Chronic Diverticulitis - twice in 7 weeks - surgery?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi. i am new to this forum. i am 42, and in the middle of my second diverticulitis attack in 7 weeks the first time, i was hospitalized for 4 days, and was fine after. 7 weeks later, out of the blue, on monday am, it hit me again. i talked my dr into not admitting me and i am in oral antibiotics . we are scheduled to speak today

older studies suggest i should have surgery given the shirt recurrence. newer studies say to evaluate it on a case by case basis, anyone have 2 attacks in two months? was surgery recommended? anyone have the surgery? after the second attack, the rate of recurrence seems to increase exponentially. what has your experience been when you have more than two attacks? how was recovery both with and out surgery? thank you

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with DD in 2016, have had about one flare per year that was bad enough to require meds. On the borderline for surgery according to two GI surgeons. A co-worker had the surgery, then had to have three additional surgeries because the resection came undone after the first one. I've been managing with diet, but after having an alcoholic cocktail last week, I came close to having a flare. I know it was the alcohol. Positively no more alcohol whatsoever for me. It's not worth what it can cause in my gut.

• Posted

Hi I've had had seven flare ups in a year with one hospital stay for a week and two courses of antibiotics every time I have it. Iv seen my surgeon yesterday and he said that I now need surgery as I've had too many flares I'm only 37.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.