Change of tablet

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

ive been on 100mg of sertriline for a number of years but it has not been working for me so GP has given me venlafaxine 75mg but after reading these comments Im bit scared of the effects I might have can anyone reassure me???

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I wouldn't recommend taking at all tbh! As it is an undesirable medication. 

• Posted

If you look at most anti depressants on here, they all seem to have horror stories coming off them. I expect ven has more than most, as i would imagine it's most prescribed after ssris don't work.

• Posted

It seems it's a bit of a gamble which anti depressant I should have tried next. From reading I secretly wanted ven, and pysc recommended it. It may turn out badly for me, but on whole appeared to offer best outcome if it works. That's why I agreed to go onto it.

• Posted

Sarah    can you tell me what change of tablet means?    i will be starting 37.5 on friday and i got little round tabs..  is this what you mean..  were they different when you started..  were they caps or pills.. any info would be useful for me..  how do you feel today?
  • Posted

try not to let the venlafaxine 'withdrawal' and 'trouble getting off this med' stories scare you

if you taper off the med slowly then it's not going to be any different coming off this than stopping the other ssri's and similar meds

dont forget a lot of people stop a med, like venlafaxine, and then their depression and anxiety returns, and suddenly they say "oh great now im stuck on this med" .. what it really means is you suffer from depression and anxiety, and it has returned because you needed to stay on your meds.    if it's working and you feel ok, stay on it.  simple.  the only time you should stop taking depression and anxiety meds is if it stops working.  NOT because you feel better.

let's not forget the alternative, which is to try to be like 'everyone else' ,  'normal people'... and not have to take any meds.  well, perhaps after some time not being on any meds, a stressful event (or for no reason at all) you can have severe depression and anxiety creep back on you and suddenly.. CRASH... you are bound to your bed, or cant leave your house, cant work, cant face or speak to anyone, flooded with depression and anxiety, cant even think about anything without it becoming overwhelming, suicidal, cant eat, cant sleep, .. you get the picture.

suddenly taking venlafaxine (one of the most effective best depression and anxiety meds there is) doesn't seem like such a bad idea does it.    jeez, a few 'brain zaps'.. when you stop taking it.   oh please.  let's compare that to severe clinical depression and anxiety and being constantly plagued by suicidal thoughts.   let's see now, i think i should go with the venlafaxine after all, thanks.

sorry for the rant smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.