changes to taste

Posted , 12 users are following.

Weird question. Since my op 6 weeks ago I have had problems tasting things. Everything tastes so bland. My sense of smell was not good in the first place but things definitely seem odd. Anyone else experienced this?

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No cant say i have to be honest , although aneasthetics and any meds youre on can do weird and wonderful things to taste and smell ! Hopefully it will settle - you need to enjoy your food at the moment ! Xx
  • Posted

Hi

i am about 12 weeks post and ever since op have become a real tea drinker and not so keen on coffee. A real change for me. Haven't noticed any issue with any foods tho. Not on any meds which could affect this.

• Posted

Well, I'm not sure about my taste but im 5 weeks post op and my appetite hasn't come back yet. Ive lost 13 pounds since I got home from the hospital 4 weeks ago.
  • Posted

Yes I had exactly the same and was told it was the medication I was taken - thankfully all good now and this is just over 3 weeks since my op
    • Posted

Could be that , plus you need about 3000 extra calories a day while recovering immediately so if youre not eating much as well that could affect weight loss - might be worth trying fortified shakes etc ???? So you get enough calories in 
    • Posted

I've been drinking a lot of milk and trying to eat a lot of protein but I know I'm not eating enough. I think some sort of shake might be a good idea especially since I'm having my second hip done in a few months.
    • Posted

Yes , you need to keep your strength up - not sure if you are in UK or US but in UK you can get build up shakes/ soup or local health shops have a selection of high protein shakes etc - just be careful if you have any other health problems eg heart or amnything as some of them can be quite high in pottasium which can have an effect ... Otherwise the high protein sports bars / shakes are a good way of getting loads of extra calories in easily 
  • Posted

I can't speak for myself, but my father has had a few operations and he found that the general anas that he had took his smell and taste, I'm afraid after his last op and with the complecations he has after, his smell has never come back but this may be an age thing he was about 80
  • Posted

It took me a good couple of months to start enjoying the taste of food again, and to get my appetite back. I know that the sense of smell is definitely related to the sense of taste. 
  • Posted

I too agree that your taste is affected, by the surgery, it could be the anthestic, the really strong pain killers, or just the huge shock your body has experienced.

You have had your femur, leg bone broken (via surgery) and then a big lump of steel hamered into that same bone, the marrow that was in that big bone removed, some blood loss.

I had no appetite for about 2 weeks post surgery, its a year ago now.

just went with lots of fluid, eggs in omelets, and lots of milk, very light on meat and veges, I took some multi vitamins to help things along, with GP's permission.

Regrowing bone needs calcium, let alone regrowing muscles that need protein.

• Posted

Hi Lin, 

Probably ... First I thought that I became a bad cook - everything tasted so bland - then ended up being way too salty ...

Wish I lost weight, but did not -

I hope things will taste good again ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi    I have had a ver simiar experience, nothing tastes right and food and drink i loved no longer appeal to me, very strangely though my sense of smell has multiplied to the point that I am nauseus  being close to some scent, myhusband aftershave that i loved is now so strong and smells synthetically strong, bed linen washed in y favourite washing powder now makes me lierally feel sick,  I cant offer any advice but can empathise with you,  i love Prosecco but the very thought of it puts me off.............  some may say tha is a good thing xxx
    • Posted

Yes, so true for me too,  pollye - also have it in village supermarket --- can't escape the smell of rotting (vegetables?meat?) and I am sure this is not true - other supermarkets are fine -

And the booz ... shiver when I think of wine or, my favorite, martini coctail - 

like being pregnant in the first couple of months !  

• Posted

Thank goodness for this forum, I honestly thought i was experiencing something very wierd...  your comparable to pregnancy is very accurate,  I  cant stand the smell of anything other than fresh air at the moment,  what a very stange thing to happen,  regarding food and eating, I just wanted tomatoes when I cam home , now I dont like them, just nibbling on toast or mashed potato is about my lot....  I am slightly concerend that we should be eating over 3000 caloried per day, i am trying to keep healthy but no way could i manage that amount,   my GP advised eating liver to buid up iron , the very thought makes me feel sick.   not easy is it ?  On a a positive note I was up and changing the bed today just 9 day post op very slowly but felt it a huge step forward and made me feel human again.I was really careful and used the bed as a prop.  I am now back on it and feeling like I am more human. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.