Change in Ejaculatory Force and Volume Post-PAE

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am about 6 weeks post-PAE and am noticing changes in ejaculatory force and volume.  Specifically, these have diminished greatly from pre-PAE.  It almost feels like the smooth muscle part of the ejaculation has forgotten how to do it, or is not quite coordinated.  I am not experiencing retrograde ejaculation, but more of a weak force that ends up more like oozing than ejaculating.  Wonderful improvements in urine stream, emptying, etc, but surprised about this new change and hoping it is temporary.  Would love to hear from anyone else experiencing this and whether it will improve or not.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Buddy.  Remember you just had your prostate worked on and it has to heal.  I think it's just temporary Have to read up on it.  I think in a few more weeks you will get it back where you were before.  Look on the brite side at less you don't have retro.  I will let you know if I find out anything.  I did no have a PAE But I did have a Uro-lift.  It took about 4 weeks or so for me to get make to normal.  It was like what you said oozing out.  But after my prostate healed more it was all good.  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

Hi Kenneth ,

I'm experiencing the same thing I really hope it's temporary as it's causing me some distress

Regards Chris

• Posted

Hi Burninglove ,

I recently had a PAE on the 16 May 2016 I'm glad you have started this discussion because I have noticed the same thing , ejaculation has lost its force and yes I'm experiencing the same oozing ejaculation I'm distressed by this and also hope this is just temporary as its only been a few weeks since my PAE . My urine flow has improved greatly but nobody said anything at all regarding the changes in ejaculation I'm also keen to here from other guys who have had a PAE and if their whether their ejaculations improved from this strange oozing stage with time ? Cmon guys let us know what's happening for you please

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I was starting to think I was the only one.  I hope we get more members to weigh in on this.  I think if this is a routine side effect of the procedure, that ought to have been mentioned ahead of time while weighing pros and cons.  I was expecting a cure, not a tradeoff.
  • Posted

Hello Burning, and thanks for startingthis conversation. I had mine done on Jan 26 of this year, and I also am having the same problem. I had an allergic reaction to the beads they used for the embolization, so I just assumed that was causing this problem as well.

I will tell you this without being too graphic, but I have been on several rounds of prescription anti inflamatories, and while taking them I can shoot like I am 16 again lol. But as soon as I stop taking them its right back to the oozing orgasm.

It would be nice to hear from some guys who are farther along to see if the problem goes away.

• Posted

That sounds like reaction to foreign body. Your body Is trying to reject it and with the time it will get worse. You might develop severe reaction that might prompt removal of beads.
    • Posted

Hey Joe!  I appreciate you sharing your experience.  I'm starting to get the feeling this might be a common side effect, but need more people to weigh in.  In the meantime, would you mind sharing what your allergic reaction consisted of?  Maybe that's what's going on with me as well.
    • Posted

Yes Sir I would be glad to.Upon waking from the anesthesia, I broke out in a red rash, from my neck to my crotch area, very red, and itchy. They called another Doc in for a consult and he gave me several IV drugs, which helped a lot. But did not anywhere near clear up the rash, but probably kept me from going into shock.  I had about 12 lesions appear, all about the size of a quarter, where the skin bubbled up, and peeled off within a  couple days, almost like a really bad burn. The lesions are still there almost 6 months later and appear permanent. They are very embarassing and look almost like what you used to see aids patients have. i went to donate blood last week, the same as I have since I was 16 and they almost refused me because of them.

But other than that, while not taking the anti inflammatory meds, I have difficulty urinating, and a very weak stream, much worse than before the procedure.And when not on the meds, I can barely ejaculate.

My prostate was only 45 gms, and has not shrank any since the procedure. I had an MRI done 2 weeks ago, So it appears that not only did I have problems from the procedure, it did not work either lol.

Here is the real kicker, one of the things they dont tell you prior to the procedure, is once the beads are implanted, there is NO way to remove them, other than a complete prostate removal. I was under the impression, the only place the beads went were to the arteries leading to the prostate, but my Doc says they go into the gland itself.

