Chest pain after endoscopy?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had an endoscopy (upper) for the first time this morning. Very uncomfortable experience (had throat spray only) but managed to get through it feeling okay.

Almost 12 hours later now and I’ve had a pretty blunt pain in my chest for most of it - pretty much right in the middle of my chest. It’s not constant, but very discomforting, especially when I eat or drink anything no matter now soft.

I am aware some discomfort is normal after this procedure, but how much, and at what point should I be concerned (if at all)? They did take quite a number of biopsies, so I assume this will be a contributing factor to my discomfort - but again, should I be worrying at all about this?

This isn’t a pain I felt at all before the procedure, it’s only come after and is still there.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jen,

It will be all the air they pumped into your stomach to open it up during the procedure. It can sometimes hang around for a couple of days, causing a lot of pain. Occasionally, the biopsy can cause a bit of residual pain too, especially if it was taken from the oesophagus.

Danger signs are "coffee ground" vomit, or black, sticky, foul-smelling diarrhoea. Both of these are signs of internal bleeding but are very rare after endoscopy. If you don't have these signs, then don't worry about it, the pain will soon ease.

• Posted

Hi. I am hoping that you receive this because I see the strand was from about six months ago.  I just had an endoscopy yesterday and I am feeling all of the symptoms that you previously mentioned. The doctor is saying it is normal, but I have had endoscopies before and have never felt this way. Did your symptoms subside? Was there a bigger issue for you or was it simply just discomfort after the procedure? I appreciate any feedback! Thank you. 
    • Posted

Hey Melissa just wanted to give you some kind of comment back so that you wouldn't feel alone.  Hopefully you're feeling better now since your comment was 16 days ago but I'm currently going through the same. It probably is some extra air pain but at least two of my chest pain spots I know 100% are biopsy spots.  I was not sedated and felt those two clips, very sharp pinches. I've been trying to find any info on how long it takes the biopsy spots to heal but no luck 🙁 

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you so much for posting. Yes, I definitely feel better. If it is any consolation, the first 2 days were the worst with the discomfort getting progressively better as the days went on. I would say that I was back to myself by days 4-5. I hope that you are feeling better very soon!.

• Posted

Hi

I had an endoscopy today and and 8 hours later my throat is very sore even from just drinking water. I also have a pain in my chest especially when I take a deep breath or move  around. I have mild stomach pain but this I am putting down to air which was pumped in. Just really hoping it won’t last to long 

• Posted

I had chest pains/pressure for a week after my endoscopy and extreme discomfort swallowing. It felt like there was a sore that was being scraped every time food went down within a couple of seconds of swallowing. I called doctor's office after 3 days and the receptionist / nurse seemed concerned and said to call back the next day, but when I did another receptionist told me not to worry and that it's common to last for about a week. This was after having had an endoscopy several years previously with absolutely no after-effects and the doctor telling me there should be no discomfort at all after the procedure. Anyway, after a lot of freaking out and worrying, 8 days later the pains did eventually subside and then disappear.

• Posted

I just had an upper endoscopy this morning. Everything seemed okay until later this afternoon. Now it seems every time I swallow I am getting 2 separate pains in my chest (or esophagus?) as whatever I swallowed makes it's way to my stomach. It happens every time I swallow anything - including saliva and water. Chest seems very sore too. Is this normal? Should I call the dr? I'm concerned. Not sure if it matters, but I know he took some biopsies..

• Posted

Don't worry Claire, this is quite normal. And they always take biopsies during upper endoscopy. Give it time. It can take a couple of weeks to get back to normal. As a former nurse, I wish doctors would warn people about this. Their rationale is that if they tell patients about possible after-effects then they'll imagine they've got them. Instead, they tell patients nothing, leaving them to get into a panic when they do get after-effects.

Avoid eating bread and potatoes for at least the next few days, as both tend to have an abrasive effect on the oesophagus (especially bread, somewhat surprisingly). Just eat bland foods like soup and yoghourt for a few days and it will soon get better.

• Posted

Hi Jen,

I had the upper endoscopy 5 days ago and now I can still feel the back/chest pain at night, it prevent me from falling asleep and very annoying.

I went to the urgent care clinic 2days ago, the doctor told me I have GERD, now I'm taking omeprazole and anti acid liquid, which can make me feel better but still can do nothing for my pain at night, is the pain you are having getting worse at night?

• Posted

Hi!

I Also have pain following my endoscopy.. It has been about 4/5 days since I gotten the procedure yet my chest/back still hurt very much. It feels like there is something stuck in my chest which makes it very hard to breathe. I can't drink, eat, or even swallow without feeling the pain in my chest. I also have the constant need to burp with this pain. I am very uncomfortable and sometimes the pain is extremely bad. I was wondering if this was normal and I should wait it out or if I should get help

• Posted

hey Megan,

just want to ask how you feeling?? did you find out whats going on??

• Posted

i just had an upper endoscopy two days ago the day of the procedure i felt no pain but yesterday and today have felt mild pressure/chest discomfort i am considering going to the ER since its a weekend night

i worry more than i should i just am concerned something is wrong the pain isnt severe but its there seems to be right where my stomach and esophogas would meet

• Posted

hi julia im wondering how you are going now??? i had an endoscopy yesterday and i felt fine all day but now today i get a pain where my esophagus and stomach meet, even when water passes by there!!! im so scared it wont go away

• Posted

Hi Alex,

I also felt worse day or 2 after endoscopy. Chest,throat discomfort all came after and lasted for a couple of weeks.And this is without biopsy. I think people react differently to this kind of invasive procedure.

Hope it goes away sooner for you.

• Posted

ah its driving me crazy with nerves, my back is aching as well and now throbs too. people definitely react differently i just hope no permanent damage was done to me.... thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.