Champix

Posted , 29 users are following.

[color=red:070dcd62a0][/color:070dcd62a0] :D Hi i have been taking champix for 4 days now and the results are great so far. I had set my quit day for Monday 30.04.2007 but today 25.04.2007 i have not had one and don't want one, so i'm going to see how i go.

If i do this i will be so happy for my self and my family. so if any of you are thinking i cant do it go and see your doctor as their is light at the end of the tunnel.

I was smoking 20-25 a day and have tried every thing to stop in the pass

and this is really helping me i now feel i could be a none smoker.

regards lisa

2 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

According to my smoking adviser - who I questioned about stopping dead at the end of the course - after 12 weeks the Champix has done its job and the receptors will have become dormant having been deprived of nicotine for enough time for them to give up and 'go to sleep'. They should remain dormant forever (as they were before you started smoking) unless you smoke another cigarette which will re-activate them!

Good luck and don't make the mistake of being frightened of stopping the Champix, you just need the confidence in yourself to realise that you don't need something else now that you aren't dependent on cigarettes anymore.

Imagine yourself as though you had never been a smoker!

• Posted

I have been on Champix for 3 weeks now and not had - or even wanted a cigarette - for 2 weeks. I am 60 and have smoked since I was 15, stopped smoking many times with all the other remedies, nicotine replacement, hypnosis, cold turkey, all worked for a while but nothing lasted. Even got addicted to nicotine gum for over a year and started smoking again to get off the gum.

Patches gave me horrible nightmares, gum gave me a sore throat, both gave me bouts of deep melancholy and giving in to cigarettes was the only cure.

I have had the nausea with Champix, taken before eating the nausea is really bad, after eating quite mild, taken halfway through a meal I don't get any nausea. I prefer to take it after a meal, slight nausea I find reminds that the Champix is working!

Luckily I have not had any other side effects. I stopped smoking on day 6 of the course, I had not planned on the 6th day, I just didn't fancy a cigarette when I got up so didn't have one. I have had mild cravings over the time but have kept busy, had as much exercise as I can and take deep breaths when it becomes irritating - and irritating is the best description for the 'cravings'. It is not a desire to smoke just a feeling of discomfort which I want to go away and deep breathing certainly helps.

I have not smoked a single puff since day 6 of the course, maybe that is why I haven't had much in the way of side effects. I found that I didn't seem to sleep so well for the first week or two, seeming to wake up a lot but did not feel tired during the day so must have had enough sleep. At least I didn't get the depressing nightmares that I got with patches which made me frightened to go to sleep. I have also found that I have no desire to eat any more than usual as I am not compensating for the lack of nicotine as I don't feel the need for nicotine anymore.

I feel so much better, going for long walks with my dog and swimming again. My home is spick and span and smells lovely. My washing and ironing is all up to date and I can smell the flowers in the garden!

Best of all - when I wake up in the morning I don't want a cigarette and that was the one that I got out of bed for in the mornings, that was followed by another 2 as I read the paper and waited until I had enough nicotine in my blood stream to be able to face breakfast!

I think that the best thing about Champix for me is that I don't really think about cigarettes for most of the time, on other remedies I constantly thought about cigarettes and used to imagine smoking one, even dreaming that I was smoking sometimes, second had smoke smelled wonderful to me so it was easy to give in. Yesterday I went shopping and as I passed people in the street I was so aware of the ones who had recently had a cigarette as they smelled of cigarette smoke - and now having not had nicotine for 2 weeks cigarette smoke smells different - now I smell it the same as a non-smoker does and it smells dreadful - once you have not smoked for a while you will appreciate the reason for banning smoking in enclosed public places as the smell for a non smoker is nothing like the smell for a smoker - and even if smoking is restricted to another room with the connecting door shut the smell will travel through the cracks in the door.

I do hope this helps.......

