Chest pains difficultly walking

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I'm not yet diagnosed but doctors assume I have a form of angina. I've been very unwell for past four months with chest pains, breathlessness, neck, jaw and collar bone pains. Also have pains in my calfs at times and a tightness in my throat. I then feel ill for ages after each attack. So should be having an ecg stress test and lung function test next week to hopefully get to bottom of it all.

Until 4months ago I was able to walk miles and was very active. But now I can bearly walk 30steps at slow pace before I have chest pains etc. I'm terrified of going out on my own. Doctors seem baffled. Also find the smallest of chores a struggle. is walking in particular a symptom of angina for anyone else?

I am on Imdur for my angina and also use a nitro spray. Also take meds for HBP and my problems went don't Hill since being on blood pressure tablets. Just wondered if there is hope that the distance I can walk will actually improve??

Thanks everyone, look forward to hearing from you

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

although I have all the angina signs i find the spray of no use. is imdur a beta blockerĀ 
    • Posted

Hi

It's like the nitrate spray but in tablet form so lasts 24hrs. But doesn't really stop all my chest pains I still have to use my spray a lot of the time. The spray top up doesn't always work so I end up in A&E.

• Posted

wow you are a lot worse that me at the moment, i hope they sort you quick, i just hate this nagging acheĀ 
  • Posted

Grace. I have had Micro Vascular Angina for a couple of years. I have been in and out of hospital over almost three years. Somedays I can walk 900 metres other days I know I cant and font even try. Good luck. At least you have these tests coming up to give you some answers.
    • Posted

Hi Triple. I really can't wait to have my tests done, I feel more anxious for not knowing. I think from all I have read that I may have the same condition as yourself. Like you sometimes I know I shouldn't even try to walk.

Are you on nitrate tablets? Does your medication help you out a lot? Anyway thanks and good luck as well

• Posted

Im on nitrates, ivabradine, i take eight tablets in the morning and 7 at night. Some are Twice daily tablets. Learn to know your body take small steps. Take each day and learn to pace yourself.
    • Posted

I'm learning fast and know now when to take things a bit more easy. I understand that people become used to nitrate tablets and so they can lose thier affect. I can see my tablets being increased as they don't currently help me enough, and I use my spray way too often. Hope you don't mind me saying that you seem to be on a lot of medication. But the main thing is that you can function without pain. I haven't been able to get back to work yet, hopefully will be able to once I have diagnosis and correct medication. Thanks for the advice!

• Posted

Typical, had the test but the last couple of days I have been really stable on my new medication. During test blood pressure went very high and heart rate, was also breathlessness but NO chest pain or neck pain etc. Can't believe it!! Was on treadmill for approximately 3mins before I had to get off. Just hope new medication hasn't masked symptoms. I won't get the results for a month.......

• Posted

Hi 🙋 Tracey,at least you lasted 3mins on treadmill I cant even look at one without getting breathless because of my COPD but there in is my problem,is it Angina or Emphysema chest pain I get,GTN spray doesn't always work,so I just wait and see what happens if pain gets too bad then I get wife to take me to AE to get it checked out ,doesn't happen too often these days as I don't go running just for a bit of chest pain as I don't like wasting their time,ECGs are mostly normal.you say about new medication masking symptoms well is that not a bad thing?,hope your results are good.x.

• Posted

Yes I was very surprised I lasted as long. On Monday I couldn't even walk three steps and last few months the smallest of tasks made my chest pain etc come on. So I'm just confused by today's performance. Obviously I'm happy if medication is helping but just want to find out the underlined problem if there is one.

Like you I get checked out at A&E if spray doesn't work after several attempts. It really does feel like I'm wasting everyone's time, but better to be safe and hubby takes me too. I should be having a lung function test next week also. I don't think problem is my lungs though but have a puffer just in case.

Glad your not having too many chest pains these days your obviously doing something right. Thanks for your comments and all the best to you x

• Posted

And all the very best to you as well,thing is don't stress out,I don't,what will be,will be.x

• Posted

Hi gracey,

No the medication wouldn't of masked the symptoms for angina, unless you took your morning doses ?  that is, if you are on the long acting nitrates, usually they tell you not to take your daily medication for angina  on the day of your exercise test.

Angina medication will reduce the number and severity of attacks but they don't always work, people can build up a tolerance to angina medications, especially if they have been on them for a long time. Just because you didn't get pain on the treadmill doesn't mean you don't have angina, if it comes back good there will be more tests to come I'm sure.

Best of luck and I hope you get negative results, angina isn't very nice.

• Posted

Hi Samuel

NO I really don't want angina but want to be sure I don't have it if tests come back negative. They told me to continue on morning dose so I took all medication as normal. But also had test two hours later so this is why I think I coped better, but who knows.

I know use my spray before doing things that bring n on pain, this is a great tip and really helped..... Thanks! Obviously still have to take things relatively easy but coping better than I did.

Results come back within a month so will see how it goes. Thanks for your response!

• Posted

I did take 24hr nitrate tablet beforehand because told in letter to do so. Did think it a bit strange

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.