Cervical Smear - Is this normal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went for my first smear test  however I did not have it done due to how painful it was, I bled for the rest of the day however 2 days later it stopped bleeding I peed blood

Sorry but is this normal after an attempted smear test? i never had this before unless on my period but I stopped bleeding from the smear 2 days ago rolleyes

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I believe sometimes "tricky" smears are referred to colposcopy clinic as they have more experience than nurses. But RachyPress is a virgin!

Susan is correct skin on skin sexual contact can transmit HPV but again a woman's lifetime risk of cervical cancer is less than 1% and RachyPress will know if any such touching has occurred.

It's entirely the decision of each and every individual woman if she undergoes testing or not and again there is the self test option available.

• Posted

I have read through all the post and answers, and not one person seems to have mentioned the hymen.  As you were a virgin at the time of the test, I wonder if your bleeding and pain was caused by the speculum ripping your hymen.  It may be difficult for you but it might help you to talk to your mum or a close friend and ask if their first penetrative experience caused pain and bleeding.  Mine did.  I think the whole experience has been appallingly handled and referral for a colposcopy - which is NOT a nice experience - totally over the top.  I wish you all the best.
    • Posted

Felinia i had actually thought about of the hymen from the start and quite agree with what youv'e said hear. The whole thing makes me cringe to think of someone losing their virginity to a speculum and i think the whole incident needs a thorough complaint myself. and as you say has been  appallingly handled. No doubt the nurse took it for granted that Rachypress was sexually active. Well this should never have been presumed. really should it. 

• Posted

Yes - I feel so sorry for RachyPress.  I just hope in future she can find a loving partner who will help her overcome this trauma.  In recent years I have heard of several appalling incidents to close friends and family, where unfortunately complaints have had no effect.  I naively thought such incidents were very rare until then.  It seems to be one big cover up, shortage of staff, lack of adequate training, or blame underfunding.
    • Posted

All i can say is please please ladys dont be bullied into having these smears done of your not sexually active, if you do really need any sort of test or examination and your a virgin do please speak up and tell them first and make sure what your having done really is necessary.   

• Posted

Well small update I had the other thing cancelled, they said they would inform my GP to where she called me and in a "having a go at me" tone of voice was not happy I cancelled it. I explained to her the situation and left it at that. 

If I ever have to go for a smear test in the future I will make sure it is with a different GP who actually talks to me like a person and not my mother.

• Posted

I really hope this is not the case as I will not be happy at all rolleyes wouldn't be a fun story to tell my other half once I find one now would it if it is true. I am really hoping she just scraped the side and not actually that!

Yes I don't think nurse's should just assume people are sexually active. Would they get away with assuming a "big" person is pregnant just because they are big? do not think so rolleyes

• Posted

NO lady sexually active or not should ever be bullied into taking this or any other test. All medical tests and treatments are elective!
    • Posted

Your right there, about presuming some one is pregnant because they are big, no not the done thing.  What ever your horrible experience morally speaking your still a virgin and you should still think of yourself as one still when you meet Mr.  Right. Im sure as you say  by the sounds of it she just scraped the side and not actually that! 

Just found this on google and hope it reassures you , Somebody else complaining of same treatment

A Pap test is not going to take your virginity or make your vagina (or any part of your genitals) different. 

Sue 

• Posted

You are right that medical tests etc are elective.  I think 'bullied' is a strong word, I would tend to apply the term 'heavily persuavive' in my own experience with health professionals.  I think that if health personnel do come across as overbearing its probably because they care:  they've seen the effects of cancers on patients.  However, I would swap being bullied into a smear test any day than go through all the stuff connected with my cervical cancer:  not a view I held before my diagnosis.

• Posted

Jane while I respect your point the Internet has many threads where UK women state they have been removed from GP lists for refusing to test. As a condition of being accepted by a new surgery they are asked to sign a contract stating they will attend all smears and mammograms. Some have been denied asthat or other meds or even an appointment at all until they have a test. Sadly some practices are more interested in the money than the patient
    • Posted

That is disgusting, like others have said we have a right to decide what happens to our body and if we don't want it should not feel like we are being punished for it no matter if you take it or not.

• Posted

You're right RachyPress it is disgusting. The way you were treated is appalling.

I opted out in 2015. The LAW states under data protection it is ILLEGAL for an opted out woman to continue to be pestered about screening. This hasn't stopped my GP from raising the subject when reviewing my migraine meds or while diagnosing me with severe anaemia. For now the pestering has stopped but I'm sure it will start again. ..

• Posted

I agree that for surgeries to behave like that is not good and possibly counter productive:  every year 1 in 4 women do not attend their cervical screening appointments.  I do recall that the tone of my GP cervical reminder letters used to put my back up and made me feel alienated from the process.  For me I just wished those letters had been more supportive and perhaps offered the opportunity to have a conversation as to why I was no longer attending for my smear tests.  It seems to me there's a theme here of patients not getting relevant advice, information and support.   RachyPress did not get the advice she needed to make an informed decision before undergoing an attempted smear test.  So there's two examples of how some timely good advice could have saved an awful lot of trauma.

• Posted

Jane again I respect your point but it is now clearly stated it's a choice to screen. Forcing women yo have a smear test could keep them away from seeking treatment for serious or existing issues. I have followed the required procedures to opt out of screening. I believe no one is above the law. This includes doctors.

• Posted

I am very interested in your earlier references to hpv self testing. I can't find much info on personal experiences of using these tests. Have you tried any of them? I'm curious to know if they are easy to use or not.

• Posted

Hi jane.. I never tested but I have seen the delphi screener used by the Dutch women. I have a relation there who's a GP. SO...it's basically a sterile syringe device containing sterile fluid. You release the fluid wait 5 seconds depress syringe contents caught so you can stopper tube and send to lab. I don't know if you c get delphi here but super drug offer one for and round 50. X

• Posted

Jane, reading along on these posts and had a question for you, if you don't mind me asking it.  Before your cancer diagnosis, did you ever have an abnormal pap or positive HPV finding?  And did you have a squamous cell type or adenocarcinoma?  I'm surprised that your cancer was a Stage 2 with the short bout of symptoms you experienced before the diagnosis.  Was just curious and hope all is well with you. 

• Posted

Hi Yvonne, the last time I had a smear was 2004 age 47y. Up to that point I had fairly regular tests and all my results were normal. At no point was I ever told I was HPV+. I had squamous cell carcinoma. Throughout my 50s I had no vaginal discharge at all. With hindsight the only sign that something was wrong was a slight twinge during urinating but it was transitory and I thought it was an irritable urethra/bladder. The time between my first vaginal discharge and cancer diagnosis was maybe 6 months not least because it was about 3 months before I went to the GP. I get a lot of questions about my symptoms: no two women have the same experience so I'm always keen to say 'if in doubt get it checked with the GP and don't delay'. The side effects of this thing are a pain - thanks for asking. Happy to answer more questions if it helps.

• Posted

Hi Jane, thanks for responding.  So you were not told you had HPV if I'm understanding you correctly?  That is the primary cause of cervical cancer.  Sorry you had to endure your treatments and the aftermath but better than the alternative, right?  Hope you are improving each day and finding your normal sense of well being! 

• Posted

Hi Yvonne just to clarify: as far as I know I've never been tested for hpv.

I think things are improving albeit slowly; I am having to adapt to a new norm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.