Chronic Allergic reaction to Hip Implant

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All,

I had a hip replacement just over 6 months ago. I have had a constant severe systemic reaction to Titanium, Nickel & the glue used to close the incision, called "Dermabond Prineo."

In discussion prior to surgery, I informed my surgeon I was allergic to most metals and as such, did not wear much jewelry. . He assured me over and over that the implant was, "hypo allergenic," and that no allergy testing is necessary before the procedure.

Five weeks after the surgery, a rash in the area of the incision appeared - The Doctors assumed it was "shingles." (they claimed its common after a stressful op)

A few days later the rash spread to other areas of the body, along with unbearable pain, burning, itchiness and general discomfort. The doctors ruled out Shingles and pumped me with high doses of Prednisone and Percocet .

POST Op and on my own accord, I have been tested for metal allergies at "National Jewish Hospital" in Denver Colorado, with positive results for "allergies to Titanium, Nickel and Dermobond Prineo.

(Pri Op and Post, - the surgeon assured me the implant was "ONLY TITANIUM" 100%)

I have spent 24/7 trying to communicate with the medical personnel involved. No one has offered any solution, they prefer ignoring. I am suffering greatly and have communicated this.

(Only here, in this forum, did I discover one other person in the entire country, with a Titanium allergy.)

My skin, is cracked and damaged, hives cover my body and swelling of the upper dermis, I live in a constant state of pain and find it very hard to walk.

I recently met with my surgeon for follow up.

He said there was no other implant for me and either live like I am now or have the implant removed and reside to a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

A simple metal allergy testing could have prevented all my suffering and devastating, life changing, permanent, outcome. This should be a red flag as to the rules and regulations performed before this type of surgery.

btw - one leg is almost an inch longer than the other

• my surgeon claims "they have ceased using "Dermabond Prineo" at the facility where I had my surgery.
  • imageimageimage

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Natalie,

So sorry you have had such an awful outcome of an operation that should have improved your life. Do they not do ceramic hip replacements at the hospital that you went to.

• Posted

The hip is Titanium and the ball is ceramic. The surgeon that performed the surgery said that there isn't a full hip made out of ceramic. Other surgeons have told me the same thing.

Basically telling me that they are not able to help me. If anybody has any information about any alternative I would be very interested to know. The thought of spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair because of an allergic reaction (something that could have easily been diagnosed prior to surgery) is mind boggling.

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

I was having a quick look on the internet at different materials use for hip replacements.

Ceramic-on-Polyethylene: The ball is made of ceramic and the socket is made of plastic (polyethylene) or has a plastic lining.

Ceramic-on-Ceramic: The ball is made of ceramic and the socket has a ceramic lining.

It does seem possible to have one without metal.

• Posted

Hi Natalie I'm sorry to hear about your problems with reactions to metals etc. I've had a horrible long journey with a hip made with mixed metals Titanium and cobalt chromium . Ultimately it led to massive pseudotumours and total loss of muscles . In the UK there is the the London Implant Retrieval unit that identifies problems with implants and post their findings. I believe there are ones made with Carbon fiber but possibly with some metal components I have found that it was necessary to do a lot of my own research. It is amazing to discover that these implants do not have prior testing before they come to market . Good luck with everything Patsy

• Posted

Patsy,

I think these implants are probably tested in a few people, depending on how many react, they figure it is a small percentage and worth using them.

• Posted

Hi Patsy,

I'm so sorry to hear that you have also had such a terrible experience and hope you are feeling better by now 😃

I looked up the London Implant Retrieval Unit and I have just sent them an email. Thank you so much for that bit of information... I hope they will be able to help me.

I am also having to do my own research... as there are no doctors that I have come across here in the USA that are even willing to see me. The surgeon that performed the surgery is still insisting that I am not allergic to Titanium, even though all allergy testings show that I am. He says that the test I did is on the skin and having subdermal testing would be necessary. When asking him to do subdermal testing he says he cannot do that and that he doesn't know of anyone that can.

It is a very difficult and unexpected outcome.

I hope you are doing well.

All the best to you.

Natalie

• Posted

I suppose that normally people are not allergic to titanium so your doctor does not want to believe it. However there is a small majority who are and he should be aware of that.

• Posted

That is so true. What is unfortunate is that I asked him over and over again if somebody could possibly be allergic to Titanium and he said that it is hypoallergenic and is designed especially for people who suffer from metal allergies.

My advice to anybody doing hip replacement surgery... is to be tested before.

Such a simple test that can help eliminate any serious complication.

• Posted

I must admit I give up with a lot of doctors, they are right and the rest of us don't know what we are talking about!

• Posted

Hi Natalie Was just wondering if you've been checked for infection. I certainly hope that it isn't. Have a look on line at the equivalence rule for hip prosthesis. The FDA does not require hip implants to be tested in clinical trials before they are sold in the US instead companies making new hip implants need to prove they are substantially equivalent to others on the market. Its the same in the UK and europe. I did a lot of research after hearing a radio4 programme on the BBC. This rule had been in place for a long time and the process has become a bit like Chinese whispers where one is equivalent to another and so on . Ultimately there has been loss of control over the manufacture of implants. Only in fairly recent times has there been a reporting system in place . I could give lots of other information from the London Retrieval central However its too late for me, I' m very disabled now and in constant severe pain following 13 surgeries on my hip. I really wish you well and hope that your allergy eventually calms down. With best wishes Patsy x

• Posted

Oh my goodness... Patsy, I am so sorry you had to go through all of that and are still living it 😦

It sounds horrific. It's amazing how these companies get away with these things. How does the FDA approve or allow for these things to happen?

Unfortunately, in my case, allergies to metals never go away and your body cannot get used to it.

I was checked for infections and different diseases but nothing came up.

I wonder if there is any information about Titanium allergies to a hip implant from the London Retrieval central. I would love to find out what other people that have a Titanium allergy to their hip implant did.

I cannot find any articles regarding metal allergies on their website. If you have any information as to where I could search for more information I would highly appreciate it if you could share that information with me. Thanks so much for all your input I really appreciate it 😃

• Posted

Natalie - in case you don't see it, I sent you a private message with a lot of information.

• Posted

natalie,

Head over to bonesmart.org (hip replacement recovery forum) and post your story. Tag josephine (use the "@" followed by her name, just like twitter of facebook)... she is a former nurse who spent the bilk of her career assisting surgeon's with hip replacements. She may be able to recommend an expert in this area, or even a course of action.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.