• Posted

Hi have just read your status and I just wondered after a year if you are still not smoking - I have just started my Champix course.
  • Posted

[quote:79427f6ce1=\"SuzanneJ\"]I have been on Champix for 3 weeks now and not had - or even wanted a cigarette - for 2 weeks. I am 60 and have smoked since I was 15, stopped smoking many times with all the other remedies, nicotine replacement, hypnosis, cold turkey, all worked for a while but nothing lasted. Even got addicted to nicotine gum for over a year and started smoking again to get off the gum.

Patches gave me horrible nightmares, gum gave me a sore throat, both gave me bouts of deep melancholy and giving in to cigarettes was the only cure.

I have had the nausea with Champix, taken before eating the nausea is really bad, after eating quite mild, taken halfway through a meal I don't get any nausea. I prefer to take it after a meal, slight nausea I find reminds that the Champix is working!

Luckily I have not had any other side effects. I stopped smoking on day 6 of the course, I had not planned on the 6th day, I just didn't fancy a cigarette when I got up so didn't have one. I have had mild cravings over the time but have kept busy, had as much exercise as I can and take deep breaths when it becomes irritating - and irritating is the best description for the 'cravings'. It is not a desire to smoke just a feeling of discomfort which I want to go away and deep breathing certainly helps.

I have not smoked a single puff since day 6 of the course, maybe that is why I haven't had much in the way of side effects. I found that I didn't seem to sleep so well for the first week or two, seeming to wake up a lot but did not feel tired during the day so must have had enough sleep. At least I didn't get the depressing nightmares that I got with patches which made me frightened to go to sleep. I have also found that I have no desire to eat any more than usual as I am not compensating for the lack of nicotine as I don't feel the need for nicotine anymore.

I feel so much better, going for long walks with my dog and swimming again. My home is spick and span and smells lovely. My washing and ironing is all up to date and I can smell the flowers in the garden!

Best of all - when I wake up in the morning I don't want a cigarette and that was the one that I got out of bed for in the mornings, that was followed by another 2 as I read the paper and waited until I had enough nicotine in my blood stream to be able to face breakfast!

I think that the best thing about Champix for me is that I don't really think about cigarettes for most of the time, on other remedies I constantly thought about cigarettes and used to imagine smoking one, even dreaming that I was smoking sometimes, second had smoke smelled wonderful to me so it was easy to give in. Yesterday I went shopping and as I passed people in the street I was so aware of the ones who had recently had a cigarette as they smelled of cigarette smoke - and now having not had nicotine for 2 weeks cigarette smoke smells different - now I smell it the same as a non-smoker does and it smells dreadful - once you have not smoked for a while you will appreciate the reason for banning smoking in enclosed public places as the smell for a non smoker is nothing like the smell for a smoker - and even if smoking is restricted to another room with the connecting door shut the smell will travel through the cracks in the door.

I do hope this helps.......[/quote:79427f6ce1]

• Posted

THIS IS A REPLY TO SUZANNE J LETTER I WAS REALLY INTERESTED IN YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH CHAMPIX I TOO HAVE JUST STARTED 2ND DAY SO STILL QUITE A NOVICE BUT BEFORE I ASKED FOR CHAMPIX I READ UP ON IT ON THIS SITE AND SAW YOURS AS WELL AS OTHER PEOPLES EXPERIENCE ITS GOOD TO KNOW BEFOREHAND WHAT TO EXPECT AS YOU KNOWIT DOES NOT SUIT EVERYONE BUT KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED
  • Posted

this is to carole taylor hi i to have just started champix this is my second day still finding it a strain any tips? marian
  • Posted

This is for marion on day 12 of my 1mg tablet took severe migraine went back to doctor and she put me 0.5mg saying that whensome people go on the larger dosage they are prone to get side effects however on week on still got migraine so telephoned doctor to stop them but you have to come of gradually so that is what i am doing just now i could not put up with the headaches any longer hope this does not put you off because they are alright for most people
  • Posted

I have been reading about Champix, and it sounds amazing. Do you still have to go to a stop smoking clinic like with NRT? Or can you just get it on prescription from the doc? I have smoked for about 30 years on and off - the longest \"off\" was when I was sponsored to stop for charity (so, no pressure, then!) when I managed 7 months with no smoking, but I was helped by 3 sessions of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming, a bit like hypnosis). I didn't have ANY cravings, and really didn't fancy a cig at all, so that worked well. The only other times I have stopped completely was when I was pregnant with my 3 children (and, no, it's not something I'm doing again...!)

