Chamomile Tea

Posted , 13 users are following.

How many have tried it?

I have been trying this tea...and I have been trying to remember it nightly.

Its amazing to feel relaxed...even if it only lasts a little bit.

I always try to have it an hour before bed....this herb is supposed to have calming tendencies...and it does....especially you feel like YOU are doing something nice for yourself and YOUR ANXIETY.

I used to roll my eyes at the mention of anything herbal because I didn't

believe in it...I do now.

If you haven't tried it...try it.

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

But I would also reccomend rescue remedy. It's the best supplement for immediate anxiet relief.. It has saved me many times.

• Posted

What is rescue remedy? I'm not going to have time to look it up..have an appt. early this a.m. and then i will forget to look it up...so write back and remind me to look this up? 

Or tell me what this is?

Thank you Heat.

• Posted

It's an alcohol-based mixture of calming herbs. It tastes disgusting and I have never found it helpful.

It is in a base of brandy, so probably not an ideal choice for someone with AUD

• Posted

They sell it at gnc/vitamin shop or any supplement store I get it from Amazon

I have pretty bad anxiety and it works well for me. It's a fast acting anxiety relief product

• Posted

Hey Tess, check Cia's post about the chamomile, starts with "I have found out something very interesting. I am absolutely too calm..." 

Might help you out? 

• Posted

Excuse me people...LOL.

I just posted a post about benefits of Chamomile pills ....it states in there (the info I copied).....that the Chamomile DOES stay in your body....researchers from that article find that interesting too.

• Posted

yes misssy I too recommend it to people i have been taking it for three months now and yes i sleep like a baby and it keeps me calm sometimes i drink it in the day too.
    • Posted

Most of here are on antidepressants, and more and more of us are drinking it.  Chamomile tea made from the flowers, with no other ingredients will help you tremendously.

You are very wise to ask your question...some herbs and flowers do not  go well with some meds.

• Posted

I prefer it when it cools down to luke warm rather than drinking it hot it tastes better to me 
  • Posted

There are chamomile caps you can get, Misssy. I've got some coming for occasional insomnia, I believe it's the herb with a standardized extract. There are also caps with just the herb. Apigenin is supposedly the active ingredient. 

People should take care if they're allergic to ragweed, though I've read posts by people that are allergic to ragweed and are able to use chamomile. 

There was a fellow that tried a number of herbal remedies for insomnia and listed the pros and cons of each, I'll try to find it again. Chamomile came out on top as I remember.

• Posted

That list would be awesome..you don't sleep either ADE...you were up with tess and I last night too...lol...you guys need more tea!

• Posted

Yeah, it's been on and off lately. There were a few nights that I couldn't drop off till 4am. The thing with the tea close to bedtime is getting up in the night to get rid of it. I'll let you know how the standardized caps work.

• Posted

Before bed, I make a big strong mug of the tea, and drink about half. When I wake to go to the bathroom,(which I do tea or no tea) I drink the other half and go back to sleep.
    • Posted

The article was "I USED MYSELF AS A GUINEA PIG FOR 8 ALTERNATIVE SLEEP AIDS" on ..... wait for it..... wait for it....

Wired!

• Posted

It was on "Wired". 

I can't put the link here, so google the title and you'll find it.

• Posted

LOL...I was waiting for the link....BUT....

I just copied the sentence...going to search it now.

Thank you!

• Posted

From the "I USED MYSELF AS A GUINEA PIG"

How about sleep quality? Looking at all the single-product supplements, chamomile gave me the soundest night’s sleep—so deep one night that my wife reported she was unable to rouse me during a snoring jag.

Melatonin was the big surprise. Some of my worst nights I experienced during testing were ones in which I’d taken this drug. After melatonin, I tossed and turned in bed, waking repeatedly throughout the night—once close to a dozen times. 

Valerian was not much better. On this drug I experienced wild dreams, lots of waking, and extreme next-morning fatigue. The valerian pills also smelled awful, like pungent, wet cardboard, a problem not to be underestimated when you have to choke it down at bedtime.

But the absolute worst was lemon balm. The first night I tried it I woke repeatedly with an unbearably full bladder. Three lengthy trips to the bathroom later, lemon balm’s apparent diuretic effect started causing significant concern. I discontinued it soon after for fear of kidney damage or worse.

Thank you for this information....so Chamomile Tea or Chamomile Supplements are the answer!

However, I take Melatonin and I don't have the same results as this guy.

• Posted

I tried a few 1mg pills one night and it just wouldn't do the trick. They were pretty old, I'll pick up some 5mg tabs next time, but I'm going to try the chamomile first. 

• Posted

I take the 10mg...pills which I know probably isn't good...but none of the others work for me.

I'm going to look up chamomile pills and see what the deal is with them...if they even have pills...cause I buy the tea....and haven't really researched Chaomile PILLS.

I don't think taking 10mg of Melatonin is good...I keep reading it is NOT..LOL

• Posted

Watch that melatonin!!  Check with pharmacist!!

There is something about the warm mug of tea that is almost as comforting as the tea. If one does get a pill, make sure there are no other "things" in there. How they process the tea to make the pill can make a big difference, also.

When one puts something in the mouth and holds it a moment before swallowing, some goes through the mucosal membraneof the mouth  and into the bloodstream right away. With a pill, it has to go to the stomach and part of the digestive process before getting into the bloodstream. Happy chamomile to everybody.cheesygrin

• Posted

One double teabag should do the trick, Ade.
    • Posted

I'll give it a shot, I've got some old STASH tea sealed in the factory foil bags. Plenty of it down at the local grocery too.

Alonangel, are you reading this? 

• Posted

I have found out something very interesting. I am absolutely too calm and relaxed all day every day lately. I just tracked that to drinking so much of the tea every day for a couple of weeks. I didn't know that It stays in the system a long time. I have decided to try one cup (double tea bag) to start the day, and one cup at bedtime.

I think a person with a lot of anxiety symptoms could start with three or four cups a day. If you get toooo relaxed cut back by one cup. Who knew that from anxiety spikes every day, I could go to none!!

• Posted

That's a pretty important discovery, Cia! As long as it doesn't interfere with something else a person might be taking and a pharmacist could probably help determine that. A quick google shows that Apigenin has a half-life of almost 92 hours, so yeah. It would tend to build up if you used it daily. 

• Posted

I'm afraid to drink this STUFF during the DAY.....after last night!

I stupidly put in 3 bags...and I was wiped out...before taking my sleep meds (1 - 0.5 Lorazepam and 1 - 10mg Melatonin)

I'm about ready to make the tea now....its almost 1130 here...

Just reminded me...I wanted to start a post about time zones.

• Posted

I have had trouble with insomnia for too many years. When I wake in the night now, I drink some of the mug by my bed and off to sleep I go again. This tea can't hurt you, but it should be respected as a sedative...which can be a blessing to us all with anxiety. I just went overboard. on the cups I was sipping away at every night.

wink I was going to talk to the doctor on Monday about my sleeping meds, but may not have to now.

• Posted

Funny I was going to talk to my Dr....and talk about a sleep aid I read about ..I forget the name...and now..I'm trying the tea and pills first.

• Posted

I wouldn't take the pills and the tea together. The pill will take up to 45 minutes to digest....so you don't want to drive with both in your system until you know how your body handles what.

i really have a new respect for chamomile and its powerful effect, especially after a whole week of taking every day. In my case two weeks. I thought something was really wrong with me. I could hardly get myself off the sofa to do anything. Today, I have only had a few sips and have some get up and go back. I will have a cup at bedtime. Who would have thought it!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.