Chest pain during running

Posted , 11 users are following.

Question: Does angina happen during extreme exercise to a healthy man without any heart disease/plaque build-up 

Background: While running when i am extremely tired and exhausted(after running for long time)  i feel pain in chest which is sometimes at left or mostly at right side of the chest. the pain goes away as soon as i stop running and doesn't return even if i start running after resting a few minutes. I can't say that it is heart pain as it is mostly at right side of the chest.   

note: The pain does NOT spread to other areas and i am just 16 years old with a healthy weight, active life style and i don't smoke/drink; it all makes any heart disease very unlikely.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think you have answered your own question it sounds more like a muscular pain
    • Posted

Yes. but it happens with exercise and stops with rest. and on an article online i read that the chest pain is not always angina but "if pain in chest starts by exercise and disappears with rest, it is definately angina". this article gave me nightmares. having a heart disease at this age with such a healthy lifestyle is very painful for me as I have seen my grandparents die due to heart disease. 
  • Posted

ok but you also say that it does not return when you start running again after a short rest, I suggest if it really concerns you that you should go see your GP
  • Posted

Are you sure it isn't just a "stitch", ie a sudden sharp cramp in a muscle, which is extremely common (ie normal)?
    • Posted

I don't know exactly it starts with a little stress which resemble the feeling of hold something heavy. if i continue my run it's severity increases. A few days back i continued to run with that feeling then it turned a bit sharp like something pointy piercing through chest. but as i said it is at right side of the chest. the pain disappears as soon as i stop running. that day i again ran after 2 minutes and that i felt nothing. 
  • Posted

After some research online i found that a stable angina may or maynot be due to plaque of clot but just due to vasoconstriction. I took a heavy dose of antihestamine as well as nasal decongestants for 7 days which can be a possible reason for excessive vasoconstriction. My angina doesn't happen at moderate exercise, it happens after about 12 minutes of running. I will see if my pain goes away after a few days of exercising. If it goes away then I will tell you guys, if it doesn't I will contact GP. 

One more doubt: Does angina can happen without any CAD. I mean if any healthy man exercise very hard wouldn't he have a angina for short period. 

• Posted

Hi, I just had to reply to you as what you are experiencing sounds the same as me. First at 16 years old the chances of it being heart related are monumentally low, especially if you don't have risk factors like family history, so try and take some reassurance from that. 

I get chest pain only when I run or do Zumba or the kind of exercise where I'm moving my upper body a lot. It can be on the right or left side or in the middle. It starts in my chest but feels like it goes right through to my back, and if I continue it just gets worse to the point where I can't carry on. It's n

• Posted

Whoops, didn't mean to press send! I'll carry on... 

It's not the kind of pain I can just run through, I have to stop. However, I can get on the exercise bike for as long as I want and no problem whatsoever. I've had all the tests and it's been confirmed it is definitely not heart related. 

So, the first thing is, how quickly does it stop? Angina stops within a few minutes of rest, whereas muscular pain would usually stop almost immediately. And I suggest you go to a gym and try exercising on a stationary bike and see if you have any problems. If not, you can be pretty sure it's muscular. 

This has been happening to me for about 5 years and I still have no idea what is causing it, but the important thing is it's not heart related, so I just have to work around it. If I ever find out what it is and how to stop it I'll let you know! 

I've also read a lot of posts online about young people that have chest pain when running and a lot of them seem to be able to stop it by breathing through their nose... something to do with cold air or carbon dioxide or something... anyway if you just google 'chest pain only when running' you'll find them. Doesn't work for me so I guess they have a different problem. 

And of course I'm not a doctor so you should still go and see your GP, just relating my experiences. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Thanks it really helped. The pain stops immediately as soon as i stop running so do you think it is chest pain according to your experience. personally i don't believe GPs. They give you aspirin calcium channel blockers and astatin for the rest of your life and at 16 i don't want to spend rest of my life eating medicines. 
  • Posted

Stop panicking, Suchal. It won't be your heart at 16 years old, no one's going to put you on drugs for life. Ask your friends to describe what it's like having a "stitch". You will almost certainly find someone who experiences the same pain as you and doesn't worry about it.
  • Posted

Hi su , i think we're in the same boat . I play tennis and after 15 mns of play i have this chest pain and have to stop for about 10 mns and then i can keep playing for hours without pain . Strange thing is when i go for bike rides 1.5 hrs i feel nothing . I been 2 days in hospital and had all heart tests done and to my great surprise nothing wrong with my health was found .most probably its muscle concern they said . It is frustrating though because i still have it and can do nothing about it .
  • Posted

Please get checked out Suchal, Two years ago I had chest pain while running but ignored it and put it down to a stitch or something. A few days later I ran again no problems. A few weeks before this I had been to the well man clinic at my GP and was told I only had a 10% chance of having a heart attack in the next 10 years. Six weeks later while on my mountain bike I experianced chest pain again. This time it did not go away and I had a heart attack. If I had my time again I wish I had gone to get checked out the first sign of chest pain. I am alive but unable to enjoy the things I loved to do. I can walk about 3 miles thats it. I implore to go better safe than sorry. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.