Changing address pip & esa

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i'm due to move house in a couple of weeks time and i'm worried that ringing pip & esa with a change of address will stop my money.. last time i moved (a few years ago), i rang esa and the chap i spoke to said i needed to fill out forms & al sorts ad my money stopped for 4 weeks, after a ton of phone calls it turned out i didn't ned to fill in forms & my money should have never stopped and i got it backdated and started again.

so of course i'm worried that will happen again, but it's pip i'm more worried about. will they make me have a new assessment and start all over again or will it just be a change of address on the system and thats that?...


0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

  • Posted

    I'm sorry I don't know, but the rule of thumb is:

    If there is a change of circumstances then you must notify the DWP.

    Whether that includes a new address I don't know.

    To be on the safe side tell them as any post being sent to you will not arrive.

    • Posted

      oh yeah, i'm going to tell them as it is a change of circumstances but not a change of illness or how it affects me... fingers crossed it wont cause drama, but if it does there's not much i can do about it..


    • Posted

      Hi Gill, yes do call them and tell them but you could also go to the post office and pay for your mail to be re-directed so you won't miss any post.  You could also tell them once you've received the letter as your address shouldn't make any difference to your claim.

  • Posted

    Hi Gill

    As Les said you have no option but to inform ESA/PIP of your change of address. If you don't the DWP may seek to retake any benefit paid as an overpayment.

    With regard to PIP a couple of years ago they were using a change of address as a reason for reassessments.

    However, there was an outcry and PIP themselves found it was not cost affective. Apparently they now only reassess if the move is a material change of circumstances.

    By that I mean if you were moving into/out of residential care or your housing situation was important to your claim e.g. you lived in sheltered housing where you had alarm systems or telephone calls prompting you to take medication/eat/dress etc.

    If you are simply moving from one house to another and nothing has changed with your care needs then there has been no material change in circumstances and a reassessment is not needed.

    Therefore when you inform them stress there has been no change in your care needs (material change of circumstances).

    • Posted

      that's great anthony thanks, i know i had to tell them either way but as you say if my move was for my needs then it could carry a reason for re assessing, but it's just a simple one house to another actually because my mum is ill and i want to be closer to her.. won't change anything for me.. 


    • Posted

      That's OK Gill but don't volunteer too much information. I wouldn't mention your Mum's condition just tell them its a simple move which doesn't affect your care needs.

    • Posted

      they're likely to ask for reasons for moving though. i'll just say moving closer to family and leave it at that.. 

    • Posted

      if they ask that is...  
    • Posted

      They do not ask why you move as they many people do so especially if they rent
  • Posted

    So long as your circumstances have not chanced your pip will off been awarded till a certain Date as for your esa they can Calle you in for a face two face at anytime I am on pip and esa just moved six mouths ago  my pip stayed the same unite october2018 my esa I did have a face two face Last week however I had it taped had all my meds and supporting letters from.  Two gps and.    IWent with my career the asser at the end said I can see your metale health issues couse you sinefcent problems and that's what I wil put in my report ,so it should be ok 

  • Posted

    Once you know your move date call them both and let them know. I moved a couple of months ago and my money never stopped. It was simple (and I don't recall having to fill in any form)

    The only thing that may temporarily stop is your housing benefit as anytime there is a change notified with DWP it automatically triggers a housing benefit suspension, so again to minimise problems let hb know asap and request dual housing benefit 

    Hope this helps

    • Posted

      Thanks erykah, i know HB pay you up until the day you leave so i'm going to ring them all the day before i go.


    • Posted

      You can get HB for a week on Both your old tencey and your new
    • Posted

      hi tony, only in special circumstances which i don't fall into. but it's ok, i don't need them to cross over anyway. thanks though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.