Champix…how long does the vomiting go on

Posted , 7 users are following.

This is my 1st time on champix & I'm on day 19, of the 1mg tablets, twice daily & from around day 4 cut down to 1-2 fags, then totally stopped on day 14, but within an hour of taking the morning dose I vomit almost constantly & again in the evening. I've also started to get diarrhoea this week. I've tried taking them with/without food & nothing helps. We go away on Friday, to Mexico, to our dream holiday so I can't be ill for 2 weeks 😢 If I stop the tablets whilst away, will I be tempted to smoke???

This is my 4th quit attempt & I'm determined to stop, but very weak willed

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Its a while ago that I stopped with Champix, so remind me, is that the highest dose tablet you are taking now? If so, it would be safe to reduce the dose by half which should help with the side effects. A lot of people dont seem to tolerate the full dose. I remember starting to feel nauseous around that time, but didnt get any worse. Keep telling yourself you are a non smoker, you do not smoke any more, remind yourself how hard it is to stop, and that by just taking one fag, you could be back to square one. Make all this effort worth it. I havent had a ciggie for three years thanks to Champix. There have been temptations, but walk away and do something else, and keep saying to yourself I dont smoke any more. Someone posted a note on here saying ' whupy did I spend all that money poisoning myself'. I used that as a kind of mantra for the first few months. Reduce to half dose and see how that goes. Always here to help. Xx

• Posted

Yes it's the high dose I'm on, I must've lost pounds in weight the last 3 weeks, so at least I'll be slim on holiday even if I can't eat!!

• Posted

Ach, its win  win lol! I would defo try cutting the dose by half and see how you feel. Keep in touch. Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi hope you have countined not to smoke. I am on day 12 of champix, and still smoking 2 a day, but I am making myself smoke, I live smoking, mad I know, but have to stop I have 0 willpower

• Posted

Well I’ve been smoke free since October. I went to Mexico & had to stop the champix, 1st time as I was so ill, I lost 16llbs in 3 weeks. I returned from holiday & asked the chemist for 0.5mg tablets & took 1am, 1lunchtime & 2pm & they worked. 

I too love my cigs but really needed to stop. I’ve been off champix since 16th December & feel ok but have the odd bad craving & would never say never 

• Posted

What happend after I took Champi

Well for the first two weeks of taking Champix, I decided I would need to remove all stress from my life. So i went took a house out in the country by the beach where i could just relax for the next few months, while I FINALLY quit smoking after being a pack a day addict since i was 18years old. i was now 31 and sick of the habit.

I had tried:

patches which helped (mostly - but i would still have about 5 a day)

hypnotherapy (didnt work)

Cutting back to benson and hedges 1mg (white) cigarettes - kind of worked but i still smoked the whole pack in a day but obviously i was getting my levels down.

Cold turkey - with herbal cigarettes - no nicotine - after 5 days woke up in bed in tears and HAD to have a cigarette - couldnt take it anymore

After all that i was sick of it and decided to finally give up and go on Champix. 

Within the first 3 days I noticed I wasnt enjoying cigarettes and cut back to about 10. Within the first 7 days of Champix, d cut back to about 5 - but now the side effects were kicking in:

Incredibly lazy, could barely get off the couch, falling asleep all the time. 

Nausea straight after taking the tablet even if taken with food

Spaced out head - short term memory loss, i would forget what i was doing from the kitchen to lounge room in a matter of seconds.

Completed the two weeks dose and stopped for a month and a half or so. 

Then thought Im still smoking- now only 5 a day - Im going to try this again and went back on Champix for another 2-3 weeks.

This time the side effects were even worse. I became incredibly depressed, felt sick to my stomach and the sucidial ideation kicked in along with long term memory loss - barely knew what my name was or what i was doing half the time

Being a yoga student, i know how to battle with my thoughts and kept a zen like these are just passing thoughts attitude to the whole thing. But theyve never gone away. I still feel bad ALL the time and continue to battle with these thoughts and depression that i cant control. I eventually just became numb, both mentally and physically. 

I dropped a very heavy LCD tv on my stomach when it fell out of my car - while moving house - ended up with a giant black and blue bruise on my stomach - but didnt feel a thing. 

It would take a lot for me to be able to feel anything physically to the point it was dangerous. 

I thought this wont last its just while Im taking the drug - once its out of my system everything will return to normal. NO IT DIDNT.

In 2013, within around 5 months after completing the two courses of Champix, I tried to go back to my normal life in the city but being so forgetful, out of it and literally stupid - I just couldnt. 

Well at this point my breasts had also enlarged to DDs, my periods had become regular to 28days after previously being irregular and scattered anywhere from 30 to 32 to 37 day cycles and a small pea sized lump appeared at the bottom of my left nipple. Apparently just an adenoma and nothing to worry about. But it wasnt. 

Champix had messed with my endocrine system and i was now having estrogen overdose and dominance that was not being controlled. 

Its now 2018 and in January i was diagnosed with Breast Cancer Stage IV, DCIS invasive that has apparently spread to my bones.

Im still stupid, lazy, tired all the time with memory loss along with a breast cancer diagnosis. 

AND IM STILL SMOKING. I cut back but at what price? 

I swapped lung cancer for breast cancer?

• Posted

You must increase your motivation to quit smoking for the sake of children and the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.