My Doc has been really supportive, but he is frustrated, and so am  I.

For your sake I really hope what you are having is not a reaction to the beads,

• Posted

Yes MK that is exaclty what is happening, and it definitely is not improving any. When I do not take anti inflammatoy meds I have lots of problems.. Unfortunatly one of the things they do not tell you prior to having the PAE procedure, but definitely should tell you, is that once the beads are implanted there is NO way to remove them, other than a complete removal of the prostate. I am not ready to go there yet, but I am VERY frustrated, and confused.

Thanks

• Posted

I have looked up the PAE procedure.  And no where in the infomation does it say that the beads go into the prostate.  It suppose to go only in the arteries to stop the blood flow to the prostate.  Thank you for sharing that information with us.  See how doctors leave certain things out.  Keep us informed     Ken   
    • Posted

Hello Kenneth, It was most definitely not mentioned to me either. My Doc says that they also go into the prostate itself, too block some of the small vessels imside.
    • Posted

I asked my radiologist this question.  He said that while the procedure is being done I will be under a flouroscope that shows my arteries so it will be impossible (his words) to not treat the ones leading to the prostate.
    • Posted

Hi Joe!  Thank you for sharing these details.  I am not a medical doctor, but considering the facts you have given, it sounds to me like you had a reaction to the anesthesia rather than the beads.  As for the lesions, can you say where they are located?  It's possible the lesions are areas of embolization from beads placed in the wrong arteries. This may be why they are not just healing.  My doc described possible scenarios if things went wrong and that mostly included unintentional embolization of nontarget areas and that this would show up as lesions from areas of ischemia (like an ulcer in the bladder wall, for example) caused by the beads.   I watched the fluoroscope the whole time and it's a tangled mess of arteries and branches many of which serve more than one organ (i.e., bladder, rectal wall).  It would not be hard for a doc to screw up.  I would encourage you to consult with another interventional radiologist and maybe also a lawyer.
    • Posted

That is what I read.  The beads go into the arteries leading to the prostate not in the prostate  But does that mean that the beads will flow into the prostate any way? I see my urologist thursday.  See if he knows Ken
    • Posted

Hi Ken!  I'm pretty sure the beads go deep into the prostate via the prostate arteries.  The beads are quite small and travel down the artery until it narrows and get stuck there, blocking the flow, which is what we want.  The beads never leave the arteries themselves, but will travel down all the branches into the prostate until the arteries get too narrow.  So technically they are "in" the arteries that are deep "in" the prostate. Attached a pic to give sense of scale and amazing density and complexity of arterial branches.
    • Posted

Thank you for the information.  Hope all go well for everyone.  Just relasx and let nature do it job  Ken 
    • Posted

Hello Burning, at first the Docs thought the same thing that it was an allergic reaction, to either the contrast die, or the anesthesia. But since it has continued for almost 6 months now with no improvement, the radioligist is certain enough that it is the beads, that he has sent an adverse reaction report to the FDA. Or he told me he did anyway. He says thst any other medications used would have long since cleared my system, and would have cleared up. The lesions are on both arms,underneath, and I have one that stays blood red and looks like an open sore right on top of my left bicep. They are also on my chest,both legs, i my groin and one on my penis. All of the ones except for the bicep look loke a really deep bruise. They are not sore any longer but have remained unchanged for months.

as far as another Doc goes, I wouldnt know where to start trying to find somebody that would even look at me. And same goes for an attorney, not sure what if any liability the manufacturer would have.

thanks for listening

• Posted

Hey Joe!

Do you want to backchannel on this?  I have some more questions and suggestions, but don't want you to feel you have to share it all so publicly.  As for the attorney, any medical malpractice guy would jump all over this.

• Posted

Sure thing, any help or advice would be appreciated I.am not sure how that works on this forum tho. Not sure if they will let me give you my email.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.