CHAMPIX. 7 WEEKS ON AND ITS BECOME HELL.

Posted , 22 users are following.

Started on the champix 7 weeks ago and at first i was so happy with the tablet, it made giving up so easy for me, Yes i had you used a little will power at times and had a few days where it nagged me mad, i think that was about 3 weeks in. the last 4 weeks have been hell at night as i am having 3 perhaps 4 nightmares or bad dreams each night and the lack of getting a good nights rest  caught up on me but no way was i giving in to fags. My smoking adivser at the doctors is away at the mo and ive had bad thoughts during the day and feeling low. 3 days ago i decided i must stop taking the evening tablet and only take the morning one if i am at all going to improve my sleep and day time thoughts, Last night i was dream free thank good and my thoughts are back on track, so for now its one tablet a day for me and fight a little bit harder.

4 likes, 106 replies

106 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, well done first of all. I stopped last June with champix. Like you, the side effects increased, esp nausea and headaches, but also horrible dreams. About five weeks in, I halved the dose and this helped immensely. At about 8 weeks I became complacent, and started toforget to take my tab, and think by ten weeks I had stopped taking them altogether. I dont advocate that though, without professional advice. I had to distract myself when I had the urge to smoke. These urges became less frequent and less intense. I now have one maybe twice a week. Now when I see someone smoking I remember how constraining it was, trying to find somewhere to smoke etc, and how good it feels to be free of them. Champix is a powerful and effective drug. It has worked for both of us. Stick to the half dose, bit seek help if you have the heebie jeebies when youre awake, maybe see your gp? Sincere good luck. Youre 99% there!
  • Posted

Good advice from debbie and well done for not giving in the side effects can be worse for some people but stay on course you are doing GREAT.

• Posted

Thankyou Graham . 2nd night of dream free sleep now and getting the night time rest i should. I will stick to the one tablet for now and fight any evening cravings.
  • Posted

I haven't started back on Champix yet, but I foumd I couldn't take two the lst time I was on it. I just stuck with one and it did the job. I am going in this week to get a script for it. Hang in there smile
    • Posted

Glad to hear you have not given up on quiting smoking sue. my advise would be speak to your doctor about having 2 white ones a day morning and evening rather than one blue, this may be the road i go down on friday when im back at clinic.
  • Posted

well done!  you are doing great.  I found champix too difficult, but I have stopped again anyway, have been using nicorette spray.  The mental side of it is just as important, everytime I think about a cigarette, I say out loud in my head 'but I do not smoke any more'.  This has helped over the last month to reduce the smoking thought frequency and also the intensity.  I've been smoke free for ab out ten weeks this time.  Last year I was smoke free for 4 months and then thought I could have just one. I think of myself as a smokeaholic, ie I can never have just one.rolleyes
    • Posted

pat your self on the back because if you read over what you wrote you will find your well in control now not the other way round.
    • Posted

Me too. I know if I have one, that will be me back to the begining again. We have all got over the worst part! Its a great feeling. 
    • Posted

You wont go back now as you have no intention of letting your self down after all this time and yes its a great feeling and good to hear from folks who have cracked it, i sometimes think it helps more than champix lol

• Posted

Hi Graham. thank you, i have been sleeping well since and going all through the night with an extra hour in the morning, managing well on just the one tablet and dream no more at night, well not that i know of anyway.

tomorrow i am back to see my support nurse and was going to suggest having half a dose morning and evening but as i am managing on the one blue each morning decided not to rock the boat to much and stay as i am. once again thanks for your support.

• Posted

Looking forward to being able to help and support others just as people have me.
  • Posted

Hope things are going well for you. I've just started champix - day 2.
    • Posted

First of all well done on deciding to stop smoking and be proud of your self.

the tablets have been good to me except as above, so do try hard to stay with it as without them i would still be smokeing.

i droped the dose down and have been fine since, even been to the pub twice and had a very upsetting day without the need to smoke.

i have heavy smokers all around me most of the time and have no wish to join them, i have not had to use much will power all through this and do get the fancy of a smoke now and then but that fancy is not a craving.

Take each day at a time at the mo and pat your self on the back every day, in a couple of weeks you will soon know what you used to smell like as smokers stand next to you.

Im not negative to smokers and hope i never will be, my wife still smokes and my mother-in-law still fills my car with smoke on her 6 every hour, she done mind letting me choke shes been waiting a long time for that hahaha.

but back to you. please please do give it your best and i and others are always here to help if we can, your not alone while this site still runs and i think you will soon helping others. keep me updated and good luck

• Posted

You have done so well. Im really pleased for you. I think Champix is amazing!
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie, You have been good support from the start of this thread but dont forget how well you have done since june, wow.
    • Posted

Thanks for your support blackberry... on day 5 now and planning to quit  by next Wednesday. Cigarettes are already tasting quite horrible - a bit how they taste with a hangover or when you've been smoking too much. I can tell they are starting to do their job, so that's good!
    • Posted

Your welcome. Nice to hear you are still focused and have set a date to stop, just make it through the first day and then the rest will follow. best wishes and hope to hear your doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.