Chicken Pox at 29... what the?!

Posted , 31 users are following.

So it started last weekend. Saturday - I was TIRED.. so very tired, but my mates kept insisting I come out so I did... drank lots, kind of overcame the tiredness. Next day Sunday - , I noticed one spot on my waist. Thought nothing of it until that night I was running a temperature (38.5)...

Monday morning, woke up with about 10 spots in total, on the neck, chest, arms. Suspecting chicken pox I took myself to the GP who said it was likely chicken pox, but hard to tell so soon... well 5 days later, I know for sure its the pox!

I've had a sore throat since Wednesday, and while I didnt experience fever on Tues or Wed, ran a temperature again on Thurs night and this morning at 38.8. I've headaches, sore gums, diarrhea, blocked ears and insomnia... it is absolutely VILE.

Given the repeated fevers, I got a doctor to call in today. He checked my ears and said he suspected some kind of secondary infection and gave me antibiotics. He said not to worry too much about the fever, as it is to be expected afterall.

My face is a mess, I just want this to go away!

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, is there anyone who knows if it is possible to contract chicken pox twice in a lifetime? As a child and in your adult years?
  • Posted

Anonymousaesop,

Unfortunately there's no way of speeding up the recovery of chickenpox. You should notify your school and teachers ASAP and they should make allowances with your studies because this is not something you chose. Everyone's future depends on their health, really and they should be able to understand that and cut you some slack. Hope you're feeling better.

loniese77064,

It's not likely but for what I've reserached online, it IS possible. Apparently you could have it a second time if the first time around you didn't create enough antibodies to fight it later in life. It's not very common but it has happened and there's not much you can do about it.

Also, once you've had chickenpox, the virus is within your system and could come back as shingles when you're older.

• Posted

loniese77064

yes it is possible- I had a fairly mild case of chickenpox when I was 8 and then got it very badly last year (when I was 17)

• Posted

Windpocken,

I am absent now for 1 week And I'd been feeling better now... My chickenpox are starting to blacken but its not crusting yet... I contacted our school and my teachers are willing to have my quizzes when I come back but I'm worried because 1 week from now would be our final term exams.... sad

I dont have any notes to study... but thank you for praying me well... God bless you smile

• Posted

They say that the older you are with chicken pox the worse it is. I had mine when I was about 6 or so. But then I have also heard that you can get them a second time in life as well.
  • Posted

Hi, I know this is an older thread now and I hope you are all feeling better.

Just looking foysome advice.

I am 33 and started developing spots mainly on my tummy and back about 12 days ago.  They did look like little blisters and were a little itchy but nothing too bad, had about 20 in total mostly on lower abdomen one or two on shoulders and back.

I went to the doctors because I had just come back from China and wanted to make sure it was nothing to worry about, I was really really tired and had a sore throat and a cough and cold.  The spots had been there about 4-5 days by this point and had started to dry up and fade.  Not scab.

Doc said probably had chickenpox and to take paracetamol and that was it.  Wasn't contagious anymore as spots were going.

That was Thursday.  By the same time following week (last week) I was spot free but still felt rubbish with same sore throat and cough and cold, back ache and just generally feeling grumpy.  Then on Sunday, I woke up with hundreds of the spots all over my tummy, top of legs, bottom, back and underarms.  Little blisters again.  Itching.

went to the docs on Monday and he said Chickenpox.  He was insistent but I didn't think spots came and went like this with chickenpox?

I put calamine lotion on last night before bed and this morning the spots look LOADS better, much smaller and less blister like which also makes me think its not chickenpox.

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks 

• Posted

CHICKEN POX .......

3RD DAY

Satureday: I went to college ......some fever third time in a month ..... enjoyed some party (0.5 L cold drink) Fever Increased.... Returned to home and slept.

Sunday: Went to Doctor ..... Blood Test ..... Malaria......Injection ........ Fever.... fever

Monday: Noticed a Spot ... thought it might be reaction of Injection.... Went to doctor .... another injection for malaria ....... Fever very much gone.

