Chiari Malformation Diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 34 years old and I have been having fainting spells and bad migraines since I was a baby. The doctors thought it was epilepsy. At the age of 13 I started my symptoms again fainting bad migraine chest pains. Now I have back pain,neck pain, tingling on my shoulders arms and legs. I get a heavy feeling on my shoulders. My tongue gets tingling, sometimes I choke on water. I get this sick feeling all the time, my stomach hurts daily, I feel weak, night sweats, inability to get enough sleep. I have been to many cardiologist because I have a PFO and I thought it was heart related and I guess it wasn't. My new cardiologist was suspicious about the overall symptoms and referred me to a neurologist. They thought it was seizures and started me on topomax and ordered and MRI with contrast and that's when I got the diagnosis of Chiari Malformation. To be honest I have been so depressed since knowing this I don't want to live in pain I have been trying to find a doctor to finally believe that something was wrong and I did but not what I wanted to hear. I just want to live a normal life without feeling sick. Not sure if I need surgery but with all my symptoms I'm pretty sure I'm going to need it. I have 5 kids and it worries me that I won't be able to care for them. Any advise for a mother who was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would send you this link, but then I would get blocked so I'll just copy and paste: 

31 Problems People With Chiari Malformation Will Understand

Chiari malformation is “a serious neurological disorder where the bottom part of the brain, the cerebellum, descends out of the skull and crowds the spinal cord, putting pressure on both the brain and spine and causing many symptoms,” according to Conquer Chiari. Here are 31 problems people with Chiari malformation will definitely understand:

1. Frequently find yourself wondering if you are a hypochondriac, mentally ill or just “lazy.”

2. Always picked last for team sports. (ALWAYS Happened to me!!)

3. Severe headaches which can last for days (the kind that feels like your skull is trying to give birth to your brain through your neck and/or any other hole in your head).

4. Learning to ride a bike or anything else requiring balance.

5. Being able to sneeze, laugh and/or bend over without getting a headache.

6. The frustration you experience after multiple appointments with multiple doctors who all tell you, “Chiari does not cause pain or any symptoms and is just an incidental finding, not the cause of your symptoms.” 

7. Finding a neurosurgeon or any doctor who specializes in Chiari in or near your home state who is also in your insurance network.

8. Learning how to communicate with doctors so you do not come off as “knowing” more than they do, or appearing to be a drug seeker or hypochondriac.

9. Dealing with mixed up brain signals that make you to turn right when you know you need to turn left.  Thank goodness for GPS!

10. Learning brain decompression surgery for Chiari is not a cure, but you still need to have said surgery in order to prevent permanent nerve damage (without a guarantee surgery will help alleviate any of your current symptoms).

11. An over-sensitive nervous system results in frequent “unpleasant tactile experiences.” For example, needing at least ten napkins (ideally wet ones) to deal with sticky fingers at meal time, the weird squishy feel of cotton the balls in medicine bottles give you shivers up your spine and any accidental contact of teeth with tin foil is enough to put you over the edge.

12. Insensitive people (bosses, educational professionals, family members, coworkers, nurses, doctors).

13. Having to learn about the risk vs. benefits of the bovine patch vs. synthetic patch, wondering what your chances will be of actually getting mad cow disease, and then secretly wondering if you will be prone to unexpected “mooing” and how that will affect your job situation.

14. When you are reading about the symptoms of Chiari and you realize Chiari has “friends” which frequently like to come along to the dysfunctional party that is your body, such as syringomyelia, Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS), dysautonomia, tethered cord syndrome (TCS), congenital scoliosis, Klippel-Feil Syndrome (KFS), Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), to name just a few. Then you wonder to yourself, “Am I just looking for more things to be wrong with me?” And you think to yourself again, “Maybe I really am a hypochondriac?”

15. People who think exercise, nutrition and supplements are the only treatment needed for Chiari.!!!!! (THIS ONE ESPECIALLY ANNOYS ME!!!)

16. Sudden changes in the weather and the realization you now track barometric pressure and weather forecasts in order to plan you pain

medication and activity level for the week.

17. Having “the spins” without the benefit of a few glasses of wine, beer or other adult beverage.

18. The sheer sense panic that comes over you on a major “brain fog day” when your boss decides to ask you a direct question during a meeting and you have no idea what he is talking about. You can barely form a sentence so you pretend to go into a coughing fit in order to save your job.

19. Never having enough paid time off to cover your sick days (bad symptom days), doctor’s appointments, medical procedures and still be able to take a real vacation.

20. Swallowing a drink of water or bite of food without choking on it all of the time.

21. Trying everything from massage therapy, essential oils, reiki energy therapy, electronic tens units, botox injections, nerve blocks and chiropractic adjustments in an attempt to relieve your chronic neck and back pain so you are able to function like a “neurotypical” human being.

22. Sleep apnea (obstructive and central). (BATTLING WITH THIS NOW TOO!)

23. Not being able to decide if it is it a hot compress kind of headache or a cold compress kind of headache, so you grab an ice pack from the freezer and also a heating pad and take both to bed with you in order to minimize any necessary movement and exposure to light until the pain passes.

24. Going from chronic fatigue during the day to insomnia that same night.

25. Perfecting the art of tripping over absolutely nothing and saying to others, “Don’t follow me, because I run into walls!” in a joking manner, but also being dead serious.

26. Sitting for long periods of time which requires you to wear compression stockings and/or secretly perform “toe and foot circles” under the conference room table in a effort to keep your feet from falling to sleep and going completely numb.

27. Having to plan for fun by allowing for “respite time” before and after especially busy days or special events.

28. Having a somewhat desperate and innate need for others to understand, just a little bit, of how having Chiari affects you, your family

and your everyday existence on this planet. Then having the sad realization most people will never “get it” unless they experience it first hand.

29. Going from multiple online support groups to zero because you just can’t handle the sadness and drama that seem to go along with rare and chronic illness discussions. Then rejoining said online support groups, because you miss having people in your life who “understand.”

30. Trying to teach others how to say Chiari.  It’s pronounced “key-AR-ee” everyone!

31. Getting people to realize our brains are just too big for our skulls.

32. Battling with the spelling for the word battling. Because things just don't look right sometimes. 

• Posted

Thanks you for this I don't know whether to cry or laugh at this but it is much appreciated as it fits me to a T. I just called my PC to ask for some meds for my neck pain I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get anything as like he said he's tried everything. Thanks again 😊

• Posted

Hi, Iam sorry for your pain, I had similar problems. Bad headaches, that would not go away. For over a year I suffered and they said it was migraines. I have stroke like symptoms, facial drooping, slurred speech, tingling hands and feet. Finally i was sent to see Dr. Heffez at the chairi clinic in Milwaukee,Wi.  I had my surgery just this last May. I am better, somewhat. I don't have the continuous headaches. But the head and neck pain from the surgery is still a problem. Find someone to help you, There are lots of people to talk to on this site, they are a great source of support, at least they were for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.