START you on something that large???  Please try the FR14 as soon as possible.  They have worked for me well for over 2,000 caths.  Also, be careful, as there are two tips:  straight and "coude," the later being hooked or beak-ended.  The latter works for some conditions, the straight for others.  I was sent a coude-tipped box by mistake when I was first starting out; PAINFUL!!!!  If coude tip is not right for you, you will know it!

• Posted

You are so fortunate to have a doctor who told you about CIC.  I sure wish mine had done that rather than selling me on a quick and TURP that's been disasterous for me.  Since it was your PCP pointing you to CIC, he/she didn't have a financial interest in your having surgery, so you got some good advice it seems.

• Posted

Thanks, jwrhn!  But actually, my doctor DID NOT tell me about CIC.  My urologist had 'em put a Foley and bag on me, and said, "We'll fit you in for tests in 5 weeks."  I went home, researched on-line, fired that uro-doc, got another who could get tests the following week.  After a few days of The Bag, I asked new doc for  the CIC instructions.  The nurse, an Eastern-European-born/Spanish Inquisition holdover  (I meantion Eastern Europe, because her Slavic-accented English just added a shudder factor to the instruction session.  "YOU TAKE AHOLD OF ZEE PEE-NUSS LIKE ZIS!!!"     Think: LADY DRACULA!    :-D    I have done better since those early days...  :-)

• Posted

Thought I was replying to jwrhn1951 whose comment  started this thread with post that his PCP had prescribed CIC.
    • Posted

No problem and again, sorry about your experience!  :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.