Tuesday :Many Spots on the neck .....told doctor ..... He said it's ok ..... one more Antimalerial Injection Very difficult night because they affected the scortum .

Wednesday(today) : Many spots on the face ..... Difficult Day still scortum affected they are still appearing .... Now it is 8:12 PM ...... I just want a Suicide ..... There is no any treatment for chicken pox...... I am feeling pain ........ I am 16 years 354 days ......

• Posted

Age 25

First day!

Head splitting headaches, chills, fevers started three days back and the blisters appeared today. Scalp is worst its hurting so bad!!!!!! Hw did u survive?

• Posted

I survived After the 3rd day of Chicken pox .....No Pain ....... Then After two more days they started recovering ..... After 3 more days (10th day of CPox)

I removed (Scratched,Took the risk) the black Blisters from face ....now I am living good life but Still Light spots can be seen on my face ......There is now 1 blister (Black) still on my skin .....But For me Pain was for only two days

See doctor to confirm that it is really Chicken pox or something else .

AVOID SITTING NEAR OTHERS ...it spreads fast

Sunlight Hurts

Do not scratch Blisters .....

SPEND NEXT 7 DAYS LIKE YOU ARE NOT LIVING IN THIS WORLD

I CANNOT FORGET CHICKEN POX ... NEVER EVER .... THE WORST DAYS OF Life

Sleep In moderate Temperature

I remember ...I slept Without switching on fan (bcoz it was winter) And I Woke up at midnight With too much sweat over my body and feeling too hot

CPOX REQUIRES PATIENCE

• Posted

Hi...I'm a 23 year old.

Suffered with extreme headaches and an unusual eye socket discomfort and pain for a little over a week.

Wednesday woke up with a back pain and excruciating in my eyes...with about 5 red watery patches on my tummy and my waste. I didn't read much into this because I'm artist used to having skin rashes. By evening I've developed more of these patches on my tummy and upper waist...and they are very itchy at this point.

Evening comes and I'm shivering as though locked inside a refrigerator...had to go to bed early with 2 hot water bottles.

Thursday morning I wake up and my entire back, stomach, my thighs, my scalp and my forehead is covered in bumps and itchy blisters.

I went to see the doctor while the blisters are increasing.

It's 03:58am on Friday morning and I haven't slept a wink because my whole body and scalp are itching and on fire.

By the way; I got an infection from the doctor (didn't bother to ask what it contained, just wanted to get healed), a bottle of calamine, and an oral suspension as the pox has also appeared in my mouth.

I've been applying the calamine but the blisters are still so itchy that I can't even sleep.

This is by far the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

#teary_eyes

If only I could be able to ignore the itch and be able to sleep...the rest I'll deal with in the morning.

Did I even mention the hard and sore patches on my hairline and my lips?...so sad 😢

• Posted

Meant an injection from the doctor...not infection. Sorry.
  • Posted

Hello everybody!

This dicussion has really been helpful as I am undergoing the same trauma right now.

I got this infection from someone in examination room. First symptom was sore throat alongwith slight stomachache n severe pain in legs during night. It continued for 2-3 days n them I saw a small vesicle on my hand. Thought its because of heat and went off to parlour to get wax n bleach done as I was supposed to meet my in-laws in 2 days.

When can back saw few more vesicles. N somehow got a feeling that its cp. Met doc n guess what.. it was cp. Out all started on Sun.. N today it's my 4th day.. no symptoms as such except sore throat and headache.. It's pace has increased n body is getting covered with these red spots filled with water. I hope it maximises by tomorrow n i get relief after that.

