Chostochondritis or something else?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Costo about 3 weeks ago, but I'm not sure that's what it is because I'm not in a lot of pain. I have had a tender spot under my breast that isn't there anymore but not its a little tender spot in more of my sternum I also have pressure under my left breast that feels like it's pressure on my heart. I have had 3-4 ekgs in the matter of 4 months my last one was about 3 weeks ago along with a chest X-ray and blood work. The doctors always say my heart looks really good, but I'm worried that they are missing something. I also have anxiety and acid reflux idk if that has anything to do with this but any advice or if anyone has felt this same way before it would be really helpful.

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello! So last night my chest pains seemed to be worse than they have been, they ranged from sharp to dull and pain in my ribs as well. I would push on my ribs and my chest and it did make it worse, but the chest pain came and went all night. I still have a lot of discomfort under my left breast somewhat into my sternum (if that makes sense) it just feels full like there's pressure under there and sometimes like a squeezing feeling. I couldn't get into a comfortable spot even laying on my back didn't help.

Anyway, my question is, are these still symptoms of Costo or is this something I should get checked where the chest pain seemed to be worse than its been before?

• Posted

Hi Shayla,

I too have those symptoms at times. But I would definitely go to my Dr. just to double check.  Are you taking any pain meds?

• Posted

Yes I am taking indomethasin (idk if that's spelled correctly) for inflammation and those pains wee before I took the pill. Have u also had really intense stomach pains as well?

• Posted

No I havent had bad stomach pains. I've never heard of that medicine. is it helping?

• Posted

Yeah it seems to be. I still get pains throughout the day, but if feel like the pain is getting worse than it has been so maybe it's just getting worse and I need a stronger medicine? It's starting to get painful on my left side to stretch and breathe in deep, I'm getting pack, rib, and stomach pain. Idk for sure if that is from this so its kinda scary!

• Posted

I'm glad your medicine is helping. I am now taking Amitryptiline and bedtime. It helps me fall asleep and helps pain tremendously. I still take the Neurontin during the day. I know this condition can be a bit scary at first. And sometimes you will go for long periods of time with no pain...I PROMISE YOU!!!  But everytime I  get a new pain I go to my Dr.. It never hurts to make sure everythings normal and ok. I've learned to not get totally stressed out when the pain comes, but if new symptoms arise I always go to my Dr.

Please let me know how youre doing!  smile smile smile  We will get through this!

• Posted

Yes! One way or another well make it through! smile last night I went back to the ER because of the pain/ discomfort I've been feeling. Ekg and blood test were all good. the doctor changed my indomethasin to another anti inflammatory because the indomethasin is rough on the stomach apparently and I've been getting some stomach pain so we're gonna try that, but I still have so much discomfort under my left breast and behind it. It still just feels like there's air in there like pressure or something kinda hard to explain lol but I also get pains in my left ribs. Certain areas in ribs and chest hurt to push on so I'm really just praying that this is for sure costochondritis and these new meds will get rid of it! 🙏🏼

• Posted

I can't believe how similar our symptoms are! I caught a pretty bad respiratory infection so I've been coughing like crazy.... now my chest pain is worse than ever. Sometimes it feels like something is drilling into different spots in my chest, other times it's back pain. I find myself constantly thinking it's my heart. Aaaah it's getting quite depressing! Just so we can identify a bit more, how old are you? I'm a 34 year old mother of 4 young boys. Currently I'm overweight and hoping by to change that but exercise makes whatever it is, worse! So frustrating! I hate waiting

• Posted

By the way, what medication are you on now? I've only tried naproxen but it's hard on my stomach too! Wouldn't mind trying something else

