Cervical Spondylosis Pain Management

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

I've had Cerv Spond (C/S) over thirty years. I'm interested in hearing about any advice, for pain management , fellow sufferers may have outside of the usual medications, therapies and surgery usually advised by the professionals. Any advice is welcome, especially any relating to how to provide yourself with most comfort between appointments. Please feel free to add your comments.

Gerry

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

[quote:c43d78aeff]This site 'sucks' really as if a webaddress is included in a post it goes off somewhere never to be seen again. I posted something to you on the 12th and it's still not been moderated!!

I do not think the 'moderators' are doing their job or they are on strike perhaps!! [/quote:c43d78aeff]

I am currently the only moderator and work a \"normal\" working week so therefore if any posts are left over the weekend, as these 2 were, with a weblink in it will take until Monday morning to be approved. There wasn't a post from the 12th otherwise it would have been OK'd before now. The 2 in this thread were from Fri 18th and Sun 20th.

In the FAQ section there is info on how to leave links if you do not wish the post to be sent for moderation, basically miss the http and first \"w\" off of the start of the link. So ww.amazon.com... for example.

It means it's not \"hot\" but other users can copy into the browser and add the w. We have to auto alert links in posts otherwise the forum would be flooded with spammers.

We are going to launch a new site in the near future where more users are able to moderate so hopefully this might help speed up the process.

I hope this helps.

Emis Moderator.

• Posted

[quote:5528da1524=\"B0b2\"]Hi Jean

You need to Google

Healthboard Message Board

Scroll down message board on the right side till you get to

( Spinal cord disorders ) you may find it helpful.

Bob2[/quote:5528da1524]

Hi Bob2

and thanx for this!!

• Posted

I had my appointment with Orthopaedic Doc. and got a referral to see a Physiotherapist. He wrote on the Referral, \"As soon as possible.\" Which made me feel like things were moving at least. He prescribed me Lyrica 75mg hard capsules, Pregabalin. I think I've seen other folks write about this medication somewhere but can't remember what was written. He said it takes a couple of days for it to kick in. Had another good night with my 'pillow' so will get another one next weekend.

The Ortho. Doc. also said my xray looked 'very good' and that any woman my age would have a similar xray. Not sure I am 'falling' for this as not all women my age are walking around in constant pain, if not 'drugged-up' and do not have a pinched nerve, which he said was causing my pain.

I took NO medication today before seeing the Doctor and I was in agony at work and could not do my job right and felt angry/depressed!! Took a co-codamol as soon as I could after wards to 'numb' me!!

Any comments on my new meds anyone?

• Posted

Hi Jeannie

Doc. also said my xray looked 'very good'?

x-ray only good for looking at bones and is cheaper than an MRI scan which is what I needed,well after Physio and years of going back and foe to the Doctors and loosing work,now I am going to have ACDF so I maybe able to go back to work.

I did damaged my discs after being rear ended by a car 20 years ago and now c4-c5 disc has giving up.

• Posted

[quote:48e179e417=\"B0b2\"]Hi Jeannie

Doc. also said my xray looked 'very good'?

x-ray only good for looking at bones and is cheaper than an MRI scan which is what I needed,well after Physio and years of going back and foe to the Doctors and loosing work,now I am going to have ACDF so I maybe able to go back to work.

I did damaged my discs after being rear ended by a car 20 years ago and now c4-c5 disc has giving up.[/quote:48e179e417]

Hi Bob,

I did not believe what the doc. said for a moment! I have never felt so bad or so much pain before, in my life. I got up this morning JUST and put that down to the fact that the 'Doctor' made me do things with my neck; like try to put it in positions it was obvious it could not go. Like that's how I came to be here, in the world of pain, by 'twisting' my neck doing something stupid. I guess it will take days for my neck to recover from his 'tender' ministrations!! Have you ever tried the medication he gave me (earlier post); gabapentin I think it is called. I take 2 a day and it's supposed to stop the nerve pain. How can that work then if the nerve is pinched? Or if the discs are Kaput! I looked up your operation and got this information below. I think it will be where I will end up but there is no guarantee of long term success. I have looked on the 'net and it seems people have recurring problems a few years later! All I can think about is the things I wanted to do that now I can't. I had recently joined a geological society and cannot go with them on 'digs' as it will hurt my neck. I am gutted!!

