Chronic Anal Fissures

Posted , 23 users are following.

Help! Someone keep me going and help me cope with this. One day I think it is healing, the next, the excruciating pain is back after going to the loo and I just can't cope with it. I haven't been off work yet, but dread getting up in the mornings, can't tell anyone, but when you have a deadline to get to work, the last thing I need is wanting the loo on the way out of the door. So, I get up earlier to try to cope with that, result is that I end up in agony all the way to work anyway. I am convinced I have cancer and becoming more and more distressed - GP says fissure which is obviously evident and I guess would have taken some blood tests maybe if suspicious. I don't know but am virtually at the end of my tether on this and with the pain and becoming very depressed and anxious and almost unable to do my job. Shopping, driving any social activity is becoming impossible except. I am taking stool softenders and GTN prescribed for 5 days now with absolutely no difference. I will continue with it, have to go back to the GP in 8 days, but in all honesty, hold out no hope. This is just awful.

1 like, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

First things first. Susan take a deep breath.......breathe!  You do not have cancer, ok.

AF are probably one of the most painful and very common issues that many of us suffer from.  Some worse then others, some longer then others... 

Stress is one of the biggest agitators so you really need to relax.  Stress caused mine.  Lost my child in a bad accident and my whole body went to crap. AF was one of the things.  That was 4 years ago.  I have come to terms that AF will be part of my life and drinking Metamucil every night before bed, two stool softeners and one magnesium capsule seem to be keeping the AF at bay.  I have to do this every night religiously or they return.  I still fear the toilet in the morning but it's slowly getting better.  

Many great suggestions in this forum and I am sure you will find one that works for you.  BUT you first need to stop worrying!!!  Good luck and maybe start by having a nice relaxing warm bath tonight smile  

• Posted

Thank you. Those are kind words. Honestly, worried sick and I agree about the stress Yvonne. I've had loads and in the last month, as it has become worse, moved house.I'm alone and don't have a partner and was (am) looking forward to the birth of my first grandchild in January. Thoughts of will I live to see it keep going through my head but I'm trying to keep it at bay. Today, because I haven't been to the loo I am pain free as I was on Monday - yesterday I thought I was going to keel over and the worst thing is painkillers don't seem to be very effective. Anyway, I got home and soaked for a bit, pain went away last night so I slept OK. Thanks for replying - it really does help to have someone to tell.
    • Posted

Hi Susan

I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I've had a fissure for 2 months, and it's finally getting better after 5 weeks off work. It got so bad that I couldn't manage to be at work, and I had to tell my boss and one of my colleagues when I couldn't sit or stand at work one day! They've been amazingly supportive. I've become braver at telling people, and it's surprising how many times people have said that they know someone who had something similar, it's just not talked about!

The things that helped me were:

- lying on my tummy to watch TV, use laptop, read etc (with cushions under my chest to take the weight off my arms)

- avoiding sitting where possible, and when i really had to sit (eg short car journeys or for meals at home) I sat on a V pillow folded over to make the front higher than the back and no pressure on the sore area. This made sitting tolerable but the V pillow was way too obvious to take out in public,  so I then made a less obvious cushion and have subsequently bought one from America with a groove from front to back, and now I can sit much more comfortably. I'm planning to take the new cushion to work as it's navy blue and not too conspicuous.

- drinking loads more water and eating loads more fibre than I thought I needed to keep stools toothpaste consistency. Fybogel has been good and doesn't give me too much wind (which is really painful).

- Diltiazem has worked for me much better than GTN cream.

- I've learnt to take pain killers as soon as I get up in the morning to keep the pain manageable. On the other hand, on mornings when I haven't done that the pain has been so bad that the anal sphincter goes into more spasm, and then it takes hours before the pain will calm down. Now I take paracetamol regularly through the day.

