Chest pains difficultly walking

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I'm not yet diagnosed but doctors assume I have a form of angina. I've been very unwell for past four months with chest pains, breathlessness, neck, jaw and collar bone pains. Also have pains in my calfs at times and a tightness in my throat. I then feel ill for ages after each attack. So should be having an ecg stress test and lung function test next week to hopefully get to bottom of it all.

Until 4months ago I was able to walk miles and was very active. But now I can bearly walk 30steps at slow pace before I have chest pains etc. I'm terrified of going out on my own. Doctors seem baffled. Also find the smallest of chores a struggle. is walking in particular a symptom of angina for anyone else?

I am on Imdur for my angina and also use a nitro spray. Also take meds for HBP and my problems went don't Hill since being on blood pressure tablets. Just wondered if there is hope that the distance I can walk will actually improve??

Thanks everyone, look forward to hearing from you

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, I've now had all my tests. Is it normal to have to wait 3 months for results? As that's when my next appointment to see my cardiologist is!

My own gp doesn't want to touch my medication and just sends me to A&E each time I've had a wobble. Also I haven't been back to work in last four months. Do I go back and see how I get on knowing I probably won't cope?? I'm at my wits end!!! Any advice?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi gracey,

Unfortunately that is usually the case, Although if there was something of real concern they would organise an urgent appointment with your cardiologist. Usually they tell you the results on the day if an angiogram was performed, on all occassions I was told what they had or had not found. You could ask your GP for the results as they are sent to them as well.

• Posted

Hi

Contacted gp surgery they say to contact the cardiologist's secretary. Unfortunately no answer from them. I gathered that if anything was majorly wrong they would contact me sooner. But it's the not knowing that's driving me mad. I had an ecg stress test and lung function test but they wouldn't share results at the time. Suppose I will have to keep pestering my gp to see if they have any updates, and also be more patient. It's also because if I have got angina I'm not stable enough to work as yet, but medication won't be reviewed now until late December. It will probably be the case that I go back to work and end up off sick again, and again.

Sorry for ranting I know everyone is in a similar or worse position having to wait for a diagnosis and correct treatment.

Thanks for your reply though

• Posted

Hi,

Yes it's the waiting and not knowing and they shouldn't really be allowed to do it smile

I know the stress tests can take a day or 2 to be looked at thoroughly and compared to any other tests that you may of had prior, As you say if there was something majorly wrong the doctor that performed the stress test would notify cardiology immedietly, was your stress test done in 2 parts ? resting and had the dye injected and scans taken then put onto the treadmill and about 10-15 minutes later dye injected again and another lot of scans done ? (This is only from memory as it was ages ago since I had one done ) I can't remember if the dye was injected after the stress part, pretty sure it was otherwise they wouldn't be able to pick anything up .

I'm a bit surprised, the more I think about it, I was to see my cardiologist 2 weeks after each test, except for the angiogram, he gave me a "drive by" while he was looking around in the arteries and I knew the extent of my minor blockages during and after the procedure.

Stay strong and try not to worry, I know it's not easy and best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you once again for your response.

The test was rather basic just walked on a treadmill strapped to a blood pressure monitor and and obviously my heart was monitored. No dye etc.

I'm going to really try and just be patient :0)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.