[b:48e179e417]Overview[/b:48e179e417]

Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) is a surgical procedure performed to remove a herniated or degenerative disc (Fig. 1) in the cervical (neck) spine. The surgeon approaches the spine from the front, through the throat area. After the disc is removed, the vertebrae above and below the disc space are fused together. Your doctor may recommend a discectomy if physical therapy or medication fail to relieve your neck or arm pain caused by inflamed and compressed spinal nerves. Patients typically go home the same day; recovery time takes 4 to 6 weeks.

ww.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-ACDF.htm

Left a 'w' off the address as apparantly it gets moderated if written in full!!

• Posted

Hi

Jen

After taken pain killers and ubrofen ,ice packs, naproxen and having physio and needles in arm, neck hands and shoulders over the last four years they can only do so much and can’t do anymore, I got this from ebay

Neck Support Traction Cervical Collar Item number: 230665147309 .

Got the pressure off my trapped nerve feeling in my neck down to my arm, hand and thumb ,then used a soft collar for a few hours and with rest I managed to get back to work for a while but then I had to give work up as I just got worse, now I have to try ACDF there’s are no guarantees that I will be fit and able to get back to work or I may be worse off after it .Anyway see how it goes .

• Posted

Hi guys

Traction is great! I'm very tempted to buy an over the door one. I'm currently having a major flare up. Feels like a disk has slipped again or another one has decided to join the party :shock: Been having horrible nerve pains in my arms and legs and been prescribed pregabalin at the same dosage as JeannieMC. It has only started working today and I have to say it's pretty good. I havent needed as much co-codamol and I'm sleeping really well.

I see the pain clinic consultant and physio in the next couple of weeks and also a rheumatologist, but the bu**ers are only interested in my back not my neck.. what can you do?

• Posted

Hi,

Well the Pregabalin capsules were great FOR 2 DAYS!!

Have had a veryyy sore shoulder and especially my forearm and back of hand (right side) most of the day and night. Have also taken 1 Co-codamol to no avail. Had really thought I had 'cracked' it; how very disappointing!!

Have Physio appointment 6th December and am asking for an MRI scan to determine what is really wrong with my neck.

Had an appointment on Wednesday with my GP who finally explained what CS is all about in terms of my x-ray (5 weeks later!!). She said my 'discs' are fine; that I have a 'calcium' spur(s) which is probably catching on a nerve. She said her son had a 'spur' on his elbow although not sure how that was supposed to make me feel any better or?? Her husband, a plastic surgeon, has also had a back problem requiring surgery when it affected his hand. Why do I think he might have received 'better' treatment than I can ever hope to receive, or is the pain making me feel 'cynical'??

Hope I get to feeling less pain over the weekend.

• Posted

Hi

Yes, you are gettimg cynical.....but it's not the pain ! It's your intuition telling you how far down the pecking order your condition has raised you to !

The spurs are common to C/S, and they can interfere with nerve roots, sometimes requiring surgery. There's also an argument that suggests that they grow in order to stabilise the joint, and that having them removed can unsettle the rest of the neck and lead to further trouble down the road. It could be said that the spurs are the neck's natural defence for C/S...in fact they are, and I think the neck is it's own best therapist and surgeon Which is best...to live with and manage what's already there or take the risk of improving or worsening the symptoms. Removing the spurs definitely restores hand / arm back to normal, but it can have different effects on other symptoms, especially in tne neck area. I'm at the same crossroads myself, and I've decided to choose no surgery for as long as poss. In fact, 2years on from initial hand problems and a lot of power and flexibility has restored naturally. I can write ok again, hammer a nail again, and even play guitar again...better than ever I reckon ! Probably best to check out forums for patient's comments after they've had Foraminal Laminectomy op and see for yourself, before opting for anything.

