Cheese , biscuits and ???

Posted , 12 users are following.

Please help . I dont know whether Im being selfiish or ridiculous ? Ive tried AA and they were not good . My addiction has become worse since Ive spoken about it. I'm feeling positive but need suporrt .  Feel I need to raise awareness in my area and set uip a group ? What do you think ? I'm a trained counsellor anyway and thought I could offer an alternative . What do yoiu think ? 

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I don't know if this reply will be any help, but my husband is addicted to alcohol and whilst in one of his many rehabs he was forced to go to AA three times a week. He didn't think much of it. I went to a coupld of meetings with him, and I don't think it would have helped me if I'd been an alcoholic. I am addicted to benzodiazepines, though and have had a lot of support from this website.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't try to start your own group - but (and as a counsellot you'll know this) some participants might possibly accidently or on purpose sabotage things.

If I were you I'd try to find out how many people would be interested before you get started. That said, if people find it helpful, the news will spread.

I hope you're feeling strong enough to take this on. You may very well find that your addiction becomes even worse if you set up your own group, but I say Good \Luck and give it a go. All the best, Tess.

• Posted

Hello Rainbow, I've never posted on this forum before. I've only posted on the anxiety forum.

I started drinking as a teenager. I loved alcohol, I can actually remember thinking 'this stuff brings out the best way in me and makes a good time great'. Many of my friends back then started experimenting with drugs. I miscalled them and thought they were stupid because booze made me feel so great I couldn't imagine why anybody would want to try drugs.

I drank heavily at weekends and social functions. There was quite a drinking culture in the job I did.

However years later when I found myself no longer doing the work I had done for years and suffering from PTSD, my drinking got more and more out of hand. Eventually even I couldn't deny it anymore, I knew I had a problem with drink. I still refused to call myself an alcoholic.

I was given a place at a private residential rehab paid for by the NHS. I soon discovered that the entire focus of the rehab was the AA 12 step model. I saw some people take to it like ducks to water. But I was very resistant to it. I felt like they wanted me to give up an essential part of myself and my own independent thinking to what I found to be a cultish group that seems to create little AA minions.

I was told time and time again 'you will die an alcoholic because you are so in the grip of denial that you won't get with the programme' they loved saying that 'get with the programme'.

I stayed there for 3 months and I continued to half heartedly go to meetings after I left.

Eventually I stopped going. But I didn't start drinking again. I haven't had a drink since 2005. But my PTSD didn't go away and doctors began treating me with lorazepam and diazepam. Over the years I got terribly addicted to these pills.

Now I'm on Oxazepam and zopiclone. I'm trying to get to grips with it. I think your idea of a self help group for alcoholics that isn't based on the AA model is a great idea. I used to wish there was such a thing. I think you'd be surprised by how many people came to your group. I think there are lots of struggling alcoholics that resent the AA model that takes the drink away but tells you you're still sick and will be for the rest of your life.

Im not slagging off AA. I know it works well for some. But I know there are others who actively resent the 12 step model

I wish you the best of luck Rainbow, I hope you do start your group.

• Posted

Hi!  since you are a counselor I think you have more options than the average Joe...So, when you talk about a "group"...you could set up an original group..doesn't have to be AA (unless you want it to be).

In my local newspaper there is a listing of different groups in the area...there is one for "Alienated grandparents"....one I should go to.

You could come up with a name and an advertisement....do they have little local papers you can advertise cheaply in?  

You could come up with some gay name..ya know..LOL...like "Be free" (Im not saying that name to be used...just saying you OWN the group...you name it something cool.  Then a little blip to explain....I am a licensed counselor and am starting a group for people that wish to deal with alcohol and dry substance abuse.  Explain this is or is not AA related....bla, bla, you get it. 

Then find a strategically located church (i only say church because they are very open to helping others and rent space is cheap)...and set up the rental so you can put the location of the meeting in your AD.....great idea to help yourself and others.

Rainbow...as far as your drinking...are going full force no alcohol?  Campral is working for me (I am not craving alcohol even in tough moments).

And Sinclair sounds like the only other alternative if you want to continue drinking (less).  And Sinclair seems like it works for those that follow that "program".

Do something....and things change.  Do nothing and they stay the same.

Listen to me..hahaha....2 weeks sober and I know everything.  NO I don't....but I do know that I feel BETTER this way and I hope to stay this way...and I hope you get to experience what I am feeling soon.

