Chiari malformation type 1

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone , I was diagnosed with Chiari malformation type 1 2 years ago I'm 36 and attend the queen Elizabeth hospital in Glasgow , I suffer terrible headaches and dizziness the list could go on , I went for fluid pressure monitoring last year not had any decompression surgery yet i go back to see neurologist in June and go for Mri scans . Feel like every time I go I tell them about how I'm feeling and how much pain I'm in they are not listening I and very worried about my condition and just want to know how down one else copes with it everyday and what's there check up plan with neurologist

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi yvonne, it took 7yrs before I was diagnosed and that was by spinal consultant who found it when I had mri scan for my back and neck! I was nearly passing out when I got up on a morning with the pressure in my head. It was the neurosurgeon who recommended decompression surgery. Tell them you can't cope anymore and can anything be done. I think if they think you can cope they won't offer surgery. I was on all sorts of med and had nerve block injections and nothing helped. Hope you get some answers in June. X
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm also in Glasgow! Before I say anything else I must say that my Neurosurgeon plus all the other staff involved in my surgery at the old Southern ( it'll always be the Southern to me!!) Were fantastic.

But............

The first neurologist I saw was appalling. He was an agency neurologist, brought in to clear patient lists at the weekends. I won't ask who you saw, but I will bet it was the same guy. He was beyond unhelpful,patronising, condescending, and made me take to my bed in despair!

I finally got help and was taken seriously when I saw my surgeon privately at Ross Hall Hospital (in desperation!) And he put me on his NHS list for surgery within ten minutes!

Are you able to do that?

• Posted

Hi aw really how do I get on the private care for it ? Did u have to pay to go see him?
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes, it's a private hospital so you need to pay to see him. To be honest, if I could have paid to have my operation privately then I would have but there are no facilities in Glasgow. Or Scotland! There's no way I was going to travel back from New York having just had brain surgery!!

• Posted

....incidentally, I finally had my surgery in December 2015 and am even worse now than before so don't take the option of surgery lightly!!
    • Posted

Oh no how are you worse clare. Must admit my head pain better but get dizzy and nausea and need med most days.
    • Posted

Hi,

Headaches nearly as bad as before, numbness in legs now causing me to fall.........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.