Chest xray

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all

How likely is it that a chest xray will miss lung cancer? Heard so many stories of this happening lately.... I had a chest xray in Jan 2016 and one Mar 10 2017 both clear but still having coughing symptoms all the time!

2 likes, 134 replies

134 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, chest x-rays find lung cancer most of the time but a far from great. Most esitmates online are about 50-75% detection. Small tumours can be missed simply because they are small, even larger tumours low in the lung can be hard to see in front of the diaphram, or they can be obscured behind bone or heart. I had a clear chest x-ray a month ago but am having a chest ct scan next week as worrying symptoms persist. 
    • Posted

Worrying isint it? 

What are your symptoms if you dont mind me asking?

• Posted

loss of appetite

intermittent cough which is sometimes quite bad

vague non-specific back and rib pain

you have had a cough for 15 months now so you're probably fine, especially if thats your only symptom

• Posted

How long have you had your symptoms?

I started with a cough last year this time and it went now its back with throat tightness and wheezing, I am going for lung functions tests next week.

have you had any blood tests so far? I had back pain for weeks on end....

• Posted

So strange, I had my bloods done end Dec and they were fine but it was taken for a change in meds, I have re-done them yesterday, hoping they are all ok.....im so anxious as to what the issue is!

How old are you? I am 36 and a former smoker (stopped 9 weeks ago) was smoking on/off for 18 years, but more on.......hence the nervousness!

• Posted

well blood tests don't normally show up any cancer redflags unless it's a specific tastse for specific cancers.though  sounds to me like you're cough and wheezing might be consitent with asthma maybe? I'm actually only 26 but was a heavy smoker at university, I too am very worried

• Posted

Yup I know its the persistent cough that is making me very anxious! 

Bloods tests dont but they are a good indication to a GP how your body is functioning ie white blood cells etc.. - l think they will send me for a chest ct scan also.....very scared they find cancer!

• Posted

My bloods are normal so waiting for the lung function tests tomorrow. 

Let me know the results of the CT scan when you have them 

Good luck 

• Posted

I had blood tests today, too. I almost feel like this time they will flag something up, calcium in the blood perhaps. I was due to have a lung function test next month but just going right ahead with a scan now instead. And thank you, If it's not cancer it's something masquerading as cancer.

• Posted

What test do they run to check for calcuim in the blood? I think they just look at calcium levels. Have you had a FBC/CBC?

Sorry I am having the lung function tests next week. I will probably end up going for the chest ct scan too if these tests prove anything worrying. 

• Posted

Check your sodium levels also, I am having my liver and kidney function tests next week so that will tell me a little more too.... 
    • Posted

Hi there

Any further with your tests?

I had my lung function tests and it was normal, no asthma or COPD - so DR has given me steroid nasal spray.......dont know how much more I can take!

• Posted

Hi, I couldn't have the CT scan in the end because apparently there was a misunderstanding with my GP and she only meant for to have a CT scan if the blood tests I had around the time of seeing her abormal, which unsurprisngly they didn't. I think it's ridiculous as blood tests aren't likely to flag up anything for lung cancer anyway, gps often tend to be quite ignorant about particularl illnesses, if I'm honest. I had a 2nd x-ray on wednesday though, doubt anything has rang any alarms as have not heard anything since then, but I really don't rate x-ray for lung cancer detection anway. Will probs have to go private for a CT.

• Posted

Its quite unlikely you have lung cancer. You 26 and thats very very rare! I am not quite sure what my continued cough is about I want to find out but too scared also.
    • Posted

it's extremely rare but i have several symptoms that match it. the total loss of hunger is most worrying. is your cough productive or not? i don't cough often but several times a day my throat feels up with sputum and i have to bring it all up.

• Posted

When I stopped smoking 3months ago the cough produced brownish tinged sputum, now its just a dry cough and if I do get phlegm stuck in my throat (which is a daily occurence) its clear.

Have you just got no appetite at all? I suppose that is making you loose weight now also? I have to clear my throat quite often & the feeling of being strangled and cold air sensation in my throat when I breathe in is the thing that bugs me the post its almost debilitating knowing that something is wrong and the GP is not talking me seriously....

When I saw the GP last week, he told me quite matter of factly if a chest xray is clear (even though he admits it can be missed, but rarely), bloods are normal and there is no fatigue or feeling of being just generally unwell the likelihood of having lung cancer is nearly zero however he does not dismiss that things can be missed BUT they have to rule everything else out first. 

I guess if these sprays do not work he will be taking more bloods and sending me for a MRI on my throat or chest - GREAT MORE WORRY!

• Posted

I haven't lost any weight because I have been inactive lately and eat the food that as made for me anyway, without the feeling of hunger. I'll get confirmation of the x-ray next week which I suspect is normal and it would be unusual to have two clear x-rays, but I can't accept it as final as I just don't feel right at all. not saying i definitely have cancer but it warrants the most thorough investgation possible in my opinion

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.