• Posted

Hello everyone 

Thank you so much for all your words of wisdom smile I really appriciate your advice and input. I have been so busy plus not doing that great with the wine the last couple of days so thats the reason I've not been on here to reply . I will to you all . I have taken everything on board that you have all said and thinking lots . Maybe too much lol !!! 

I feel really that although the AA was awful ( please don't take offence anyone , my experience may not have been like yours ) I did feel that the positive support from certain people was great ! I have learnt personally that to have a support network around is the key . Just somebody to be quiiet and listen when you may say three days sober smile Nobody judging, assuming, going into indepth stories about themselves that are not relevant ....

Thats what I would like to offer one day 

Take care everyone and thank you smile 

• Posted

Rainbow, you can come talk to us however you are. That's what we're here for. Most all here have had a run-in with the bottle, so nobody can throw stones.

There are plenty that don't get along with what AA has to offer. In general, abstinence as a strategy only works for about 10% of those with Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD), but we seem to keep getting the message hammered in that it's "the only way". It may just be the nature of the thing, as the regimentation and pressure seeks to keep as many as possible within the fold.

Just as a point of logic, if that strategy only serves 10% of AUD sufferers, it fails to correctly describe the problem faced by the remaining 90%. Just as general guidance in such situations, if we can't seem to come up with a good answer, it might be useful to entertain the notion that we're not starting with a good question.

Fortunately, a couple of decades ago or so, the question began to shift from "How do we stop people from drinking?" to something more like "How do we stop people from wanting to drink?". Enter "Medically Assisted Treatment", which is largely focused on that very question and boom, we have a workable answer for virtually 100% of those that want to get alcohol under their thumb.

While alcohol can be a delightful servant, it's a cruel and terrible master. The good news is that you can put the situation right and we now have the tools to help you get that job done. You've come to the right place.

• Posted

What a brilliant post ADE. I've flagged it to keep. 

I will second what ADE has said Rainbow. We are all here for you in good times, normal times and sad/bad times x

• Posted

Thanks, Paper! I hope Rainbow will stick with us and get her wish!
    • Posted

ADE and paper and all !!! 

I am waving my magiic wand smile We will all get our wishes smile 

Hoping and longing for happiness for us all with positive happy smiles smile xxx

• Posted

As you're a trained counselor, your skills are badly needed in this area. While you can't give medical advise, you can let people know they have options and help them find the right resources. In the age group 20 – 39 years approximately 25 % of the total deaths are alcohol-attributable, so you can see these people really need some help!

There basically a couple of ways of going about getting the drink under control if straight abstinence doesn't work for you. 

1. Detox and start a medication like Campral, which takes away the craving. 

2. Continue drinking and use The Sinclair Method to slowly erase the urge to drink, until you no longer crave alcohol and can freely choose when and how much you'll drink (if any at all). This involves taking Naltrexone or similar, an hour before you drink (only on drinking days). 

There are other ways yet, but those are the two top methods that seem to work for the long term.

There's a book on The Sinclair Method (TSM) that also describes how people fall afoul of AUD. I can get you a free PDF copy, or if you prefer something you can hold in your hand, it's also available on Amazon. More on TSM here:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

There's another book mentioned in the last post here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

It was written by a woman who actually did marketing for a major brewery. She had a dear friend who was stricken with AUD and had tried everything to get it under control. She dove into research on the subject in an attempt to save him, but he passed away before he could get treatment. She decided to pull her research together into this book and get it published so that others could be aware of their options and break free of their affliction. 

It includes a summary of most every med that's been used for treating AUD and lists the research done on each. An excellent book that every counselor should read.

So, there you go. All you need to decide at this point is whether you'd like to bring it to a screeching halt or to continue drinking and taper slowly. 

• Posted

Hi ADEfree,

How on earth, do you stay so positive?

It is great... the way that you can help so informatively... always.

I just lose it.  Oh well, never mind... tomorrow is another day.

All Blessings,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

You're leagues ahead of where you were before you started TSM, Alonangel. You're getting great results and people that turn it around like you have are an inspiration to me!
    • Posted

Aw... Thanks !   I wish I felt like some kind of inspiration.... I just sort of lose the true grit needed to succeed.

Failure Syndrome ?

I hope all is well with you.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

That will come along bit by bit, Alonangel. Seems like every week or so a another bit of my brain comes back to life. I've dropped back to the mid to high teens over the past couple of weeks, before TSM it was over 80 beers per week. 
    • Posted

Thanks so much for all of that ADE . Sorry late reply . I will write more very soon . Just so busy at this time. I appriciate your leffort, thanks

Have a lovely day 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.