Cervical Smear - Is this normal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went for my first smear test  however I did not have it done due to how painful it was, I bled for the rest of the day however 2 days later it stopped bleeding I peed blood

Sorry but is this normal after an attempted smear test? i never had this before unless on my period but I stopped bleeding from the smear 2 days ago rolleyes

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have heard of something similar to this before . A nurse saying it must be done...no,no,no......if you have never been sexually active there is absolutely no need at all.   A letter of complaint to the Practice Manager seems in order. This is totally unacceptable. 

Even if you are sexually active it has to be done with your consent,although it is then advisable.  What a terrible experience for you.     

• Posted

I may give them benefit of the doubt that they were just doing their job and might not be allowed to ask about sex-life or something even for that test but I will ask her if she rings/mails me again asking me to take another and see what she says about it being needed for non sexually active women.
  • Posted

RachyPress I'm really sorry you're having these problems and I for one would be complaining about your "nurse". I hate what these screening programmes do to women.

First: you're a virgin so your chances of having HPV which is responsible for over 99% of cervical cancer cases is negligible. Second the smear test is your choice as stated clearly on the "invitation " letters and leaflets sent out by the NHS. It does not have to be done as stated by your nurse. It is possible to opt out of the programme entirely as I have done to avoid any further "invitations " or pestering. .

Cancer research UK states a woman's lifetime risk of cervical cancer is 0.65%. Ie less than 1%. Very low. A non smoking person such as myself has an 8%risk of dying from lung cancer. There are around thirty million women in the UK of whom around 970 a year die of cervical cancer and a lot of those will in fact have attended every smear they were "invited "to. The test is only around 60%accurate in its current form which tests for abnormal cells. The uk is changing to primary HPV testing in 2019.

Should you wish to test for HPV you csn access a home test kit online from Super drug for around £50 which you can do at home. No speculum no nurse . You send it off and het the results by post in around 5 days.

Doctors receive incentives payments to push as many of us as possible into having smears which explains your nurses attitude. I'm 53 and opted out in 2015. I've not had a smear test for nearly 18 years I'm still alive and kicking. I hope you find peace....

• Posted

Hi Kittykatty

Well thats very reassuring to read, i never realised that Doctors receive incentives payments to push as many of us as possible into having smears which explains some nurses attitude. so you opted out in 2015. and not had a smear test for nearly 18 years and still alive and kicking.  Then you read about what happened to Jane. not good at all.

I guess we all know own bodys and know whats normal and whats not normal for us. Id rather pay ..£50 for a home test kit than have the smear done at the drs again.  So what does it mean then if it comes back positive, you then do need to have a smear test?

Sue 

• Posted

Over 99% of cervical cancer is HPV related. The Dutch and Finnish women have been offered a self test HPV kit for years now by their screening programme and would only be offered a conventional smear test if their sample came back as positive for high risk HPV.

British women are told cervical cancer is a huge threat to them. They MUST screen. I totally agree that many women rightfully have concerns about the test in its current form. It's hideously painful for many including menopausal and post menopausal women. There's no need for oestrogen cream or valium when we too could be offered a self test kit. One would expect the NHS to rush it in if they were so concerned about us but no we are just told it must be done and don't be silly suck it up.

Dr Angela Raffle in Bristol did research and found to save one life from cervical cancer you'd have to screen 1000 women for 35 years and of those women around 80 would go on to have colposcopy and possibly biopsy and treatment they probably wouldn't have needed. I totally agree that life is hugely precious. I have done my research and weighed up the risks...a menopausal woman with my history is extremely unlikely to have HPV and I'm happy to live with the very small risk though it's for every woman to decide for herself. I have no problem with screening programmes as such but I resent the way we are hounded and bullied into smears...

• Posted

Thanks for that info and i thoroughly agree with you,  It's hideously painful for many including menopausal and post menopausal women. that might explain then the pain on my last one.

I will save this info.

