Chest pain after endoscopy?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I had an endoscopy (upper) for the first time this morning. Very uncomfortable experience (had throat spray only) but managed to get through it feeling okay.

Almost 12 hours later now and I’ve had a pretty blunt pain in my chest for most of it - pretty much right in the middle of my chest. It’s not constant, but very discomforting, especially when I eat or drink anything no matter now soft.

I am aware some discomfort is normal after this procedure, but how much, and at what point should I be concerned (if at all)? They did take quite a number of biopsies, so I assume this will be a contributing factor to my discomfort - but again, should I be worrying at all about this?

This isn’t a pain I felt at all before the procedure, it’s only come after and is still there.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello everyone! I'm extremely thankful to have found this thread. I too just had a upper endoscopy procedure done this last Wednesday. In the recovery area I experienced uncomfortable chest pains and back pain. I asked if it was normal and my GI requested a CT scan to make sure I did not have a perforation (hole). Good news that came back good, but im still experiencing periodic chest pains on and off. My back has also been aching which is making sleep tough. I read through all your responses and am relieved to see its common. I am taking Omeprazole and Sacrflate to help heal my ulcers. Today I will slowly be transitioning into a normal diet. My family is telling me i had large polyps removed and clipped, and that its in shock and p****d so give it two weeks to get back to norm. Thank you all for your wisdom through experience on this. I wish doctors would ease our concerns with letting us know its normal so we're not panicking thinking the worst. Im a jump to conclusions person so, that would of been helpful, but thank goodness for others like yall speaking out with their experiences. Take care and may you all have a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.