• Posted

It's still super hard for me, even tho my ekgs come back good each time to not think it's my heart! I am 24 and I'm about 130 lbs so I'm not super over weight but for my height which I'm about 5'2 does put me a little bit overweight but nothing too bad! So for my meds I am taking omeperzol for acid reflux and have been taking indomethasin for the inflammation but the doc in the ER is changing my inflammatory meds to naprosyn, so I really hope that helps! I also have thyroid disease, I was born without a working thyroid and have been on levothyroxin my whole life and after have my last baby it just threw my thyroid completely off and it's been 5 months and we're still trying to get me back on the right dose so in wondering if that is causing any of my issues as well! I have had a lot of back pain as well and chest pain that ranges from dull to sharp but I notice it more in my sternum and on the left side and today I noticed that the pain went under my chin... That was new! My left arm gets really tingling sometimes and I'll wake up and it'll just be dead like I can't move it! Ugh I'm too young for this haha

• Posted

I'm thinking that's the same med I have.... are you supposed to take the naprosyn every day, twice a day? That's my instructions but I'm concerned about taking it daily, what it will do to my stomach, as apparently I have reflux and gastritis too. I also take a ppi, tecta.... don't know why because it doesn't help anything. I think the docs are just grasping at straws and it's frustrating!

Probably what freaks me out the most is that I can just be sitting on the couch or in the van and not moving, and I will just randomly get about of sharp or dull or aching chest pain.... like if it's really costo, shouldn't it just be painful with movement? Is it normal to hurt while doing nothing??? It's so confusing!

Also, I am 5ft4", and I weigh 180, so significantly over weight at the moment. This is much larger than I'm used to but I just haven't been able to get my weight down since the twins just over a year ago! I don't know but I feel angry at myself because I think what if it's my weight?? Other than that I can't think i anything else I could be doing wrong!!! It's really so bad living like this.... I can be having a great day and then bam, chest pain, then I get nervous, then more chest pain and the more anxious I get, so I take pills, then I feel spacey and not present..... I hate taking anxiety mess but sometimes I just have to, to calm down. None of this is me and I hate it.... I miss the old me and feel like my body is failing me. Like you, I feel way too young for this

• Posted

Yes one, twice a day and they gave me a total of 14! I'm pretty nervous about it now 😬 My stomach is seriously so sore and hurts to touch it and lay uncertain positions. I really just wish I didn't have to take any of it anymore! And I'm wondering if the omeperzol and the inflammatory together is part of why my stomach is hurting. I never had this issue when I was on just the omeperzol! Omg yes! That's me too all the time. I'll just be sitting here and I get chest pain sometimes feel like I can't even breathe and I can never get in a comfortable position because of the discomfort right below my left breast I'm always like holding that area because for some reason it makes it easier to deal with! I have heard with acid reflux that losing weight helps with that!? Not for sure on that tho! I'm supposed to take lorazepam for my anxiety but I am just taking so many pills that I don't want anything else in my body! I think the anxiety makes mine worse too! I agree with missing the old me! I can't do things I used to, my house is falling apart because I can hardly clean without getting dizzy or getting worse chest pain/discomfort... I'm always depressed and I can hardly eat anything because of the acid reflux I assume and that's actually what's caused me to lose weight...

• Posted

Hey guys! Last night I had some pretty sharp chest pain all night long. Moving made it worse and I just felt like I couldn't breathe. I still feel like I can't breathe very well. Around my ribs just feels kind of tight and I have chest discomfort. When I stand up my heart rate goes into the 120's and I feel somewhat lightheaded. I get these storage "bubble" feelings in my ribs, almost like something is digesting or something... Hard to explain but it freaks me out and has me thinking I have a blood clot or something. I get a strange feeling in my throat like if I take a deep breath it makes me feel like I have to cough but I don't really cough much. And just feels like something is stuck in my throat is the best way I can describe it. Is this Costo or maybe the acid reflux? I don't know what to do anymore and I'm so tired of going to the doctor and them telling me I'm fine and it being a waste basically. All of these symptoms get me so worried that something serious is wrong with me 😓

• Posted

Hi Shayla...OMG  I am experiencing the same thing as well. So sorry you are dealing with this. I ended up in ER several times.  My heart rate soars to 130, even 150. I just went to a cardiologist and have to go for a nuclear stress test. And have an endoscopy as well. I have had all normal ekgs, except one. and a normal echocardiogram. But still have those bubbles under my breasts as well. If I walk too much when I'm in pain Im winded and bp goes up. I'm  sure my tests will be ok. But better safe than sorry. This Costro really sux big time.  I take Neurontin which helps some of the pain, and the heating pad helps a bit too. But I feel like I'm an old lady that cant exercise. Its a very frustrating condition. Just knowing that you have the same symptoms just leads me to believe its all from the Costro. I already take nexium Do you? Have you ever had acid reflux?

