Cholecystectomy, titanium clips

Posted , 6 users are following.

Are the clips that are used during an Cholecystectomy (keyhole surgery) left in does anyone know? sad

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

House,

What did they use for your OP? did they use the ligature?

• Posted

Some old elastic bands they had lying around :D :[ But seriously I dunno, I guess so :[
  • Posted

As you don't seem to be quite sure :D about it all, I would think that you do indeed have those clips in place, it depends when you had it done, was it recently? Did they actually inform you that you don't have titanium clips in place? cheesygrin
  • Posted

2008. I've had an Ultrasound and there's definitely no clips, I've had CT Scans and MRI and they've not moaned that metal has been ruining the results smile
  • Posted

I mean ruining the results of the MRI,, I had MRCP only a couple of months ago smile
  • Posted

Here is something I found on yahoo answers that may be of interest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium is not ferromagnetic. The clips on your gall bladder shouldn't be a problem. The MRI facility may want documents proving that the clips you have are titanium though. Rules vary from facility to facility.

Even though titanium is not ferromagnetic, a large piece of it (for example, an artificial joint) can have potential problems in an MRI. Any piece of metal, regardless of whether it is ferromagnetic can have electrical currents induced in it by the MRI's magnetic field. The metal can potentially get very hot and cause burn injuries. Again, your tiny clips should not be a problem.

• Posted

Haha that explains why I could smell liver and onions being cooked :D :[ But no I haven't got any smile
  • Posted

Yeah but if your problems persist that's what you should ask for, MRCP (Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography), they can look in detail at all your ducts and stuff even where they duck inside the Liver and Pancreas and all that smile
  • Posted

By gall bladder apparently had a thick hardened wall, with multiple gall stones, my doctor said that it was also inflamed, so it needed to come out.

They also checked the main duct for stones during the op.

The pain I still get occasionally though is around the right hand side shoulder blade area, blade not shoulder itself, my doctor thought perhaps it was muscular/skeletal, but personally I don't think so, and I am thinking of making an appointment with him again to discuss about the need for more tests.

The burning pain often moves across to the left side although it's mainly on the right.

Apart from taking a tramadol if I lie down on my left side the pain normally starts to go.

• Posted

My gallbladder that should have read.

Should I be demanding a MRCP, and should it be my doctor I should be asking about this, or should I be asking him to send me back to the gastro consultant?

• Posted

OK, re the use of metal clips and flying. I had my lapro GB removal on 6th march. On 7th April I took a 2.5 hr flight and returned on 14th.

Nothing beeped at security.

However, the seatbelt was extremely tight (budget airline) and I have been left feeling quite sore and bruised. This is annoying as before the flights I felt 100% OK and had no problems. Now, the skin and area between the top scar and the bellybutton is a little tender to the touch as is the area where the GB used to be.

I have my surgeon follow up next weeo so wil be asking him if all is OK.

Lx

• Posted

If you want your concerns throughly laid to rest then you could talk to your GP / Gastroenterologist about the possibility smile Didn't you say you take Beta Blockers for Heart issues ??? Could these shoulder pains be related, could it be that they're Angina ??? smile
  • Posted

Is angina not felt in the frontal chest area?

• Posted

Yeah Angina in the chest area causes a 'dry heartburn' feeling that ripples up the Esophagus into the Throat / Neck but yes you can feel it in the Shoulders and Arms smile I even get it in my teeth (flipping hurts that does) evil
  • Posted

By what you say I don't think that is what I have thankfully. 8)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.