Chronic Allergic reaction to Hip Implant

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All,

I had a hip replacement just over 6 months ago. I have had a constant severe systemic reaction to Titanium, Nickel & the glue used to close the incision, called "Dermabond Prineo."

In discussion prior to surgery, I informed my surgeon I was allergic to most metals and as such, did not wear much jewelry. . He assured me over and over that the implant was, "hypo allergenic," and that no allergy testing is necessary before the procedure.

Five weeks after the surgery, a rash in the area of the incision appeared - The Doctors assumed it was "shingles." (they claimed its common after a stressful op)

A few days later the rash spread to other areas of the body, along with unbearable pain, burning, itchiness and general discomfort. The doctors ruled out Shingles and pumped me with high doses of Prednisone and Percocet .

POST Op and on my own accord, I have been tested for metal allergies at "National Jewish Hospital" in Denver Colorado, with positive results for "allergies to Titanium, Nickel and Dermobond Prineo.

(Pri Op and Post, - the surgeon assured me the implant was "ONLY TITANIUM" 100%)

I have spent 24/7 trying to communicate with the medical personnel involved. No one has offered any solution, they prefer ignoring. I am suffering greatly and have communicated this.

(Only here, in this forum, did I discover one other person in the entire country, with a Titanium allergy.)

My skin, is cracked and damaged, hives cover my body and swelling of the upper dermis, I live in a constant state of pain and find it very hard to walk.

I recently met with my surgeon for follow up.

He said there was no other implant for me and either live like I am now or have the implant removed and reside to a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

A simple metal allergy testing could have prevented all my suffering and devastating, life changing, permanent, outcome. This should be a red flag as to the rules and regulations performed before this type of surgery.

btw - one leg is almost an inch longer than the other

• my surgeon claims "they have ceased using "Dermabond Prineo" at the facility where I had my surgery.
  • imageimageimage

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello Natalie,

my name is Jerry and I have the exact same symptoms that you have but mine is knee surgery I'm curious to find out if time has improved your situation with this reactions.

I had major surgery to repair knee and foot 6 months ago symptom didn't show up to a few weeks ago when they went back in to remove some Hardware they use the old incision wounds pattern.

now symptom showed up

• Posted

hello Natalie,

my name is Jerry I recently have had knee and foot surgery and now I have the exact same symptoms as you have.

It happened six months ago I have exterm long incisions on both sides of my leg from the knee down and around my foot.

5 months have passed and the symptom did not show up so maybe not allergic to the metal they used metal Staples to close wound no glue.

Just a few weeks ago they follow the same incisions to go back in and remove titanium Hardware and then these symptoms showed up this time they used glue and regular stiches.

looks exactly like the pictures you posted I'm very curious to find if time has improved your condition wish you well

• Posted

So sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time. I hope there is some kind of solution for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.