Chronic EBV?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey Everyone! 

Over the last couple of months, I have been having a multitude of strange symptoms. I have gone through an immense amount of testing with very little answers. I've also done multiple and thorough neuro exams and have no weakness or atrophy. I do not have lyme disease and have tested extensively for it. I also do not have a vitamin deficiency. I have had a brain and full spine scan which were both negative. I have done vast other testing and have been cleared by infectious diseases, cardiology, endocrinology, auto-immune (numerous exams), gastro (endoscopy to check for celiac), etc... The only blood work that came back really abnormal is my EBV. Here are the values of the test: 

EBV VIRAL CAPSID AG (VCA) AB (IGM) 81.00 H U/mL NL2

EBV VIRAL CAPSID AG (VCA) AB (IGG) 316.00 H U/mL NL2

EBV NUCLEAR AG (EBNA) AB (IGG) 322.00 H U/mL NL2

EBV EARLY ANTIGEN D AB (IGG) <9.00 N U/mL NL2

Quickly going over it, my symptoms are as follows: unprovoked muscle soreness, muscle twitching, feelings of off-balance/coordination (hands and legs), random sores in my mouth, heavy anxiety, joint/body stiffness, brain fog, vision floaters, occasional pins/needles, and heartburn. This all seemed to start one day with a one-off instance of blurry eyesight that cleared up quickly. I was sick with a mild cold at the time then the rest of the above symptoms started to appear and have been going on for 8 months. 

I'm just so curious as to whether or not this could be the cause and if so, does anyone know of an effective treatment? 

Any insight on this would be really helpful. 

Thanks! 

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Shelin,

So sorry to hear you've been going through such a tough time this last couple of months, I do really hope and pray that things can settle down as it definitely sounds like you have been through the mill with awful symptoms and tests and things.

It definitely sounds like it could be from mono caused by the EBV virus. I went through a terrible time for a number of months with mono and want to reassure you that many of the symptoms you describe were similar to mine, my main ones were the low grade fever constantly, pain around the glandular areas in my neck, armpits, chest and groin, fatigue and feeling drained, joint and muscle aches and pains, and just generally feeling unwell.

It is reassuring that the other tests you have had have been all good, although I do understand the frustration when you just want an explanation for what's been going on. Mono is so individual and I've come to learn can cause so many different symptoms in different people, but broadly speaking I do see the things you describe as something that definitely sounds like it could be mono or a mono type illness. And I want to reassure you that this is classic mono that other tests show up as normal even though still feeling so unwell - I absolutely want to reassure you that if mono is the cause, which sounds likely, you absolutely will get better and just hang in there it's so frustrating, it can take a little time is the hard thing but even if it full recovery isn't immediate, please do know what this thing does go away and you do get better from it! Take it from me as someone who went through it and thought they never would, thanks only to God's healing hand got through it!

Taking vitamins and herbs helped me a lot during recovery, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day), a B complex vitamin per day (great for nervous system and energy levels) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinacea.

Hoping things can be more settled soon and remember get plenty of rest and be kind to yourself at this time, just getting through each day with this virus is an achievement I know that for sure you and remember you will get better.

Craig

• Posted

P.S. Meant to say Shelin it took me 10 months to see a major breakthrough and real turning point, and at about 9 months I had a period like you describe with awful joint and muscle pain but it actually proved I think to be my body finally starting to kick this thing out for good - so remember there is hope and it can be very normal for this to go on as long as this and then go on to make a full recovery - in no way will it be chronic or anything it's just your body takes a good whack from this and it takes such a while to recover but you will definitely fully recover!!

Craig

• Posted

yes ive been praying that my last 5 weeks of hell is the virus dying off . im at month 6 and its been the worse so far .

• Posted

Oh Lori I will keep praying for you too, I know you have been suffering man and just really hoping so much that this intense period you have been going through can at least ease off and give you some time and space until full recovery is reached.