Gerry

• Posted

[quote:222659a5a8=\"Gerry the neck\"]Hi

Yes, you are gettimg cynical.....but it's not the pain ! It's your intuition telling you how far down the pecking order your condition has raised you to !

Probably best to check out forums for patient's comments after they've had Foraminal Laminectomy op and see for yourself, before opting for anything.

Gerry[/quote:222659a5a8]

Hi,

You're right of course about my 'intuition'. If I remember correctly, you have spoken 'highly' of your doctors in other posts, whereas I have not met one yet that I feel is trustworthy or sincere! The 'Orthopaedic Doc' I saw last Monday [b:222659a5a8]REALLY[/b:222659a5a8] hurt my neck and waking up Tuesday morning was indescribable; like I was in a nightmare of pain. Anger made me make it in to work! Drugs eventually put me back, to where I was before his ministrations. As mentioned previously, his Pregabalin worked for a couple of days!

I have already checked out other people's experiences of surgery and it would appear 'hit and miss'. Has to depend on the surgeon/hospital surely? Cynicism again! I get the impression that you do not work Gerry, is that right? Work keeps me sane! I never needed it as much (emotionally) and worry the pain will get too bad and make me have to quit my job.

My Boss is having surgery on her back Thursday, and not expected back to work till mid-February. That's more than the 4-6 weeks recovery I have read about for surgery for CS. She has degenerative discs and a cyst has formed to try to protect her vertebrae, which will now be removed during surgery. She is also having 'fusion' of the vertebrae I believe. She rides a lot and has been told she will be 'good to go' after surgery. It has taken her 7 months to get to this place, she is in great pain all the time but decided against private treatment.

I was wondering, is it correct, that with NHS treatment/operations etc. we can go to any hospital we want and does that include choosing the doctor who operates on us? Anybody know anything about this; do we have choices?

• Posted

Hi

Not true that I think 'highly' of them Only in last two years have I met Physio and Neurologist who seem user friendly. Before that...28 years of disappointments. Even the recent Neuro, when I first attended (UCLH London), I was seen by her trainee who insisted that I would need an op. When I eventually got to see the Neuro , she wanted to know how I was managing, and she gave me the choice of carrying on or opting for surgery. Currently I have an 'open appointment', so if things suddenly get worse, I can get in touch directly, without having to go through the usual long winded referral delays. Suits me because I'm more interested in seeing if the trapped nerve can ease up by itself over time, and the risks, at the moment, don't seem worth the risk ! I think every C/S patient will have their own decision to make depending on toleration levels. As it happens, two years on, although my hand is still semi-numb, there is little pain and I've learned to reuse it (at the time, I couldn't write my name!). There are recorded cases of symptoms resolving without any interferance. That's the catagory I'd like to fit into.

Re work...I am a self employed decorator ( 25 years) which allows me time out when I need it (regularly). Don't think I could do a proper 9 to 5. I would simply be too anxious every night wondering what the next morning would be like. It would just up my medications, and that's a no no. Guess I'm lucky to have means of survival that fits my condition, rather than a condition which doesn't fit my means of survival. I get someone in to do all overhead work because I can't risk it. I'm mostly fine with any work which doesn't involve overhead or lifting heavy weights. Unfortunately, C/S, unless it involves mobility impairment (Myleopathy), doesn't really qualify for disability benefits and, mostly, we are left to fend for ourselves. It's a grey area where classification for entitlement is concerned.

Re hospital choices etc.....my physio gave me the choice of two hospitals when referring me to neuro. I choose UCLH because they've got a reputation. I don't know if everyone will get this sort of choice, might just be a London thing, but as far as I know you will have the right to ask for a different consultant or surgeon if you think there's a problem. Of course, they'll always view this a bit negatively, but your concern should always be for yourself and the best treatment you think you can get. It seems the more risks involved in any op, the more they try to talk it up positively, perhaps just to convince themselves! And, you only get one chance to ask the awkward questions about post op expectations.