- I also know that when I worry about the pain it makes the sphincter tighten up and become more painful, so trying not to dwell on it (easier said than done!) helps me.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes

Jill

• Posted

Hi Susan

I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I've had a fissure for 2 months, and it's finally getting better after 5 weeks off work. It got so bad that I couldn't manage to be at work, and I had to tell my boss and one of my colleagues when I couldn't sit or stand at work one day! They've been amazingly supportive. I've become braver at telling people, and it's surprising how many times people have said that they know someone who had something similar, it's just not talked about!

The things that helped me were:

- lying on my tummy to watch TV, use laptop, read etc (with cushions under my chest to take the weight off my arms)

- avoiding sitting where possible, and when i really had to sit (eg short car journeys or for meals at home) I sat on a V pillow folded over to make the front higher than the back and no pressure on the sore area. This made sitting tolerable but the V pillow was way too obvious to take out in public,  so I then made a less obvious cushion and have subsequently bought one from America with a groove from front to back, and now I can sit much more comfortably. I'm planning to take the new cushion to work as it's navy blue and not too conspicuous.

- drinking loads more water and eating loads more fibre than I thought I needed to keep stools toothpaste consistency. Fybogel has been good and doesn't give me too much wind (which is really painful).

- Diltiazem has worked for me much better than GTN cream.

- I've learnt to take pain killers as soon as I get up in the morning to keep the pain manageable. On the other hand, on mornings when I haven't done that the pain has been so bad that the anal sphincter goes into more spasm, and then it takes hours before the pain will calm down. Now I take paracetamol regularly through the day.

- I also know that when I worry about the pain it makes the sphincter tighten up and become more painful, so trying not to dwell on it (easier said than done!) helps me.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes

Jill

• Posted

Pleased to hear yours is getting better Jill, it takes over your life and as you say, embarrassing. I haven't plucked up the courage to tell anyone yet though. I've had two good days, because I haven't been to the loo, so am hoping that it's had a chance to heal a bit in the meantime. I am taking medication, looking at fybogel now as I have to do something about this fear of bowel movements. You've given me hope in that you are beginning to heal after two months, Thanks
    • Posted

Hi,

I wonder if you can help me, I've been off work for a while now as walking, standing and sitting all becomes uncomfortable quite quickly. You mentioned you bought a cushion from America, do you know where from or the general design or size of it and i'll try and locate something similar!

Thank you in advance! 

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I am sorry to hear about your pain. I know what your are going through. I was silently suffering for over a year. I just had a fissurectomy about 7 weeks ago. I am alot better, but still abit sore. You sound busy with your work, but something my surgeon told me was that the key to healing from something of this nature, is to truly relax, as stress and anxiety only exacerbate the situation. Are you able to get medical leave/ note from work? Or perhaps do your work at home for a while? That may allow you to go through this process with a bit less pressure. I know its incredibly hard, but try to relax and not think about it. It is excruicating, but it will get better. All the best!

• Posted

Hiya.. I completely understand where you are coming from. Today is a 'bad' day for me. The pain is getting unbareable. I have tried all sorts of creams including GTN and absolutly nothing has worked for me. This problem does take over your life.. I went to the cinema at the weekend for the first time in two years becasue I was having a good painfree day and have paid for it ever since. I have surgery booked for 4 weeks time. I am having the Advancement flap surgery.. that could be an option for you??  
    • Posted

Just catching up since I had my fissurectomy surgery back in May.  It was successful, I would advise any fissure sufferers to have it done.   I still feel a little tender at times, but not the misery I suffered for almost five years, that has gone.  However, I did start developing a lot of abdominal bloating since then.  Has anyone who had the surgery had this?   I went back to the doctor who suggested I start taking a daily Probiotic tablet which  really worked.   I have to stay on it, if I miss a day the bloating comes back.   I do really sympathize those who are still having to cope with this horrid affliction. 
    • Posted

I had the same issue after my surgery (fissurectomy/sphincterotomy/fistula correction), Karen.  My surgeon said that is very common, as everything in that area has been so disturbed for so long, and it's now trying to function properly again.  I was put on probiotics and told to eat plenty of yogurt.  Just those 2 things helped a lot.  I don't have the bloated, full feeling all day now, and NO GAS!  How awful.  Hope you are doing ok, I know how awful and uncomfortable it is! Hugs
    • Posted

Hi abi, hope your doing better! I read your post, I know it's a year ago, but I noticed u you said your getting the FLAP procedure? I just had the LIFT procedure for my fistula a week ago . My Dr said if the LIFT fails, I will have to do the FLAP. Curious on how your doing and how was recovery was? I hope it was your last surgery and your doing well.

