Changed from Fluoxetine to Citalopram - Help please.,.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, been to docs this morning after week 12 and he has changed me from 20mg Flouxetine to 20mg Citalopram. I have to start the change immediately.

I have read other posts about this and almost all takers have suffered with weight gain. I know that the whole thing is about feeling better but weight is a massive issue for me and should I put weight on, this will spiral me into a worse state of feeling. I am already hung up about my body and don't want to add to my overall feeling of poo-ness by dealing with additional weight.

Can anyone advise of their experiences of this drug please and any effect you have encountered as either being on it or going through the change from this to Fluoxetine or vice versa.

Any advice or info would be grealy appreciated as I'm meant to be starting these tonight and I'm really apprehensive.

Thanks. Ang.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i too have recently come across this post. I like citalopram, i had no initial side effects on the 20 mg I was taking.  Over time I did end up gaining some weight. however i was eating bad too, so i am not sure if the pill increased my craving which increased my weight gain.  I recently went on 10 mg escitalopram, which is basically citalopram but the chemical compound is in a different shape.  Its been about 2 weeks and I have noticed weight loss! yay! haha and an increase in thirst, and not being able to orgasm. haha but today I got a new precription for fluoxetine because my health plan doesnt cover the escitalopam and I too am afraid to go back on citalopram in fear of gaining weight.  I'll see how flu goes for my anxiety, if it doesn't pan out this month i'll just go back on citalopram because i know it works for me.
  • Posted

I have been on some form of SSRI rmal for the past 10 years number one stay away from Prozac it is the worst drug in the world at least for me. I've been on the flu for about a year and I was feeling fine after switching from Paxil to Prozac but still I found myself very very cheap pallets of depression if you look at the side effects on blue they're not that good. I did stop taking flu Florida 3 months I felt great I got depressed started taking it again and almost every one of the side effects came back experience I just switched today to the citro. Overall I truly believe perseption is reality, I have a cousin whom is a psychologist and I base my diagnosis on what he suggest and my research and what I think without any outside influence whatsoever. My conclusion I think with a healthy lifestyle our bodies Canton function completely fine self-help self confidence self recognition and keeping yourself busy research Couch Potato syndrome it's very interesting everybody on the flu hang in there I'll keep you posted on my switch

• Posted

Hi, ive taken fluoxetine for 15 years 40 mg twice a day..... on it i have gsined over 100 pounds! Legit over 100....... my dr just switched me ar my request he choose citalopram HBR 40 mg a day... 

Today is day 2 of my switch, im hoping for weight loss and praying for no side effects but my switch is not tapered it is full on! I trust my doc but

Do i have anything to be concerned about? I also take 10 mg of Abilify to buffer the the celexa.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.