Chronic Anal Fissures

Posted , 23 users are following.

Help! Someone keep me going and help me cope with this. One day I think it is healing, the next, the excruciating pain is back after going to the loo and I just can't cope with it. I haven't been off work yet, but dread getting up in the mornings, can't tell anyone, but when you have a deadline to get to work, the last thing I need is wanting the loo on the way out of the door. So, I get up earlier to try to cope with that, result is that I end up in agony all the way to work anyway. I am convinced I have cancer and becoming more and more distressed - GP says fissure which is obviously evident and I guess would have taken some blood tests maybe if suspicious. I don't know but am virtually at the end of my tether on this and with the pain and becoming very depressed and anxious and almost unable to do my job. Shopping, driving any social activity is becoming impossible except. I am taking stool softenders and GTN prescribed for 5 days now with absolutely no difference. I will continue with it, have to go back to the GP in 8 days, but in all honesty, hold out no hope. This is just awful.

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, sorry to hear you are struggling so much.

i would give the GTN some more time. If you haven't improved enough by the time you go back to your GP ask to be referred to a colorectal consultant at your local hospital. They are the best at dealing with these things.

drink plenty of water to help the stool softeners do their job. Take pain killers before a bm... It helps to take the edge off.

all the best

• Posted

I agree with Ojh3, do what they say.  However, have you considered a sphincterotomy?  I had one last year after sufffering with a fissure for 22+ years.

BEST decision I ever made, I was at my wits end and ready to throw in the towel.  Honestly!  Please let us know how you are doing?

• Posted

Thanks. Im just very low today. I've been in so much pain all day I'm at my wits end. This is horrendous. I just want to go home and hide and being at work is so hard. Can't tell anyone and just want to cry. Will keep up the rectogesic. Hoped it would work. Its the after pain which gives the worst pain.

• Posted

Having to work through this pain can be sor awful.  And when you can't tell anyone that you work with, it's a huge secret and it makes it that much worse! I can relate with you there.  I hope you also have some pills you can take to ease the pain?
    • Posted

Thankd  yes ive just taken painkillers and stood up.  Bliss.  I was painfree yesterday but didn't go to the loo.  Awful subject which makes it so difficult to talk about.  support appreciated!
    • Posted

I hope you are doing ok today.  I have been thinking about you since yesterday morning. 
    • Posted

That's kind, thank you. I had a pain free day yesterday - for probably obvious reasons. I'm finding it very difficult to cope with and just really scared to be honest, but soldiering on. Back at the GP next Wednesday for checks to see how it's doing. Thanks for your thoughts Jennifer, helps to know someone out there has had the same thing.
    • Posted

Hi how r u doing now? R u still taking any stool softners pls rep
  • Posted

susan ive just had surgery for this back in april 2014 i to had the same pain n couldnt walk properly it affected my sleep i couldnt sit it was just a constant ache n shooting pains i had .i was admitted into hospital and was examined and was told there was no abscess there but i was probably constipated i wasnt happy in wat i was told and i was refered to a colorectal surgion who examined me and yes they found the lump just insdie my bum i  was scared to go to the loo im also on lactaloze and GTN ointment .the only thing is i think the ointment is for use inside the bowel for a fissure in ano not a fistual in ano as they call it i had surgery on a fistula in ano(abscess) had a nurse come out daily to pack it i had a appointment to see my colorectal surgion again and after i told him i coould still feel it he said it was a fissure in ano were the abscess hadnt healed properly so was perscribed GTN to put in to heal it so i dont think the GTN ointment will do anything for you until you have seen a surgion but dont worry to much fingers crossed you will be fine try not to worry to much .if the pain starts to become unbarable i used a cold flannel laid inbetween my bum cheeck to ease the pain .  
  • Posted

I went to a very well respected, very informed surgeon.  She was recommended to me by my doctor, and I had done research on her and the procedure as well.  I had 3 other things done internally, not just the sphincterotomy.  It was painful for about 7-10 days, and now I would never know I had anything done.  I do get slight pain with loose stools, but they told me that would be expected.  However, the pain now lasts 10 minutes versus 48 hours.  Again, sorry for your troubles but I myself had a great surgeon, and would recommend this surgery to anyone. Again, after suffering for 22 years, I know how awful the pain can be.  I hope you feel better and soon! Hugs to you!!
  • Posted

susan if your in that much pain hunny go to your local walk in centre and get seen to straight away . dunt be ashamed of what u have i thought i was the only 1 with this kinds of illness until i found this forum . help is there if you need it pleased dont suffer alone . i was scared aswell as i was off work 6 months and ive only just gone back in july and i felt ashamed telling my manager about my illness and they are very understanding . talk to a female boss/colleage  if you can im sure they will want to help you as much as they can and they will be sympothetic with you concidering the pain your in x go and seek help now and get yourself sorted . if work are anything they will understand your life comes 1st 
    • Posted

Im due back to GP next Wednesday.   If it gets too much I will go somewhere else though. :-)
  • Posted

Hi Susan.  I feel for you. I had a fissure that's now healed but It took a lot of time and care!

A few tips.

1) try making all your stools soft. 

2) apply vassaline before you go 

3) I applied pressure to the fisure  with my fingers when going to stop it splitting open.not easy but it helped. 

4) use unscented wet wipes and never tissue. Use a shower when feasible. 

I applied vassaline after with a cotton bud to clean myself. It's amazing how hard it is to keep clean.

5) no alcohol or spicy foods.

Stick with the cream and maybe a pain killer.

if you get a lot of itching see if an antihistamine helps.mine was related to an allergic reaction. 

I found that it took months of care to get back to normal.  Look after yourself and good luck

• Posted

Thank you  I'm doing all those things. Good advice. Drinking loads of water and taking meds and softeners.   Bad day today though. helps that others know what it is like and hoping this god awful pain I've had literally all day eases tonight.  
    • Posted

Hang in there. Its a long road to recovery and I know how thoes days feel. It's like my bum was ruling my life!!

The less you go and the more you can prevent the split opening back up is the most you can do.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Susan. I think the whole stresthing is a big trigger. I was going through a bad time myself when mine happened. I lost my mother to cancer and she lived A 2.5hr dive away. I was up and down seeing her and trying to look after my two boys that are 3 and 5.

I Had a bad diet eating when I could and drinking more than I should.

I think stress is underestimated at how much it affects our bodies. We also tend to slip with a good diet and other bad choices when we're stressed.

I hope things get better for you soon. Its never as bad as it seems when you look back.

phill

• Posted

Agreed re the stress thing. It gave me psoriasis as well 2 years ago. Recently I've been under a lot of stress - but I wasn't diagnosed properly by a rubbish GP who couldn't have cared less. I've just moved house, have registered with a GP and fessed up to the agony - too scared you see. Anyway, I really feel that if this had been diagnosed earlier, I wouldn't be in this situation now and feel very much like writing to the practioner committee. I wasn't examined, questioned or even spoken to for more than 2 minutes and sent away with medication for haemmoroids and a cursory statement that said we all get them.
    • Posted

I had the same issues with my GP. Said i had piles and to apply prep h cream and suppositories.   they stung like hell and made things worse.  I then saw a private consultant who stuck cameras and god knows what else up my backside.  The fissure i first had healed but i kept getting problems. I kept getting lots of small fissures that would heal and then come back.

He had no idea why this was happening.  It turned out i had an allergy to oats! 

As soon as i cut them out i got better. I've eaten them for years with no problems at all, now if i rub them on my arm i come up in hives!

I eventually saw two private consultants and yet they never really solved my problem. They said i may need surgery but no advice about allergys.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.