Cervical Spondylosis Pain Management

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

I've had Cerv Spond (C/S) over thirty years. I'm interested in hearing about any advice, for pain management , fellow sufferers may have outside of the usual medications, therapies and surgery usually advised by the professionals. Any advice is welcome, especially any relating to how to provide yourself with most comfort between appointments. Please feel free to add your comments.

Gerry

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Gerry

been a while since I was here, since I got a new diagnosis that means the CS is secondary to HMS/EDS, so I hang out on another forum now.

One of the things that keeps coming up on there are pain management courses of a residential nature. They teach you tricks like meditation, counselling and bio feedback techniques, along with physio and hydrotherapy etc... I haven't done this myself, but many of the peeps who have swear by it!. I'm assuming you haven't tried acupuncture, shiatsu, chiropractors, osteopaths etc.... Acupuncture stopped my mothers frozen shoulder from giving her any pain what so ever for 10 years or so. might be worth you looking into

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I don't know anything about HMS/EDS, so good luck with any treatments you try out. In the past, I've had several different courses of osteo, chiro, acupuncture, even neck traction . To be honest, I lost patience eventually with all of them...probably what lead me back to exploring the C/S aggravators from square one, and coming to my own conclusions about what might work best. After my experiences I'm a bit sceptical about any activity that can't be proven to work and so I tend to focus on the best ways to relax, to minimise worst symptoms. Anything to keep off the meds ! Still a work in progress. My current theory is that the road to better management of C/S lies simply in understanding the mechanics of the neck and having the ability to respond correctly to it's warning signals. The neck knows best !

C/S has been around a long time, and it was screaming out for a rethink..... so, if it takes five years to figure out an improvement, I'm happy with that.

p.s. I've just been trying out an infra red massager I got recently. It's a bit rough, so I think I'll wrap it with memory foam and try again.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and good luck with the new forum. Everytime I feel I should take nurofen, I think about what you said previously...it helps with my resistance.

Gerry

• Posted

Hi,

I was just recently diagnosed with the following: \"Spondylotic Disease C5/C6 with arteriol osteophytic spurring - no other findings.\"

I had an x-ray and went for the results 2 weeks later (last Tuesday). The doctor did not even bother to explain what this disease is, I had to ask her to write it down for me (her writings awful- so hope I have spelt it correctly) and go home to look it up on the Internet!! Someone had written on the x-ray \"Give her reassurance\" - I lie not!

Basically I feel like they just told me I am dying. The pain is excruciating and the meds do not 'touch' it. Four weeks ago when I first went to see the Doctor, she prescribed Arthrotec 50 and Tramadol; I take paracetamols too. I have tried to do without Meds. as I hate popping pills but find myself getting more and more desperate. I had surgery last June on my thumbs and was given Co-codamol 30 mg, for the pain but never took them; I have since taken 2 plus I took 1/2 a tablet tonight. Nothing helps at all!

I am seeing an Osteopath (on advice of a friend) next week but had to invoke the involvement of my MP before the doctor would give me a referral to make an appointment!! Then the receptionists could not make an appointment and AGAIN, I had to invoke my MP's involvement to get one. A really worrying situation or?

I am depressed and just want to curl up and die!! Four weeks ago I was fine and now I am going mad with pain, fear and worry. Please can you offer me any hope or comfort??

• Posted

Hi JeannieMac

Perhaps the best way to determine the exact causes of this type of neck trouble is by means of an MRI scan. Xrays don't always pinpoint the problem. The usual route for an MRI is for your GP to refer you to a physiotherapist, who will arrange the scan, and then possibly to a neurologist if the results of the scan warrant further attention. This process can be fast tracked by a willing physiotherapist.

It sounds like you might be experiencing an initial flare up, which should ease off with time, but which might reoccurr if the neck is aggravated in any way. Usually, there's no quick fixes, but painkilling meds can help get through the worst phases. And, of course, be extra careful not to put extra strain on the neck and rest it when needed. The symptoms differ in longevity and duration with each individual, so a little patience is required to see how they evolve. Good luck.

Gerry

• Posted

[quote:59f7ff0a44=\"Gerry the neck\"]Hi JeannieMac

It sounds like you might be experiencing an initial flare up, which should ease off with time, but which might reoccurr if the neck is aggravated in any way. Usually, there's no quick fixes, but painkilling meds can help get through the worst phases. Gerry[/quote:59f7ff0a44]

Thank you for responding 'Gerry'.

I so want to believe it is nothing more than 'an initial flare up' but after 4 weeks (today) of 24/7 pain, it looks doubtful don't you think?

I finished taking Arthrotec 50 last week and nothing improved. What makes you suspect it is an initial flare-up? See I am desperate for it to be so. I have a wonderful job and hate what this disease is doing to me and my life. I feel that my colleagues do not understand this illness (bad back is that all) and I would not fully confide in them anyway as I might lose my job. It has made me 'paranoid' with fear unfortunately and I can only see the 'worst' ahead for me. I get throught the day at work 'just' - but the evenings and especially the nights are terrifying for me; although I could sleep at the begining, I am having trouble sleeping at all now.

Dreadful disease eh?

• Posted

Hi JeannieMc

Absolutely dreadful indeed. I'm a long timer, 30 years now, and it's taken a lot of readjusting social life, work committments, etc etc . I'm probably more resigned to it now, and manage it better, than I did when I was younger. Then it interfered and conflicted with everything I wanted to do and it was all just a painful mess at times. Took a long time to get some balance back into my life. Nowadays I have a slightly insulated comfort zone where I know I can retreat to and get through the tough phases, and that really works for me.