You might be interested in some posts I put up on 'The Physio Forum' under 'cervical spondylosis'. My thing is to try and encourage a rethink of their approach to C/S on the grounds that current therapies don't work. I don't know if they're listening, or trying not to listen, but that just makes me more determined.

Gerry

• Posted

[quote=\"Gerry the neck\"]Hi

Not true that I think 'highly' of them Only in last two years have I met Physio and Neurologist who seem user friendly. Before that...28 years of disappointments.

[u:e5d446d676][i:e5d446d676][b:e5d446d676]Yes, very disappointing![/b:e5d446d676][/i:e5d446d676][/u:e5d446d676]

As it happens, two years on, although my hand is still semi-numb, there is little pain and I've learned to reuse it (at the time, I couldn't write my name!). There are recorded cases of symptoms resolving without any interferance. That's the catagory I'd like to fit into. Re work...I am a self employed decorator ( 25 years) which allows me time out when I need it (regularly). Don't think I could do a proper 9 to 5. I would simply be too anxious every night wondering what the next morning would be like. It would just up my medications, and that's a no no.

[i:e5d446d676][b:e5d446d676]Wow!! Impressed that you are a 'decorator' with a 'weak' hand (right/left?) You are something of an inspiration, at least I shall consider you one and take 'heart' from your experiences and positive attitude. I like it that you attempt to get by without 'meds'; I am a bit worried about what I see as the next phase in my CS. When I go to the GP and say the Pregabalin is 'useless' against the pain - what then?? I have a stressful job - teacher, full-time and do have that worry you mentioned of having to cope every morning and get to work inspite of the level of pain; not sure I can do it without meds. Perhaps I might be able to get by on small doses of co-codamol but what about the 'long-term risks'? Teaching is a bit like a 'production' and the 'show' must go on regardless of how I feel. Fortunately, I no longer teach in mainstream but in a small school with only a few kids in each class so the level of work is much reduced!! However, still concerned in case no longer 'fit' enough to do it. [/b:e5d446d676][/i:e5d446d676]

Unfortunately, C/S, unless it involves mobility impairment (Myleopathy), doesn't really qualify for disability benefits and, mostly, we are left to fend for ourselves. It's a grey area where classification for entitlement is concerned.

[i:e5d446d676][b:e5d446d676]REALLY? If I had to leave my employment due to my condition, I could not claim Disability Benefits? How are we expected to live then, on fresh air? Seems a bit harsh. I would sooner work than be on benefits but who knows how this is going to go?[/b:e5d446d676][/i:e5d446d676]

Re hospital choices etc.....my physio gave me the choice of two hospitals when referring me to neuro. I choose UCLH because they've got a reputation.

[i:e5d446d676][b:e5d446d676]Something for me to look into if it gets to surgery. My boss has had 7 months of constand pain, surviving on co-codamols and soon she will be pain free and I am so envious. [/b:e5d446d676][/i:e5d446d676]

You might be interested in some posts I put up on 'The Physio Forum' under 'cervical spondylosis'. My thing is to try and encourage a rethink of their approach to C/S on the grounds that current therapies don't work. I don't know if they're listening, or trying not to listen, but that just makes me more determined.

[i:e5d446d676][b:e5d446d676]Ever thought that CS is just not 'sexy' enough for them to bother about? Doubt it will ever attract the funding for research that Cancer/Heart/Strokes do for example. [/b:e5d446d676][/i:e5d446d676]

Thanks for you reflections and help 'Gerry'; it's good to not feel alone in this. Even though the pregabalin is not the miracle cure I had hoped for, it is better than 'nothing' at all and I will need support if in future I have to 'go it alone' without meds. like you are doing! [i:e5d446d676][b:e5d446d676]HAVE A GREAT WEEK EVERYBODY WITH CS![/b:e5d446d676][/i:e5d446d676]

• Posted

Hi again Guys

Jeanie, I've just been informed by my rheumatologist that 75mg of pregabalin is just a starting dose, they slowly build it up over several months to get the full effect. Like you it seemed ok for a few days only to come back with a vengeance. I see my pain consultant tomorrow and my GP next week and expect the dosage to be upped to the next level. Hope you dont give up on them just yet. I will keep you guys updated on how I get on with mine

Sarah

• Posted

Hi again, bit late in replying.

