Chemical sensitivity affecting throat/chest

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hi, I am a regular on here as some of  you will know.  I am still battling, esophagitis/gerd/hh/reflux which was diagnosed by scope earlier this year.  I refused PPI and doc gave me 150mg Zantac to take am and pm.  I also take mastic gum and seemed to be getting better.  I also cut out spices, way down on alcohol, onions, garlic, fizzy drinks, citrus, most meat and anything that hurt my tum.  I feel better for weeks then something sets me off again and I start again.

However, I have developed a sensitivity to smells like: perfume, after shave, deodorant, toilet cleansers, diesel and even the normally lovely smell of passing a log fire if it is smoking.  This is making my life a nightmare (we have a log fire at home).  Within seconds my throat and chest start burning and can last for hours.  I have had this for the last couple of months and my hubs scratches his head and can't understand why I won't let him use body cologne any more.

No one has heard of it just says - you are weird!!!!!!!

Before I go back to my doc with this and no doubt she will say she has never heard of it, can I have any thoughts from you guys.  I actually think you will know more than my doc anyway.  Other than that, I will google all day tomorrow to find something or someone who has this flippin  horrible complaint. 

Thanks to you all.

G.

3 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I stumbled upon this site while researching procedures i have scheduled along with my symptoms.

Over a year ago my voice started becoming hoarse when I used cleaning chemicals, ie; bleach. It would go away then come back. By last fall my voice stayed hoarse. It made it very hard for me to work. Talking was very hard. It made me tired and dizzy. During Thanksgiving I was on vacation and spent a week with family and was able to regain my voice. As soon as I got back to work it was gone again. I weeded out the stuff that made me lose my voice and it was a multitude of chemicals. Cigarette smoke, exhaust, cleaners, air fresheners, nail polish and so on. At first my husband thought I was crazy. Local Dr's thought I had asthma and treated me with inhalers and steroids. They made it worse. Allergy meds and decongestants were not an option as I'm allergic to them.

In Dec I went to a University Hosp where I was diagnosed with Vocal Cord Dysfunction and spent months being a hermit and going through voice therapy to learn to talk without being winded. They did prescribe me Prilosec for reflux, but I've never noticed any reflux symptoms.

Still out of work and with no treatment for the sensitivity to chemicals. I am very frustrated.

I few months ago I went to my GI Dr for Diverticulos symptoms. During that time I have started experiencing bad indigestion. Dr changed my meds and I am getting worse.

3 weeks ago I had an Endoscopy and while talking to the Dr about my reactions to chemicals he said he would look closely at my throat. They turned on the oxygen and I reacted to the chemical in the tubing being pushed into my airway. The Dr heard the reaction which was great for me. He saw redness in my Esophagus. So now I wait to get an Esophageal Menomentry and PH tests done. I hope that something is explained. My family and friends have been very supportive of my crazy illness. They walk a few steps in front of me letting me know if smells I react to are too close as well as when a smoker is around.

I hope that everyone on this page looking for relief in their symptoms get it. I know I am using all my resources to get it.

• Posted

I have the same issue with being sensitive to harsh chemicals as well as smoke. This started last summer when I started getting excessive phlegm and having to constantly clear my throat. I’m not sure if my throat is just irritated and raw from constantly clearing it (which is a whole other issue) but if I come in contact with any chemicals my throat gets very irritated and scratchy feeling. This also happens if a neighbor is grilling or has a fire going it will irritate my throat. I also suffer from acid reflux and the doctor thought that was the cause of my excessive throat clearing.
    • Posted

Yes it is a total nightmare - I did finally get rid of it by Kinesiology sessions.  The therapist could feel inflammation in my body via my hand muscles - weird but it worked for me.
  • Posted

Hi Gwen I think this is common when you trouble with acid reflux,yes scents do bother me and think it comes with the acis reflux, even sinus and allergy,my doctor gives me tabs for it and said it comes with the acid reflux.
  • Posted

I have chest and throat tightness with exposure to smell. Perfumes, smoke,detergent  etc. I am looking for suggestions.

thanks

maria

• Posted

Hi, it is a nightmare I know.  I got rid of it by Kinesiology sessions, it took two. That was 18 months ago and I still ok.  She said she could feel inflammation running through my body.  I can now tolerate an open fire again and us my perfume.  Perhaps look into it.

G.

• Posted

Hi I have just seen this I have all the same problems of smelling and Chest pains
  • Posted

I have recently developed similar symptoms - the burning throat with exposures to smoke and when some foods are cooking. My question is, did people notice these symptoms before they were on the gastric reflux meds or only after? and which types.

I am worried that some of the medications might be making this worse. It's pretty horrid.

But I would like to try something.

• Posted

Now you mention it, my chemical sensitivity did come after meds, but a while after. Could be an issue maybe. I know PPIs reek havoc with your body so refused them. A Kinesiologist stopped it for me. She said she had treated it before and I was desperate. My doc did not know what I was talking about when I said it was a big problem. It was soo bad we had to stop lighting our log fire (real fire) as the smell which I usually love drove me insane. Even if someone in the neighbourhood lit a fire and my windows were closed, it would seep through the cracks in the frames and the pain would begin and last hours.

I am back to a real fire again 😃

• Posted

So Glad you are doing better. 😃

Did you continue the Zantac?

Did you ever stop it and get the "smell" symptoms back?

• Posted

I have been back to normal since my visits to her - I do still take Zantac.

• Posted

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION! CAN I GET THE KINSIOLOGIST PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL ADDRESS PLEASE

BEST REGARDS

MARIA

• Posted

Is the kinesologist Uk based? does anyone know of any US based Drs or practioners?

• Posted

My kinesiologist is UK. Hope you can get one in US - there must be practices there as this is not new. I still have no return of the symptoms and can tolerate all smells, even paint. I had 3 sessions 3 years ago. Good luck.

• Posted

Dear Maria, If Gwen did give you the contact details for the kinesiologist would you be so kind as to let me have them also? I have this problem and its really bad right now as a so called chemical free mattress turned out not to be and my whole house is contaminated. All the carpets have absorbed it. So need to find this kinesiologist urgently! many thanks for your help, Nicola.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.