• Posted

What was wrong with that one ekg? I'm not taking anything right now for the pain, I was taking indomethasin, and I do have acid reflux but I ran out of my omeperzol Monday and don't have anymore refills on it. I'm wondering if I need to get back on it. The burning in my throat doesn't really happen anymore and I don't have as much regurgitation as I did before taking omeperzol.

My doc is finally sending me to a cardiologist she said mainly for reassurance!

Do you ever feel like chewin food and swallowing makes it harder to breathe?

It sucks for sure! How can this come from Costo? 😞 It's so scary! Now I feel like something is squeezing my heart! I'm so worried my brain isn't getting enough oxygen too! I get weird pulsating feelings in my head and I've had a head mri and that was fine so idk what it could be and that's what makes me feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen!

I'm losing my mind!! 😕

• Posted

The one had a high pulse rate. You probably should ask your dr about going back on meds for acid reflux. I find it difficult at times to swallow. Thats why im going for an endoscopy. Just to rule out anything.Youre not losing your mind. You should try to relax. take a bath. have some camomile tea. My dr said anxiety adds to Costro pain. If your MRI was normal then you have nothing to worry about with your brain. We are all going to get through this!!! I promise.
    • Posted

I think I'm going to! Do you ever have chest pain or discomfort that last pretty much the whole day? That's how I've been these last couple days! And I always find myself holding my chest for comfort! Just trying to pick up some stuff around the house gets my heart rate up and I get dizzy and feel short of breath 😕

We all better get through this 😊

• Posted

Hi Shayla,

Yes I have the same exact symptoms. Been having burning in my chest for a while now. Laying down with a heating pad does help a bit. Im on beta blockers too now. They helped my BP but not racing heart rate. Im glad Im going for nuclear stress test on Monday. I need peace of mind, plus if they find anything ill be right there in the hospital. How are you feeling today?

• Posted

Definitely let me know how that goes! I'm feeling crappy! I just don't understand why it hurts under my left breast to take a deep breath but if I push on it and take a deep breath it seems easier! I have been having stomach pain since yesterday mainly on the left side. I have been constipated for like 4 days... Sorry tmi... Idk if that's it but it's also that time of month for me and the bleeding had been super heavy and I get pain in my pelvic area on the left as well.... Do you know if a blood clot can be caused from ur period? I'm scared I have this massive blood clot and that's why I'm having abdominal pain?

• Posted

Hi Shayla. I have been following your posts, we have a lot of the same symptoms. Costo is such an unknown diagnosis filled with so many symptoms. The concerning aspect for all of us i believe is how costo affects the area that’s so close to other vital organs. I read other comments about concerns about the heart, cancer, etc

I was diagnosed with costo one week ago and I am a rollercoaster of symptoms. My biggest fear is cancer in one of my abdominal organs. My costo symptoms are  so low right below my rib cage. Two doctors saw me and both think i have costo. The head GI Doctor of a great hospital saw me and did a long physical assessment and he is certain I have costo and that it’s not GI related. He even said that CT scan, MRI are not needed bc my symptoms are not consistent to ask for those test. 

He prescribed an anti-inflammatory and asked me to go back in two weeks for an ultrasound of the area if the symptoms don’t resolve.

I am terrified that i have some type of cancer, I dont have pain, just a poking sensation with a sharp cramp that comes and goes throughout the day. I do feel a burning sensation on my left upper back that comes and goes. My symptoms aren’t on my chest all the time, they are in the middle left abdominal wall, towards the middle left. Ahhh, so frustrating to be feeling this way. I did a full set of labs three months ago and they were perfect.

How are you doing? Have your symptoms improved? This diagnosis is sucking my joy away 😔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.