Chest pain after surgical procedure??

Posted , 4 users are following.

So as some of you know I miscarried last week. I had the d&c today where I was placed until general anesthesia. I woke up with the worst chest pain I have ever had. It came. Then went. Then came. Then went. Then came one last time. It was middle chest going through my back and giving me the worst backache ever. Finally I told my doctor and she checked me with a stethoscope, pulse ox and blood pressure.. All of which were fine. Now my brain is telling me it was gas (i sat up and drank pop, burped a bunch of chemical tasting gas and haven't had the pains since).. But my anxiety mind is saying "oh no it was something more"... I just need some reassurance that it was gas. Even though like i said, they checked me while I was having the pains and it was normal.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Severe gas and you can get that easily with that procedure. My mother had two of them i think. I remember her laying bed. Take it easy for a couple of days.
  • Posted

When I was reading your post the first thing that came to mind was gas. I have had surgery 5 times. Each time my doctor warned me that I can have bad chest and back pain. It's definitely gas! It should be gone in 24-48 hours. It's painful but it will go away. smile

• Posted

The very first thing I thought of when I read your post was...gas. The exact same thing happened to a family member after a surgical procedure. We massaged her all over...gas poured out of her until we had to hold our breaths, and SHE asked if she could leave the room. Instantly...pain gone...and so were we.lol You are fine Honey.

• Posted

It is most likely gas especially as you drank a fizzy drink and you have felt relief, and it has not returned.

If you have any kind of shooting pains, particularly in the chest area of down your arms, then get that checked out immediately... but from what you have described it is probably just gas.

• Posted

It's gas! I have experienced this after two ops. Both times I thought I was damn well having a heart attack! The surgeon after one op told me it was quite common

• Posted

It was caused by the tube put down your throat for the general anaesthetic, very probably.

The vast majority who have general anaesthetics get this, or a sore throat, after the procedure.

How are you feeling now, about the baby, I mean?        Love Tess. xx

• Posted

Pretty much have come to terms with it. Just a bit concerned that this means I'll probably be looking into surrogacy eventually because of my medical background with pregnancies.. Very emotional today bit I guess that's expected since my hormones have to once again adjust. Thank you for asking!

• Posted

Oh, darling. I do understand - I had twelve miscarriages - and the pain with each one was unbearable.

I did have four successful pregnancies as well..........so maybe you will, too?

I pray that this will happen for you. xxxxxxx

• Posted

I can't even imagine.. I have a little girl and little boy so I'm content for now at least.. Have you had a d&c ever if you don't mind me asking? I'm a bit nervous about the bleeding but I'm pretty sure it's normal, just scared about these horrendous blood clots that everyone keeps talking about to me.

• Posted

Yes, I had a D & C after most of them - some were so early that it wasn't necessary but all the ones that were 10 weeks or over needed curettage.

I found the first one was the worst - the first miscarriage, I mean, and that was because I was 14 weeks when it happened. After the bleeding started I just took to my bed and then labour pains started. By that evening I was in A & E and given good painkillers by injection and admitted. A scan the next day revealed that the baby was dead so as I was bleeding quite a bit and I was in the second trimester, I had a general anaesthetic and D & C. The operation itself was fine - recovered, medically speaking, very quickly. But the desolation of the death of my first child still (after 35 years) haunts me.

You need not fear a D & C, darling. They put you to sleep and the next minute (or so it seems) you're wide awake.

You have mentioned horrendous blood clots - are you actually having this? Because if you are, you need to go straight back to the hospital. If you're just worrying that you might get them, rest assured that almost all women DO NOT get them. Do answer me. xxxx Tess

• Posted

No I don't have the horrendous ones but I have the small ones that are maybe as large as a quarter at the worst. The bleeding itself isn't too bad, I'll have some cramps, pass a clot or two and then have a bit of blood. I'm just done with this already, it's just annoying that every time I use the bathroom it's a constant reminder.

• Posted

Yes, the awful constant reminder. Can I ask how many weeks pregnant you were?
    • Posted

I was technically going on 11 weeks but the baby and hcg levels pinned me right around 9.5 weeks when it stopped growing.
    • Posted

Ok......... so actually you should not be having any cramps or even small clots. That is late first trimester. The further on in your pregnancy you are, the more you bleed. But you shouldn't be having cramps and clots - you should just be having similar bleeding to a light period.

I would advise you to see your doctor today. If that isn't possible, go back to the ER. They may have left some of the placenta inside - which does put you at risk of infection and continuing blood loss. An ultrasound will pick it up. There are tablets that can be given to sort this out. Worst-case scenario - another D & C. (I'm a midwife, by the way.)   xxxxxxx

• Posted

I should've mentioned I took 4 tablets of methergine before i began bleeding.. I'll be calling my doctor today though

• Posted

Ok so they said it's normal to pass pieces of tissue that my uterus didn't let go during the procedure but if i start bleeding heavily, foul odor, fever, lightheadedness or dizziness that I need to be seen. It was a different on call doctor and not mine, but I'll be calling back Monday if it still doesn't to away

• Posted

That is quite right - I was just checking you had all the information.

xxxxxxxx

• Posted

I hope you feel soon! Hopefully this time next week all of this will be a bad but faded memory and your body will be healing. Under these circumstances if you feel any thing is "off" it is understandable to contact your doctor. It will hopefully all resolve shortly. This isnt a light procedure. It is meant to clean out the whole lining so your body can reset and return to its natural state so keep that in mind as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.