Chest Pains in 16 year old, i don't know what to do anymore.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, im 16 years old male, almost 17. I've been experiencing chest pains for over a year now. 

It is really stressful and i've had couple panic attacks in the past, as well as feeling anxious and at times quite depressed about it. 

It all began as a chest pain that wouldnt go away, i've went to my GP he said it's really rare for my age to have heart diseases and he gave me some muscle pain relievers. The pain didn't go away. I've been to another hospital where they took my blood and did the ECG, nothing came up and i was told it might be vitamin D deficency as i live in quite rainy place, or just musclular pains that are very common in my age group. That had me relieved a little bit, but the pain didnt go away. I started having panic attacks and once called an ambulance where they checked me up and told me it was just anxiety. That was a year ago. A lot has changed since then, i've started having sharp stabbing pains right where my heart is, that would happen at random, and started having difficulties when walking up the hill. by difficulties i mean, my heart would beat really fast and i couldn't get a full breath, same with stairs. As im writing this i've been experiencing this mild burning pain slightly to the left of my chest, which is hard to locate, sometimes i would get shooting pains into my left arm right to my fingers. And also after running i get chest pain that gets worse with breathing, and sometimes shoots to my jaw. I've read so much about angina that this is it

Also I'm waiting on an Echo of my heart, i've been taken my blood again and my Echo appointment is in March, which is a long time from now... i've been waiting for 2 months. I've been put on beta-blockers since when i was at the doctors he noticed my heart was going a bit fast. It would really help if you gave me some answers or your thoughts on this, as I'm almost going insane and don't know what do. I feel like everything i do is so pointless, and i feel like i can die at any minute.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is a common thing with me too. I am 18. Good thing you are getting an echo that will tell you about the more serious things. Are you fit? Eat healthy? What about acid refux problems? Or do you play any sports? Do you have any other symptoms besides the chest pain symptoms?
    • Posted

Do you live in an area where lyme disease is prevalent?
    • Posted

Hello, thank you for the reply. I wouldn't say i'am living a healthy life style for the past year or so, i'm scared of excercise and the racing heart. I used to be very active on sports few years ago, but it's been going down hill and i would sit more and more at home, it might be due to me moving to different country and not having as much friends. But even now when i do have friends it's really hard to do anything without the fear of dying. This whole thing gave me anxiety. I have a history of acid reflux problems, when i was around 8 i was told that i need to stop eating fried foods or there will be complications in the future. I've kind of ignored it. I do have what it seems shortness of breath at times, but it's really hard to tell, it's usually feeling of not being able to get a full breath more than just feeling short of breath. sometimes a pain would go down my arm for a sec or as long as a minute. I've also noticed that i get out of breath quite quickly when excercising and the pain shows up with excercise as well. Although the pain also gets worse when i breathe in while excercising.

• Posted

I'am not overweight. My height is around 1.75m and my weight is around 65kg. The whole getting out of breath could be due to me not exercising much, i was thinking. But im not too sure.

• Posted

Also i think it is worth mentioning that i've been smoking for half a year. (not regulary, from time to time, when i would go out.) but stopped around 4 months ago.

• Posted

and i have no family history of heart disease, except for some palpitations that my grandpa from my dad's side was experiencing in his 30-s, 40-s.

• Posted

N.I. is a low to medium risk area.They live in heathland and hillsides and prefer animals to people. If you are bitten it usually leaves a target like mark on the area,   
    • Posted

Sports usually cause Costo or pluerisy. Anxiety also plays a role too. Oh and acid reflux is a major thing with chest pain and feelings of your heart being bad. It can cause many other problems too, I suggest cleaning up your diet a bit. I went the hospital for my heart and I had a EKG and it was fine. This is when my acid reflux started and it hurt pretty bad thought it was attacking my heart. Palpitations are usually nothing to worry about too. I get pain in my arm too. 
    • Posted

Yeah, well i used to try and cope with my symptoms by trying to get distracted... but it's getting harder and harder, and i feel depressed at times. Sometimes i would drink alcohol too. and feel even worse the next day.

• Posted

Actually, you are wrong. Lyme disease comes from more things than just ticks for ones. Secondly, Ticks will bite anything it wants too. It doesn't matter where you live. A lot of people in UK have Lyme believe it or not and are struggling terribly to get treatment. Thirdly, 50% of people will not have the rash or even remember getting bit. Also, 50% of people..sometimes more...will get misdiagnosed and have inconclusive testing.

• Posted

Well all of this most certainly plays a role. I have been struggling with anxiety too. As I said acid reflux can cause tons of stomach and chest problems. So monitor it. I get the breath thing too, I hate the feeling of not being able to get enough air in. That is called "Air Hunger" which is caused by multiple things as well. I would look more into Lyme and just relax and try not to worry until your echo test.

• Posted

From reports many more believe they have it than actually do. There are so many symptoms to confuse the doctors.
    • Posted

From reports, many people think they don’t have it and actually do. Of course it confuses doctors and they brush it off.  Lots of symptoms that happen fast and out of no where but there isn’t many diseases or illnes ext out there that does such a thing. Unless it’s autoimmune or something. Or mold. Hence Lyme and it’s co infections/parasites. 
    • Posted

Yeah but my echo is 2 months away from now, and I feel like it's way too long to wait. Atm I'm still awake at 5:51 AM and left hand/wrist/arm pain is present for 5 min or so, this is lasting longer than usual. Also another thing, my posture is quite bad, i don't sit straight on my chair sometimes, could this be nerve injuries or RSI?

• Posted

What are your parents saying/doing  about all of this ?
    • Posted

yeah posture can mess you up too. and create long term problems. It can be a hard thing to correct. Trust me, I been sick with a lot of problems including having some of your symptoms and I am still alive and I haven't got nearly half the tests you have. I only have had an EKG a few times and xrays. I get the same arm pain, pain around my heart, and chest pain that can be very bad. I also have the acid reflux.

• Posted

I'm sorry that you have these symptoms, it really gets in the way of enjoying something i used to enjoy. But it helps to know that i'm not the only one having this.

• Posted

Yep, tell me about it! it sucks, but hang in there. you'll be fine!

• Posted

Yeah, thanks for the reassurance. I'll try to keep that in mind!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.