Jaime

• Posted

Hi jmehas4

Thanks for your comment. The flap op was fine but a long recovery for me due to infections. That's just standard due to the area it was in. I had about 28 stitches and that was the longest part to recover because they took ages to dissolve which meant I had 5 months off work.. I was told not to soak the stitches but as soon as I didn't listen and had salt baths this quickly resolved itself. There wasn't much pain and going to the toilet after was fine. I was given liquid morphine and movicol so these both helped but I hardly needed pain killers and came off them after 2 weeks. The annoying bit was you couldn't stand up for long because the stitches pulled and having to lay on your side the majority of the time. But with a compfy bed and good tv this was fine. :-) once they start dissolving you can move more Freely: coconut oil was a life saver when applied to the wound and I still continue to use that now everyday to avoid the problem occurring again. Overall the op was the best thing Iv done, the recovery was a long struggle but so worth it. Having a fissure took over my life and being pain free now is amazing. How is your recovery going with the LIFT procedure? :-)

• Posted

Susan, I hope you will consider my advice because i've successfully healed 3 anal fissures in the past. The first one was in 2000 (took 6 months to heal because i just didn't know what to do), the second in 2004 (took 1 month) and the third in 2008 (took 1 month).  Do NOT get the sphincterectomy like some geniuses do. You will end up with anal leakage for the rest of your life (and the anal fissure can recur!, that's a double whammie for ya). Forget all the creams and the lotions and the potions which will only make it complicated. For instance, these steroid creams which these idiot doctors prescribe actually make the skin thinner! (and more prone to future tears).

Do as follows. The key is to keep the stools AS SOFT AS POSSSIBLE FOR FOUR WEEKS ATLEAST which is the healing time for this crippling annoyance.

1)   Take Miralax once a day for atleast 30 to 45 days. It takes 2 to 3 doses of Miralax for the stools to acquire the soft doughy consistency which prevents any further tearing of the fissure. Till your stools get to this consistency, you will be screaming in agony every time you have a bowel movement. Taking more than one dose of miralax a day will cause excess gas and more forceful bowel movements. You need BMs to be gentle. So just once does a day!

2)   For the first week atleast, do not sit on the pottie seat. Just stand (hover above) the seat and let it go softly. Stools falling from a greater height would make your pottie splash a li’l bit. Wipe your floor with disinfectant wipes after you’re done. Trust me, its better than crawling on the floor in pain with a fissure that tore again!

3)   Do not fast and try to have atleast 1 bowel movement a day ( with the miralax, this shouldn’t be an issue),  

4)   DO NOT GET HASTY and discontinue Miralax after say 21 days cos you were feeling better. It will come back to haunt you!’

5)   After 30 to 45 days, continue taking Miralax for another 15 days, but every other day to ensure that your stools get gradually go back to their original consistency.

6)   After 30 days, definitely go for walks/run and have regular aerobic activity so your general muscle tone improves (this is a huge preventative measure to keep it from recurring). Other preventative measures would be to avoid sharp foods (tortilla chips, etc)

7)   Nothing else has worked for me. But the above regimen works and i have now been fissure free for 6 years.