I actually hate smoking now, I don't like the smell, or the ashtrays, or the antisocial element, or the cost...there are so many reasons to stop.

I was in hospital recently for 4 days and didn't even fancy one at all, or for the first day at home, but then I stupidly sort of forced myself to have one, even though I really didn't want it! Not sure why, just think I felt something was missing, or I was bored, oh..I don't know. Very silly, though, as I'm back up to 10/12 a day, but one good thing, I am making myself stand outside to smoke, which quite honestly is a pain in the ass when it's freezing and raining!

If anyone can offer any help and suggestions...? Thanks! :D

• Posted

Well done everyone....

I am on week six of Champix...I only take the morning dose and am coping well with that as I have not smoked since 9th July. I found like Suzanne that the nausea was bad on an empty stomach... and best eaten in the middle of a meal was more suitable. The night tablet made me so sick I got to the point where I couldnt take it...and the smell of ciggie smoke nauseates me now as well. I am halfway through the course now. I have asthma and my husband has COPD/severe emphysema. He has not smoked for 10 days now, and is using just ordinary chewing gum.

With regards to the drug causing kidney problems for the lady's husband above, sorry to hear that and hope he is ok now. I had a kidney removed four years ago and luckily have not had any pain in my kidney from Champix. The only side effect I have had is the sickness/nausea and one or two strange dreams.

Best of luck everyone, stick with it...all the best Angie

• Posted

[quote:2238408f73=\"ginantonic16\"]I have been reading about Champix, and it sounds amazing. Do you still have to go to a stop smoking clinic like with NRT? Or can you just get it on prescription from the doc? I have smoked for about 30 years on and off - the longest \"off\" was when I was sponsored to stop for charity (so, no pressure, then!) when I managed 7 months with no smoking, but I was helped by 3 sessions of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming, a bit like hypnosis). I didn't have ANY cravings, and really didn't fancy a cig at all, so that worked well. The only other times I have stopped completely was when I was pregnant with my 3 children (and, no, it's not something I'm doing again...!)

I actually hate smoking now, I don't like the smell, or the ashtrays, or the antisocial element, or the cost...there are so many reasons to stop.

I was in hospital recently for 4 days and didn't even fancy one at all, or for the first day at home, but then I stupidly sort of forced myself to have one, even though I really didn't want it! Not sure why, just think I felt something was missing, or I was bored, oh..I don't know. Very silly, though, as I'm back up to 10/12 a day, but one good thing, I am making myself stand outside to smoke, which quite honestly is a pain in the ass when it's freezing and raining!

If anyone can offer any help and suggestions...? Thanks! :D[/quote:2238408f73]

Gina hi there, I went to the GP to the smoking cessation nurse for Champix, they like to ensure that your blood pressure is ok and you are not prone to depression. Or I am sure there will be NHS groups near you. You are halfway there already hating the smell...and I am sure Champix would take away your cravings. Best of luck Angie

• Posted

PS in four weeks of NOT SMOKING I have put £125 in my ISA... :D

make sure you put aside your ciggie money to save up or treat yourself as a reward.... Angie

• Posted

I started smoking about 37 years ago when I was 13 and have smoked pretty well all the time since then. When I was 19, I gave up for a couple of years (the things one does for love!) and had another couple of years smoke-free when I was a muscle-bound rock climber in my thirties, although I only managed that with the help of nicotine patches for a very long time.

Last year I decided to try again after hearing that Champix had been approved in Germany, where I was living at the time. My GP was enthusiastic, as he also had just started on a course of Champix after many failed attempts at giving up. It gives you confidence that your own GP is willing to look at the enormous list of potential side effects and still take it.

