Cervical vertigo

Posted , 9 users are following.

Recently, I finally got into a P.T. For what I thought was BPPV. During my visit she couldn't find any traditional symptoms to support that.

She had me doing other tests involving my neck. Low and behold the light went on. I've been suffering a lot of issues due to my neck.

Now since doing exercises for my neck, I'm feeling pretty darn good. Anyone else have this prognosis? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

VERY interesting!!!!  I have had neck issues for years.  I have never suffered from whiplash but have often been asked by PT when I'm being treated for neck issues if I have ever been in a car accident or suffered whiplash. So whatever is going on in my neck presents itself like whiplash. I have been wondering about whether my neck is causing or at least involved in my BPV... I saw an osteopath last week who also thinks that this could be the case. I'm going back to my PT today so am going to ask him to do some work w my neck!!!!!!!
    • Posted

Yay Brett! I will say after the PT did a lot of other ruling out maneuvers, she figured I was not your typical bppv case. One test she had me do was stand with my arms out to my side (like I was going to flap my wings) and I believe turn my head and turn the palms of my hands downward one at a time. At that moment, I felt very nauseous. Hence the correlation between neck and vertigo.
    • Posted

You should Google cervical vertigo. I had never heard of this until after my appt. I work at a day spa and have massage therapists who are going to help me with my exercises.

Along with the vertigo I'd been experiencing, I have some tinnitus. This is also common with cervical issues. I'm glad to report I'm feeling some relief.

• Posted

Hi Bret I am just wondering if the osteopath helped with your verito at all? I have been suffering from verigo for 7 months it is a long story but the doctors do not know what is causing it so I went to  a Chinese medal centre who said my head in not sat in my neck correctly which could be causing the veritgo... I have been to see an osteopath who has confirmed my lower vertibra in my back is tilted which had caused my neck to tilt which means my head is not sat in my neck correctly... I am still paying for these appointments but the doctor has advised they have never herd of cervical verigo and it will more than likely be my ears after 2 Ent appointments who have advised it will pass I am at my wits end with this now! Any information would be brilliant thank you 
  • Posted

I've been having neck pain associated with vertigo and have an appointment to see the spine doctor. I was also diagnosed with BPPV and think it was a misdiagnosis. When you have neck pain do you have bad headaches? I get headaches all through the back of my head and top. I think it has to do with my neck pain.

Glad your exercises are working!

-Lindsay

• Posted

Lindsay, I think you're heading in the right direction!!

I wasn't actually having any pain just balance issues and vertigo feelings without the spinning.

Good luck to you and keep us all posted. This forum seems to help.

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Can you share what types of exercises you do for your neck? My PT said that I have the triple whammy meaning nerve damage, positional problems, and neck tightness/problems contributing to my dizziness. I saw her for primarily the first two and she did not get a chance to really work on my neck before my insurance denied further visits. Any specific exercises would be helpful, as I think mine is more rooted in cervical vertigo. Do/did you have any issues with certain positions in bed? This is my problem but they have ruled out BPPV.

Thank you,

Ally

• Posted

Hi Allison, was reading your posts and I too have awful neck problems.  Mine are,supposedly caused by what my Rheumatologist calls 'wear and tear.  I,have been having Bowen treatment,ent once a month. If you google it you'll get a good description on how it works. It's basically treating the muscle and nerve connection. I realise,you may not get it on your insurance. I'm in UK and our Health system doesn’t do it, so I have to pay. but it's ,v.good and maybe once a month as I do it as I dont have much money, you could,try it?

when my neck is really bad as today due to doing to much, I resort,to heat pads on my neck (and lower back). I also,do some gentle neck exercises my Bowen lady gives me. I can describe main one on a PM if you want.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.