Had a horrid time up to christmas which peaked just before new year, fortunately I had an appointment with my Gp that day re - pregabalin and it lack of effectiveness . She put me back on tramadol and kept the pregabalin at 75mg. She saw me at my worst, my neck/shoulder area was in complete and total spasm and had been for months. I was prescribed a weeks course of diazepam. I sort of floated around for most of the week, but was relatively pain free, on the 8th day I woke up the spasm was GONE and now I just maintain it with a 2.5mg diazepam at bedtime.

Flare ups are awful, the problem I have is knowing what is actually causing the pain is it CS or my EDS hypermobility. Pretty sure it was CS this time.

• Posted

Hi Everyone

Here are copies of some articles about pain. Read at your own risk!

I’m a big fan of that moment, just before I fall asleep, when something washes over me and I fall into painfree sleep. I can only put it down to the possibility of the sub-conscious taking over the default nerve processes, which have been subject to conscious control whilst awake. One of two events seems to occur, either the nervous system opens the neurological gateways for releasing natural pain killing chemicals, or it simply puts its signalling on hold. I find it hard to believe that it shuts down its signalling, when an injury whilst sleeping would cause pain and wake us. So, I’m more inclined towards the gateways being opened as an explanation. And that’s what it feels like, its like a unifying event occurs within us which gives us a ‘complete’ cozy feeling just as we doze off. This is probably more noticeable by anyone with a chronic painful condition, and more so when no medications are involved.

The big question here is…..why doesn’t this happen when we’re not sleeping, or just about to fall asleep. A probable explanation for this might be that, whilst awake, our conscious being is allowed to assume dominance over the sub-conscious, and it won’t allow the sub-conscious to instruct reactions which it doesn’t quite ‘understand’. Alternatively, there is also the issue that the sub-conscious, ‘knowing’ that its defense systems are perfect, won’t allow any ‘corrupt’ conscious control, which might compromise the integrity of its own endeavours, and so it stops short of finishing its task. There are no such barriers when we sleep. It might simply be that the day belongs to the conscious, and the night belongs to the sub-conscious. Either way, to me, when the sub-conscious is in control, it does its job well, and wins all arguments. When the conscious is in control, we seem confused, in pain, and open to all sorts of irrational responses.

One would normally assume that the sub-conscious processes, because of their nature as our primary defense, would take precedence all the time. This obviously doesn’t happen. Perhaps the sub-conscious has the ability to allow the conscious to be the dominant decision maker whilst awake, just so it can guage what our reactions might be if left to fend for ourselves. This would depend on our sub-conscious system being pre-programmed to allow for irrational responses, as a continual learning technique, on the assumption that our conscious being is capable of behaving like a wayward child. There’s nothing to say that it doesn’t have such-like properties, except our arrogance in assuming that our conscious awareness is somehow perfect.

So, just to get all this straight. The sub-conscious system is perfect, and reliable, and it offers us a painfree sleeping event. The conscious system, which overrides this whilst awake, is imperfect, unreliable, and it doesn’t know how to unlock neurological gateways to painkilling chemicals. There must have been a time when both these systems meshed together and worked for the greater good. There seems no sense in just accepting that they’re inherently designed to conflict with each other endlessly. Perhaps the one has had to evolve, over the millennia, to counteract the inconsistencies of the other. Where they both meet in conflict is where the sensation of pain is manifested. If the sub-conscious is capable of going about its business whilst we sleep in a painfree manner, then it is also capable of achieving similar results when we are awake. Unfortunately, its way is blocked, and that blockage is signalled to our conscious being in the form of pain. If all this sounds in any way probable, perhaps the solution lies in somehow allowing the sub-conscious to have dominance whilst awake. I’m not one to bother myself with Eastern Mysticism, but maybe those Sufi Whirling Dervishes were closer to the answers th

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.