Catheter Size

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am new to CIC. My PCP precribed it after an ultrasound showed a RV of 200ml. I'm using the Speedicath Standard 16 FR. I'm wondering if it would be better to try the 14 or even 12?

The reason is that it passes through the prostate fairly easily but when it reaches the bladder  spincther I'm only able to get it through about 50% of the time no matter how I move it or how many deep breaths I take..

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

UPDATE

I started with the 14 FR, they work pretty well, Instead of  being unable to get them into the bladder only about 50% of the time with the 16's I'm successful about 80% of the time with the 14's.

One thing I don't understand is that when I'm unable the get a 14 FR into the bladder if I try a 16FR an hour or so later it always works. 

Haven't had the cytoscope yet maybe that will make sense of everything..

• Posted

If the bladder is empty the sphicter can sometimes shut so tight that you can't get a catheter in. Not sure if this is what is happening or not. Given what you say, makes sense to use the 14 as your "go to" with the 16 as a back up. Have you tried FR12? That's what I ended up using.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.