Change of tablet

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

ive been on 100mg of sertriline for a number of years but it has not been working for me so GP has given me venlafaxine 75mg but after reading these comments Im bit scared of the effects I might have can anyone reassure me???

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What are your fears? I been on this drug for 5 years...i stoped it for few months and then depression came back..so i started it again. It changed my life...i was always depressed before this drug. If it helps you then its worth it.
    • Posted

Well a lot of what I'm reading says how awful the side affects are and how awful the drug is, I suffer with vertigo as well as depression and dizziness is a side affect which I could do with out! I guess I won't know until in try it, I take it you find the drug and it's side afects ok??

• Posted

I have not seen any side effects you mentioned...only thing i noticed is dizzyness for few days and thats after i stoped taking it.

We are all different...dont read too much on line. Stay positive.

• Posted

Hello Sarah, I'm a week in with change from citalopram to venlafaxine. 20mg cit, only 37mg ven. Will eventually switch completely to ven on a higher dose. So far, no noticeable side effects, although take it in morning as it makes me a bit alert. I read all the horror stories about coming off it, but venlafaxine is highly regarded if a ssri doesn't work. I'm sure withdrawal is not easy, and a lot of the people complaining about it forget what state they were in when they were prescribed it. Perhaps some of them need to appreciate they may need to be on them for life, if you get recurrent depression like myself. I was reducing my cit dose as it was causing me too much anxiety. My mood was plummeting daily. After a week of additional ven dose with it, my mood seems to have stopped dropping. I'm am hoping then when I complete switch, it will do the trick. If you read on hear about withdrwal, all antidepressants seem to cause issues. I imagine some of these should not be withdrawing, or doing it much more slowly.

• Posted

Hi Sara. I just wanted to add my success story on venlafaxine.  I have taken it with mirtazapine for sleep since July 2015 and it has given me my life back. I never had any bad side effects and I’m feeling great. I hope it will work as well for you.
    • Posted

i was hoping i would have a good review on this med.. i am to start it in 2 days..   getting of the lexapro.  can you give me some more info on your reason for going on it in the first place..  please.  any info would be so greatful.   
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer. I had never suffered from clinical depression until I was in my 60's and retired. In July 2015 I was diagnosed with treatment resistant major depressive disorder. My psychiatrist committed me to the hospital for eight days to monitor my progress while he found the meds that would work for me. Since then I have taken 300 mg venlafaxine and 15 mg mirtazapine and I am happy and sleeping well. I have my life back. I know meds don't work the same for everyone, but I never had any side effects that bothered me. I hope you will have the same success I did. Good luck.

• Posted

It doesn't work for every one, and it's difficult to get off. However, if it does work, tends to work well, especially if ssris don't work. If ssris don't work, ven is next best option if it works. My pysc recommended it, saying if it works for me, is the best option, as less side effects than others. Lots of bad reviews from people coming off it, but should they be coming off it in first place, and did they do it correctly? People tend to forget the state they were in when they went into it.

• Posted

hi phyllis..  thank you.  i am 56 and been on a few meds .. now they are trying venlafaxine for me..  i am almost off the lexapro and will be starting venlafaxine in 2 days.   i am so hoping that it works for me...  what is mirtazapine?  is that another med that you take also to help the venlafaxine?.    my husband just retired and i think that put me over the edge because i am not ready to retire and i work from home..  thank you for your positive outlook ...  and i hope to talk to you again if that will be alright..  
    • Posted

Hi again Jennifer. Mirtazapine is the generic version of Remeron. I take a low dosage at bedtime to help with sleep. Many people gain weight on it and I did gain a few pounds but have never had a weight problem so it didn't get out of contol for me. As Nigel said if venlafaxine does work it tends to work very well as it does for me. I also agree with Nigel that some who are trying to taper off venlafaxine should really still be taking it if they are doing well on it and are not experiencing any bad side effects. You can talk to me anytime you want. You can also send me a private message if you prefer. Take care.

• Posted

Good afternoon. I suppose I am your guinea pig, ha ha. Last night, mood lifted very slightly, and although not too talkative in work, was able to get on with things. Perhaps it's the start of noticeable improvements. I haven't noticed any side effects. Am taking diazepam, but didn't need quite so much today. I don't have any side effects otherwise.

• Posted

Spoke too soon. Got through day at work, came home and feel really down again. Just want to vape in bed now, until I fall asleep. It's so difficult imagining being normal again. I don't see how I Can, but will just keep on going with it. Ven at 75mg and diazepam is no worse than citalopram I was on. It's the time it takes that brings you down. Another 2 weeks of This, then I imagine 150mg. Wish they would allow it sooner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.