I for one still believe you're going to get fully better Lori, want you to know that. God is there and is fighting this battle with and for you. Thinking about you Lori and hoping for a better weekend. Thanks as always for all your support and kind words and encouragement for me too. It means a great deal!

Craig

• Posted

thank you Craig ! i had a better day yesterday after the horror that is the morning hours. praying for another good one today and slept until 8am ! lately ive been waking up at such early hours 3am 4.30am ..... so im soooooo happy with just that little change . thank you GOD .

• Posted

Oh that's a good sign that you managed to sleep better through the night last night, hoping that can be the start of a much more settled and better sleep pattern Lori - you certainly deserve it and hopefully the more settled you feel the better the sleep will be too as time goes on!

• Posted

yes i had 2 ok days but im awful today hopefully better day tomorrow .

• Posted

So sorry to hear you had such a tough day yesterday Lori, really hoping today can be much more settled and sending love and hugs and prayers from Scotland to you. Please hang in there Lori, this bad phase will pass you WILL get through it.

Craig

• Posted

thank you craig! this really is a horror story ... the amount of symptoms and what it does to your mind and body is unbelievable . and yes if can get through this ... can get through anything.

• Posted

Lori I know you have been suffering so much lately. Noone can truly understand how hard it is unless you have experienced what you've been going through. I see great faith in you Lori and believe that is going to bring you through. I feel at times lately my faith hasn't been as strong as it could or should be, praying God can strength both of our faith levels to get through this and keep believing and trusting in His goodness and love for us and that He is looking after us and going to guide us to a safe and healthy and happy place again.

Hang in there Lori - still saying a wee prayer for you each day.

Craig

• Posted

thank you Craig its been HELL..... so ready to be rid of this virus and not letting it control my life anymore. hopefully good times are coming !

• Posted

Definitely Lori - you know what you ARE going to get through this. That's something I have firm belief in. Truly believing that, and when you are through this you will be so much stronger and more resilient for the experience with a real sense of freedom like never before. Hang in there for now though Lori is the message, that day is not miles away.

Craig

• Posted

oh i do hope so craig .... im getting really weary of this . it really does mess with your mind and mental stability . its an evil

horrid virus and 6 months is enough ! ive had to have the strength of a lion to get through this completely alone. cant wait to feel well !

• Posted

Hang in there Lori, I know how it feels and feel myself in such a deep hole right now and realising that I can't get out of it myself. We all need God so much right now, just praying for His great Counsellor, the Holy Spirit, to come and comfort and encourage us today, to give us new hope and strength with everything that has been going on right now. I pray that so much for you, David, me and everyone on the site Lori, in Jesus' mighty name.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

I am grasping here a little as I am so frustrated by my symptoms. I just read your note to Shelin about getting muscle and joint pains around month 9/10....I hope your theory works in my case. I am feeling less neuropathy and more weakness and joint pain now, including at the back of my head and neck.....I hope my real body is trying to break through this non-sense!

Kiki x

• Posted

Lori - I am with you! I feel your frustration as my own......let's kick this thing so we can go back to working out and feeling great......do take care.....wishing us both good zzzzzzs please!

Kiki x

• Posted

Absolutely Kiki,

This is one of my most vivid memories from going through the virus. I hit a brick wall around 9 or 10 months where I started to get these awful joint and muscle aches, in my arms and legs especially. Got some bruising too. I just felt so dispirited, I had come so far and yet was getting this hit me now and just didn't know if things would ever change.

Looking back I do think that was a significant phase as it was a month or two after it that started to see a breakthrough, don't get me wrong it still took me still to fully get there but things became more bearable and much less intense and was able to feel more human and just happier again that things were getting better.

Remember, in a strange warped kind of way it is encouraging that something is still happening, your body is still working to kick this thing out, and I do hope so much that this is the final push from your body to get rid of this thing once and for all. Thinking about you!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.