Sue 

• Posted

Also ....if a woman tests negative for HPV and is confidently monogamous or no longer sexually active. .she might well choose not to test again or test only if her circumstances change. Another reason I feel the NHS are dragging their heels introducing self screening. They want women in surgeries being conventionally smeared!
    • Posted

Thank you for the information, seems similar threads have also stated about the test not being accurate and such.

However I did not know they were pushing it on women for payment. Quite frankly I don't think I will be ringing back or booking a test anytime soon. 

I just wish they were honest about it instead of withholding information or wording it like they did in my letter.

• Posted

RachyPress you're welcome. It was actually decided not to bring in a prostate screening programme in for the men because of concern over test accuracy. Funny thing is it's as accurate as our life saving smear test but they didn't want to risk damaging the poor men. We're just expected to get on with it..

ALL medical screening and tests are elective. You have the right to say no thank you. Although you raise an interesting point..I thought the wording had changed to make it clearer and that you have a right to refuse?

I hope you find peace..please remember as a virgin this test is totally unnecessary no matter what the nurse says and it's everyone's choice what they do whatever their circumstances. For more info you could try patient paradox by Dr Margaret mc carntney. She goes into it in lots more detail and also discusses lots of other tests and treatments. She's a GP based in Scotland and refuses smears herself. .

• Posted

If it has I will have a word with my nurse next time I see her, I still have the letter and will bring it up on why they never informed me I didn't have to have one and could say no as well as the other clear missing information they did not even tell me when they clearly had the chance to.

• Posted

Update: It seems my nurse put me forward and booked me an appointment into a hospital without my permission, can she do this?

I no idea where the hospital is as I never heard of it before.

Please tell me Colposcopy is not painful like the smear test was because otherwise I will be ringing them to say I did not give the go ahead for this.

• Posted

What! First the smear test and now a Colposcopy  what on earth for? this is done where there was abnormal Pap smear result which you never had, im really confused now.  I would see your gp and find out whats going on hear. None of this is making sense at all.

Sue 

• Posted

Well said, susan. I was shocked to read about this. Something is wrong somewhere.
  • Posted

Have you actually told the nurse/doctor that you have never been sexually active and that you dont want this test?  Do ask why you have been referred for a colposcopy .   A colposcopy is much more involved than a smear test and I am struggling to know why this has been done. I assume the nurse thought you were sexually active,so please do get this straight with her   As I said before, you dont have to go for this test and you can just cancel the appt she has made at another hospital.   

The speculum should have been thoroughly coated with lubricant before insertion. Perhaps your Mum thinks you have had a sexual partner? 

Only you are in charge of what happens to your body,nobody else.

• Posted

The nurse does not know nor asked because I never knew the test was for active women in that area, you think she would of asked...

The nurse did say she will think of a plan B for me to take the test but said she would ring me about it, not just put me through! I think on Monday I will be ringing the hospital and telling them to cancel as well as ring and have a word with my nurse I question if she booked it before she left me a voice message and just thought it was ok to do. I asked for her to look for a plan B and then tell me not just go ahead without telling me.

The nurse didn't even mention lubricant, I asked if she had anything to make it easier for the test but said nope so I assume she doesn't know you can use it though I read some doctors have been stopped from using that.

No my mum knows I have never had sex, I still live with my parents and they know too well I am not that type of person. My mother may not about the test being for active women, maybe she was misinformed about the test as well

• Posted

My understanding is that skin on skin sexual contact without actual penetrative sex can put a woman at risk of infection with hpv.  Hence it is possible to be a virgin and to have a risk for cervical cancer.  If you have never had any sexual contact whatsoever then I would agree that you don't really need a cervical smear test.  I think Susan's suggestion that you discuss this thing with your GP is good.

• Posted

Had no contact like that at all, I will ring my GP and the Hospital and explain it to them after the New Year.

I also like to thank everyone for the information and advice given, thank you so much and have a wonderful New Year :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.