CBT for anxiety!!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY for anxiety... Does this therapy help? Has anyone had any success with this please share your experience! Anxiety is such a big part of my life at this time, going thru peri/meno... I just want to learn how to live with all this ANXIETY until one day and hopefully soon it goes away or at least manageable.

I get anxiety over just about everything, no really everything, I get anxiety from driving , I get it inside stores , I get it if someone calls me , I get it thinking about my aging parents, I get it over my health, and the health of my family, I get it over food and that everything I eat I get reactions to it. I get anxiety over taking medication I can't take anything! Who has anxiety over medicine... So I'm having this awful anxiety over pretty much everything in my life!

I am searching for a therapist now that can help with it. I would love to know anyone else's coping strategies when it comes to their own anxiety and what exactly are you anxious over, and what brings it on for you and what on earth settles it for you...

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Gypsy - I have been on this forum for a while now, and the reason why i came across it, were mostly due to searching for answers about anxiety and peri. My anxiety started about 4 months ago. I actually had to take time off work as it was so bad like it felt it was busy to consume my life. I even had the medicine experience as you describe. I was scared of getting in the car in the mornings to drop off the kids at school. Then I came across the forum and the ladies here suggested that i start using calcium magnesium and Vit d en b. I did, and I was also put on xanor .5mg once daily. It has been hell, but i am slowly getting out of this nightmare. I too started CBT and it really does help. The teach you ow to rekindle your brain, and to deal with the attacks. With every attack your brain gets stronger in dealing with it and i believe you will eventually get to a point to completely get it under control. I also downloaded a free app on my cell phone called Stop Panic an Anxiety. here they also teach you how to deal with the attacks. There is a dairy that you can update on a daily basis writing down your experiences - good and bad days. There are high relaxing audios that you can listen to as well.

The problem with the anxiety and peri is that your adrenaline glands are working overtime to re-adjust the low estrogen and progesterone levels and therefore you have no control over when the attacks comes on. Anything can trigger it. It has been hell for me, but i am slowly learning how to deal with it and accept that it is only a nasty symptom of peri. 

I do hope you find a good therapist that will help you to deal with all of this.

• Posted

Thank you Lela, this really helps. And also gives me hope! And so happy to hear the cbt therapy is working for you, now hopefully i can get it to work for me! This anxiety really runs your life. I guess I've always had a little bit of it, but ever since peri/meno it's becoming increasingly bad to where it's time I deal with it. And then again maybe I've been in the peri part of this change for a while now that perhaps I've had this anxiety since it started who knows! I will definitely look into those apps asap, thanks for sharing😌

• Posted

Wow....sitting on a train home reading this and smiled not because of you but because you made me feel normal. I have the same symptoms in the same places. My sister is the same so we lean on each other, a lot. We do breathing exercises and meditation now which helps enormously. Good luck to you in your quest to find a solution xx
  • Posted

Hello

sorry your going thru this, it must be very difficult time for you.

i have anxiety too, I suffer a lot as sometimes it's even difficult for me to swallow, it's like something is stuck in my throat. I get it when I sleep, like I'm dying my heart races, I jump out of bed scared.  

• Posted

Hi

I started with anxiety 8 months ago. Doc checked blood and I'm perimenopausal. I'm 42.

I started citalopram which eventually helped once the side effects wore off. I am also having a course of CBT which is really helpful.

I also try mindfulness and use the Calm app. It's very good.

• Posted

Thanks Ladies to everyone who shared their stories! It really gives me hope that I will one day be anxiety free or at least suffer less of it...😀

• Posted

This is from a very long time suffer of anxiety and panic disorder. I hope she still makes this program it's a woman by the name of "Lucinda Bassett" also  a suffer of anxiety. She got together with a doctor and made up this program. It's called anxiety and depression Lucinda Bassett look it up on the internet see what you think it helped me get my life back. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

One more thing I didn't use any drugs for my recovery just hard work and this program.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.