From today I got scratchy feeling as well. Hope to sail through the remaining days

• Posted

I recently got infected, and this is my 6th day on facing chickenpox. It is absolute hell. For the first to third day, I got some vesicles on my torso, back, and neck, but nothing too severe. I thought things couldn't have gone worse, but apparently I was wrong. During the fourth day, more vesicles - giant ones - started sprouting on my stomach, and they itched like hell. Not to mention I had fever to compliment the pain. Then the fifth day arrived and the number of vesicles multiplied, though the fever had disappeared. That time my face had fallen as another chickenpox's victim. During the night, I wanted to sleep so bad but I couldn't. The itching was so unbearable. I applied lotions and took bath to relieve it, and it was only effective for a short amount of time. I was kept awake for the rest of the night.

The sixth day, it still itches like hell. I applied lots of acyclovir cream to the vesicles, hoping that it'll dry fast. My throat is sore - and I have a suspicion that another vesicle is present in it - and I just want this to be over.

This is absolute hell.

+ I drink acyclovir tablets (6-8 tablets/day) and Isprinol tablets (from day 1-4 until I lost faith in it), apply acyclovir cream and a local itching reliever medication (I tried to convince my mom to use Calamine but meh).

• Posted

20 yo here. Must be at least six days since the cp started appearing; I dismissed it as just acne breakout at first, as the first ones are on my face and neck. Body still hurting all over, and I took one look at the mirror and immediately cried. Only got at the most 4 hours of sleep every night. No appetite so I just drink a lot of water and sweet tea. Bathing and applying acyclovir cream, both requiring me to touch the cp, are a special kind of torture that I just unironically want to die. Been taking acyclovir tablet 400 mg 5 times/day, multivitamin, and the aforementioned acyclovir cream.

I have a question; is it possible for the cp on your back to pop due to friction (instead of, like, on its own accord) when you lie on your back and move around because of how painful it is? Because I know it's bad to pick at it, and what if I had been 'picking' at it unintentionally when I lie down? Also if you have recovered from the cp, how is it going for you? Any scar remains?

Thanks and hope you're doing well.

• Posted

sooooo... a coworker had the shingles, and I had a "lucky" childhood and an anti-vaxxer mom.

One week post exposure: I had a cold, nothing major, very mild, a sore throat.

Two weeks post exposure, Day 1 (Wednesday): Cold is gone, but throat is still a little sore. In touching my neck early in the morning I noticed a small blister-like bump that burst upon touching it, and then I find another one, on my back. In the evening I notice a bump on my temple, but this one looks like a pimple so I think it's a pimple and it hurts like a pimple, and so I pick at it of course *rolls eyes* and nothing really happens, a little bit of liquid comes out but nothing pimple like. 

Day 2 (Thursday): I wake up and go to the mirror, and there are red spots (nothing raised, or blistered,) on my face like three of them. I think it's a horrible break out and continue with my day. Around nine o'clock I look in the mirror again and there are more red spots on my face! I pull up my shirt and there are like seven on my torso and maybe five on my back. So I rush to the doctor. I report spots, illness last week and no itching whatsoever, he says "possibly chicken pox" but he's young, he's never seen it in person. Another doctor comes in and says "definitely not chicken pox" and I am sent on my way with orders for a blood test just to be sure.

Day 3 (Friday): All of the spots on my face have turned into blisters and I am devastated. So depressed. My throat still hurts. The first spot on my face has scabbed, but I picked at it so much that it's swollen and red, probably infected; this is accompanied by ridiculous ear pain. But other than that I'm okay, a blister on my eyelid hurts because it keeps being rubbed so I use calamine on it. I'm putting concealer on the blisters because I'm so depressed by the way I look.

Day 4 (Saturday): By far the worst day. I can barely swallow my throat aches, it's not even sore, it just hurts. Blisters all over my face and torso now. I took a shower in the morning and I was crying because I was in so much pain. My skin just ached all over. Still no itching. 

Day 5 (Sunday): Woke up feeling so much better. I woke up with four or five scabs on my face. Hopefully they fall off soon. My throat doesn't really hurt anymore. Still some blisters, most are in the "ulcer" stage now.

Day 6 (Monday): Feel 100% better but I'm still waiting on test results and still scabby. Will update smile

• Posted

So update, I got the test results back and they were negative?!?! and they can't tell  me what I had!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.