Chronic Diverticulitis - twice in 7 weeks - surgery?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi. i am new to this forum. i am 42, and in the middle of my second diverticulitis attack in 7 weeks the first time, i was hospitalized for 4 days, and was fine after. 7 weeks later, out of the blue, on monday am, it hit me again. i talked my dr into not admitting me and i am in oral antibiotics . we are scheduled to speak today

older studies suggest i should have surgery given the shirt recurrence. newer studies say to evaluate it on a case by case basis, anyone have 2 attacks in two months? was surgery recommended? anyone have the surgery? after the second attack, the rate of recurrence seems to increase exponentially. what has your experience been when you have more than two attacks? how was recovery both with and out surgery? thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi rich I've had two attacks in 6 weeks 4th attack in a year I'm in hospital as we speak I'm down for elective surgery it's a terrible painful disease hope you feel better soon

• Posted

wow. i hope you have a quick recovery and a successful surgery. did they advise you to have the surgery because the last two attacks were so close in time? what are the prospects and time frame for recovery beat of luck.

• Posted

Hello,

I am so SORRY! Please let us know how your surgery goes, what kind of surgery PLEASE. Some of us may be on the same pathway as you! Best of luck praying for you!

• Posted

No it's because I've had so many attacks in a year they were talking about resection of the bowel don't know recovery time frame thanks tho best of luck to you also

• Posted

Hi Rich I've had attacks close together. I've had it 7 years , never been offered surgery , seems a bit drastic without trying other things , I'm on Aloe vera liquid take every morning, to calm things down also kefir which is a pro biotic to calm your tummy down.

• Posted

Thank you. I know the old "model" was two or three attacks and them surgery. NOW, its determined on a case by case basis. just disheartened ive gotten it twice so close together. i wouldnt allow the surgery now, but if another incident occurs close in time, i am going to consider it. i take a probiotic. What does the aloe vera do? reduce inflammation? speed up recovery? thank you responding

• Posted

Aloe Vera is supposed to reduce inflammation I take it with a bit of orange juice, I also eat crystallised ginger if I feel sick, and thers a water based probiotic called symprove I take too that's supposed to help, have you had a colonoscopy .

• Posted

Hello,

So SORRY!! I have two attacks but about a year half apart. I hope you have a great doctor that can give you the right advise. I am praying for you. wisdom, no more attacks less pain. Understand unfortunately 😔! Get well soon!

• Posted

You must be USA based, where surgery seems to be the main option. Here in the UK surgery is only done for emergencies or where the quality of life is very poor, usually due to the rare complications of diverticular disease or other bowel conditions. We are expected to cope with dietary and lifestyle changes. So although my DD is severe, I have coped without surgery for 18 years, having 6 flares in total.

My last 3 flares were in a 3 month period in 2016. I was referred to a consultant, who said no to surgery, and I quote "only Diverticular Disease, a benign condition". It took 18 months and 3 courses of antibiotics, plus Aloe Vera and probiotics, but everything settled down well. The surgery is major, it takes a long time to recover, and there is no guarantee that the condition won't come back further up the colon. Of course for some it is a life saver, and I would not wish to belittle their suffering.

You are still young so I think it worth considering alternatives to surgery first.

• Posted

In answer to your post, I will relate my experience. I had my first attack in 2016, thought it was appendicitis, turned out a CT scan revealed diverticulitis in the sigmoid colon. Hospitalized 2 days. In 2017, another attack, again, CT scan revealed DD and hospitalized 2 days w/IV antibiotics. IN 2018, another attack which was controlled with antibiotics by mouth. Another attack in 2019 controlled with oral antibiotics. GI doc referred to a surgeon to evaluate for possible robotic laparosopic surgery. Also had a second opinion. In both cases the surgeon and I decided to try to control w/diet and lots of water. So, it's a waiting game to see how the whole issue progresses in the future. I've done research on the procedure and really want to try to control it before going under the knife and dealing with potential complications. It is my understanding that the U.S. is less prone to immediately do surgery than they were in the past for this condition. The danger, of course, is perforations, which can be life changing.

• Posted

hello. just had my 1st attack, though fairly mild (at least the radiologist said it was mild) and on both Cipro and flagyl for 12 days. sick from,nausea since I started this medication, as everyone else has stated. I'm wondering what everyone was eating after the flare up to have another one so soon? did you go back to your normal diet, or were you following the recommendations from the Drs?

• Posted

Hi

Suggest you contact jacqueline01135 who started a post DiviDiners through private messaging. She is full of useful information about diet to prevent further attacks. The best thing is to keep a food diary to find out what foods upset you. You will have to adjust your diet and lifestyle, but it's trial and error, as we are all different. In general, during and after an attack you should stick to fluids, then reintroduce low fibre foods (bland white pap), then reintroduce soluble fibre in small amounts, building up to a diet that suits you.

Doctors will give you general advice. But there is a tendency to blame everything on poor diet, which is not strictly true, and slowly it is becoming recognised that there any many other factors involved, including heredity. Some people are actually born with diverticula and some eat a healthy diet all their lives and still develop Diverticular Disease (DD). Some have other bowel conditions as well, which contribute to the problem. So the general advice "eat more fibre" should be moderated to "eat mostly soluble fibre" as insoluble fibre upsets a lot of people with DD. Google will identify soluble and insoluble fibre for you. I have managed by diet alone for over 2 decades. Good luck

• Posted

thank you. I'm finding that Biohm pre biotics has really helped to move things along. once I'm done with the meds I will definitely tame the advise of the soluable diet.

• Posted

When you say during and after an attack does that mean until you are done taking your antibiotics? The reason I'm asking is because I'm still taking my antibiotics and I really want to eat a banana.

• Posted

Hello,

I am SO sorry and can relate. My two attacks about six months apart after I had a partical knee replacement. I would check with your doctor. Mine said he would wait till maybe third time. Pray NO more times. Each person is different. Good luck! 🙏👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.