Taking Champix is a very strange experience. The drug attaches to the same receptors as nicotine, and thus has a twofold effect. On the one hand, it persuades the body that it already has nicotine, and thus reduces the craving, and on the other, it stops nicotine from having any effect when you do have a cigarette.

The course starts at about a quarter of the daily dose and builds up over a week. During the second week (when you are on the full dose), you are supposed to give up. Strangely, it's not that difficult to give up. For a week now, you have been taking Champix and smoking and that wonderful rush of endorphins within three seconds of inhaling has simply failed to happen. Instead of lighting up, inhaling deeply and then, with infinite satisfaction leaning back, exhaling with an almost orgasmic (yes, that's endorphins as well) \"Aaaaah!\", you light up, take a drag and think \"errr, ... errr, ... what a waste of time!\"

Of course, there's still all those Pavlovian times like the few moments after a meal, or when settling down to the news after finishing work. You still have to conquer \"the habit\". You still have to do it yourself, but it's a bit easier with the help of Champix.

That was last year, and I finished the course and was free of cigarettes and Champix. Then we had a tragedy in the family and I had huge difficulties in my personal life, but even then, all through my sister's 8-week terminal illness, I stayed smoke-free. It was on the ferry on the way back to Germany after her funeral that I started again. Don't ask me.

But that's a year ago and I am now trying again. And I've decided on Champix again. I'm now into the third week and I thought I'd write a little on here to encourage people to look at the upside of Champix as well as the downsides that have been receiving so much attention.

The list of potential side effects is mammoth and, as so often, self-contradictory (increase in libido, decrease in libido), and it's easy enough to go through the list and say \"oh, yeah, I've got that, ... and that, ... and that, ...\". But then again, I'm a man and can do that with any medication.

I've only noticed a few things.

[b:ea6f89402c]Nausea[/b:ea6f89402c]

Right at the top of the list for almost everybody appears to be nausea. If I take the morning tablet before breakfast, I will feel ill. Really stomach-wrenchingly sick. So what! I take the tablet after a meal and very occasionally feel mildly uncomfortable. Problem solved.

[b:ea6f89402c]Headache[/b:ea6f89402c]

Splitting, meat-cleaver-in-the-skull type headaches until I made sure I took the tablets after a meal (or perhaps they just wore off after a few days anyway).

[b:ea6f89402c]Fatigue[/b:ea6f89402c]

For the first couple of days, all I wanted to do was sleep. That wore off very quickly, and now, three weeks into the treatment, I feel fine.

[b:ea6f89402c]Changed sleeping patterns[/b:ea6f89402c]

I suppose that goes hand in hand with fatigue and tiredness. Waking in the night (which I never do) should perhaps be expected when I take a 4-hour siesta in the afternoon. But as I say, that settled within a few days.

[b:ea6f89402c]Strange dreams[/b:ea6f89402c]

I'm one of

• Posted

Well, a few weeks have passed.

After about a week or so on full dose, I found that I kept on forgetting the evening tablet. So I just left it out and have done ever since.

I've been clean for nearly seven weeks now, and have rarely felt seriously tempted to smoke again. Gradually, the urge to smoke in the evenings is beginning to ease off.

I recently had to have a small operation under general aneasthetic, so I stopped the Champix a couple of days before and after without any problems. The next hurdle will be coming off for good in a few weeks.

• Posted

I am on day 9 of taking champix and stopped smoking 3 days ago and I am feeling fine. I had side effects for the first 2 days than nothing at all, actually that's not thrue I have flatulance ,anybody else has this problem?

The only problem is my hubby still smokes like a chimney so I tend to withdraw to our non smoking room.

If you live with a smoker trying to give up on your own you need to apply some psychology. Your partner is in mourning because he/ she has lost his smoking buddy , his partner in crime . What I am saying here is let

them stew in their misery because if they see you are successful they might eventually join you

• Posted

Hi

I'm on day 11 of champix, quit day set at tomorrow, but now in 15th hour since I last smoked so intend to continue. Think I've just reached a point of a big craving and am posting here to stop me giving in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.