Nobody knows how long a flare up might last, especially if there are continuous aggravating factors such as unsuitable sleeping arrangements or minor activities which might be adding to it. A good memory foam mattress, or m/f topper can help with aches. Also a good cervical pillow (not m/f) can help. Or even adjusting your sleeping posture by taking naps on a sofa. THe medications can help to numb the pain, but that's all they do. The sleeping adjustments can help interupt the cycle of aches especially if you have a sleeping routine which contributes to the duration of the symptoms. This is difficult to tell until you've tried alternatives...and if you discover any improvements...we'd all like to know how.

Gerry

• Posted

\"Also a good cervical pillow (not m/f) can help. \"

Have looked on the internet and not sure which 'cervical pillow' you mean?

Can you give me a web address & picture of one please; don't want to get the wrong type and really need to do something about my sleeping arrangements.

I have had a pretty rought 'night and day' but off for the weekend so hopefully will 'catch-up' on my rest.

• Posted

Hi

If ypu search Amazon for: ExtraTouch Orthopaedic Cervical Neck Support Pillow From ExtraComfort 60x45x7cm (23.6x17.7x2.8 inches). They cost about £30. And they might take a couple of nights to get used to. For me, they really helped with reducing morning headaches. You can get a M/F mattress topper, the thicker the better, from most big stores, or on internet. The best quality is Tempura, but it's expensive. Cheaper variations about £70 for a single. Again it might take a couple of nights to adjust to using it, but usually worthwhile.

Gerry

• Posted

[quote=\"Gerry the neck\"]Hi

If ypu search Amazon for: ExtraTouch Orthopaedic Cervical Neck Support Pillow From ExtraComfort 60x45x7cm (23.6x17.7x2.8 inches). They cost about £30.

Again, thanks!

I have bought an orthopedic pillow today and will give it a try. May get the one above if it does not work out. I already have a bed with the topping you recommend; got it two years ago for 'back' pain before my present diagnosis!

Do you know of any forums for fellow suffers that is 'busier' than this one?? I think it helps to 'not feel alone' with this disease as it is easy to become depressed by it. I am taking more and more meds and getting less and less pain relief. I find they just 'zonk' me out a little with pain still lurking in background. Not feeling very well today; got up this a.m. with dizziness and lots of pain in back of neck, shoulder and arm.

I hate not being able to do things like, clean my house, as I used to. Very frustrating! Constant paine = constant tiredness.

• Posted

Hi

The only other site I use is Online Physio Forum but I don't think it offers what you're looking for. It's more for discussing treatments. However, there are other forums out there which cater more for patients interacting with each other. Good luck with pillow. I use mine, when needed, with a thin flatish pillow underneath and the Cerv pillow tilted slightly to one side...seems to suit my neck, maybe different for you. You could also try sleeping or napping ocassionally on a sofa with head more upright, supported by pillows/sofa arm. It helps shift the aches about, and you might be surprised how different it feels when you wake. It's all trial and error/success until you find postures that suit your neck...bearing in mind that these are my suggestions only and not what a P/therapist would recommend. But that's another story !

Gerry

• Posted

Hi again

PS...

Re comment 'initial flare up'. I said that because you said you were fine before recent events. You may have tried to move or lift something heavier than you can manage and thus set it off. It becomes a bit of a learning process assessing what we can and cannot do physically to avoid setting it off continually. For instance, digging in garden, or working overhead can set mine off, but I won't feel it for a couple of days...and then it kicks in and can take days or weeks to shift. I think it's good not to have total reliance on painkillers during these phases because they hold their own dangers with long term usage.

Gerry

• Posted

[quote=\"Gerry the neck\"]Hi

\"Good luck with pillow. I use mine, when needed, with a thin flatish pillow underneath and the Cerv pillow tilted slightly to one side...seems to suit my neck, maybe different for you.\"

Hi Gerry,

Slept the 'best' ever last night; only woke up twice!!

My pillow came from Dunelm Mill in Barnsley. It is called a 'Clusterdown' - Orthopaedic contoured pillow, £12.99!!

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/clusterdown-orthopaedic-contour-pillow-110549

I am not going to rush back and get another one (although I want to) but will wait and see how it goes. If I continue to sleep better than before then certainly will buy another.

I have my Orthopaedic Doctor appointment tomorrow (21st) and back to GP on Wednesday!! I must find out if the prognosis for me is 'hopeful' or 'dire'!!

Have a nice Sunday!!

• Posted

Good luck with pillow. I use mine, when needed, with a thin flatish pillow underneath and the Cerv pillow tilted slightly to one side...seems to suit my neck, maybe different for you.

Hi Gerry,

This site 'sucks' really as if a webaddress is included in a post it goes off somewhere never to be seen again. I posted something to you on the 12th and it's still not been moderated!!

I slept reasonably well last night with my new pillow from Dunelm Mill; only woke up a few times. It is called a Clusterdown Orhopaedic contoured pillow £12.99. I see why you told me to 'google' for the amazon pillow! I am not going to rush off and buy another just yet- will wait and see; might have been a 'one-off'!!

I do not think the 'moderators' are doing their job or they are on strike perhaps!!

• Posted

Hi Jean

You need to Google

Healthboard Message Board

Scroll down message board on the right side till you get to

( Spinal cord disorders ) you may find it helpful.

Bob2

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.