- Heather

• Posted

Good for you, Heather.  You are one of the few that has been able to heal a fissure with laxatives and stool softeners alone.  I have never heard of it myself! However, I take offense to you calling me and others  "geniuses" because we took a leap of faith to have a procedure done that most people are fearful to have.  Maybe you are scared?  I myself am on here to offer my advice, because I suffered with  a CHRONIC fissure for 22 years.  That is more than half of my life.  When it came back with a vengeance in March of last year, I had to stop running, biking and basically had to stop doing anything, including work.  After trying everything my "idiot" surgeon suggested, the last option was a sphincterotomy.  Well, I chose the sphincterotomy, and I can tell you that this “genius” doesn’t have anal leakage, I am back to running and biking again and  I wouldn’t change my decision for the world.  Susan, I hope that you are getting better every day.  I think of you often with sympathy!!  Chin up and let us know how you’re doing!!  P.S. Avoid using too many softeners and laxatives, as loose stools can irritate a fissure as much as a large, hard stool can. Don’t rely on any laxative or stool softener for any extended period of time!!!  All my best, Jennifer
    • Posted

Glad your home cure worked out well for you Heather; however, I had the  sphincterectomy back in May of this year and have not had any leakage, I'd be the first to say that I had if this was the case.  I'm so glad I had it done, as I'm now pain free.  Could be, I had a doctor who knew his stuff.   I have even written a letter  to my doctor thanking him as I'm now pain free. 

• Posted

Jennifer,  your response to Heather reflect my sentiments exactly.  I'm truly glad it worked out so well for Heather because this suffering I would not wish on my worst enemy no pun intended.   Thanks.
    • Posted

Jen,

I must apologize because my intent was to question my former physician's "genius". Scrolling up, it looks like i put down someone who was suffering with this problem. Should've read carefully before i posted (lets just say i mis-spoke). Because i have the greatest sympathy for someone who's going through this issue.

But there are people who are constantly misguided by the great genius doctors out there. My physician suggested the sphincterectomy 4 months into my ordeal in 2000 after he'd prescribed steroids that thinned out the skin down there! Let's just say i have a lot more trust in a superior intelligence that functions within me and all of us than some dude who went through 8 years of med school. This superior intelligence is capable of converting a piece of bread into flesh and bone ( your doctor couldn’t do that). We’ve somehow lost touch with this enormous intelligence that functions within all of us and have turned into scapegoats for the medical money machine.

So yes, I was VERY SCARED when the sphincterectomy was suggested. Am I a coward for that? So be it! Are you brave because you let your doctor take a knife and perform a miracle on you? So be it. But don’t suggest this surgery ( considering all the horror stories behind it) as the best option to anyone who’s only been dealing with it a few months and figuring out how to cure it

- Heather

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I live in Sydney. Can you please send me the Surgeon details, its very hard to find a good surgeon dealing in fissures.

Thanks, Johan

• Posted

Karen could you tell me please, was recovery painful? And does it still sting when you have a bowel movement? I had rubber bang ligitation 6 months ago. It stings when my bowels are soft too! I feel as though he banded them for nothing,well not nothing i do feel the other pain has subsided. But, i feel,as though i am back at square one.
    • Posted

Hi Yolz.  Sorry for your pain.  My recovery back in 2014 from the fissurectomy/sphincterotomy/fistula was surprisingly quick with little pain.  I've written about this before on this site.   I have no pain when having a BM however as I've said before,  I have to watch what I eat (we are all different) but accid type foods will cause even now burning after a BM.   I wonder if you have an internal hemorrhoid that is causing your stinging.   I have excepted the fact that I'll always be very sensitive down there.  So,  I watch carefully what I eat.   I'm very glad I had the surgery.  I hope never to have to go to another doctor and be checked out down there, I find it so embarrasing I guess we all do.   Try using a preparation H suppository after a BM and see it that helps you.   I wish you all the best.

Karen.

• Posted

Hi thanks Karen for your reply,i did get the internal banding done. I am guessing it may have been done wrong or left scarring. I noticed this pain after bowel movement even during recovery. I am using proctsedyl at the moment. Too scared to trust that same doctor as he NEVER examined me on my consultation. Maybe cos i showed him a photo i took, but still u would think to check deep inside my canal. He said "i will check you under anaesthesia" bloody hell. Some doctors arent meant to practice med.
    • Posted

Hi I realize you posted this month's ago, not sure you are even on here still. Were you doing anything besides miralax? . I would like to heal without surgery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.