Chronic Hyperventilation syndrome

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 29 year old male and for about 8 or 9 years now I've had what the doctors have told me is "anxiety" but myself doesn't feel anxious and have come across chronic hyperventilation syndrome. I feel as if this is what I have. Over the years I've had 3 ecg test a asthma test and a oxygen level test and all come back normal also had ambulances to the the house as felt was having heart attack an would die. My day consists of waking up and everysinle breathe I take I think about I just cannot forget about it. I constantly feel short of breath get chest pains. But most off all I yawn hundreds if not thousands of times a day just to get a breath and one yawn to get breathe can last 15 p 20 seconds then feel dizzy as stopped all oxygen getting to my brain. Best why I describe it to my family is my breathing is like a car that is running out of petrol and needs more to carry on. My breath feels like my body is empty so I need more and I have to yawn to get this breath. I fear it's life threatening and it's so scary. I used to play football 4 times a week now I don't do nothing no excersises at all as I will run n think damn what about my breathing then would start to yawn n the cycle continues. It's not just certain times its every second of every day I have to yawn to get a satisfying breath and I just want to live normal. Can anyone help or tell me what they think could be or anything. Sorry it's such a long message just so fed up of feeling this way all day every day and my only rest bite is when I'm asleep. Hope to hear some replies.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Friend you are describing me exactly here in this post, ever since I had had my panic attacks last April I have had this chronic breathing problem before these attacks my breathing was on auto pilot I wouldn't even think about it were as now I feel as if though it is on manuel and I concentrate on my breathing all the time.

Like you say to also o have had X-ray of chest which was good 3 ECG tests which were all good I've had my oxygen checked at the doctors is that what you ment in your post about your oxygen levels where they put the thing on your finger? I to feel short of breath all the time to.

With me the only way I can describe it it's as if I can feel a tugging in the centre of my chest as if there is a Empty part of my lungs that bees filling every 5 mins so I also take a big deep yawn.

I've tried breathing exercises which help a little and I'm receiving CBT therapy for anxiety and panic and also in medication for anxiety and panic.

Does it make you feel there is something physical wrong with you? because it does with me I just can't grasp how anxiety can do this to a person without there been a physical cause if you get me.

How did all this start for you?

You are not alone in all this🙂

• Posted

I to have been on medication varying from citalapram, fluoxetine and sertraline and I felt a tad better but came off meds in November as didn't want my life to revolve around taking drugs for me to function and wanted to beat it on my own. It's the constant feeling of been breathless and fearing the worst. I wake up everyday and all that's on my mind is breathing and think oh god am I going to have a heart attack. The strain been put on my heart can't be a good thing forcing it. I have tried everything I've had the one on one lessons I've bought hundreds n hundreds of pounds worth of DVDs and books to help me I've been to get hypnotised kind of thing and nothing has helped. It's like I've forgotten how to breathe like a normal human being and I need to reset it somehow and people say try but I try every day. I love going out and doing stuff but sometimes even before I go out if think oh no my breathing is going to happen. Also I get muscle spasms all over my body is that something you get.

• Posted

Yeah I think this breathing thing is something me and you are in the same boat over.

It's a horrible thing to live with everyday isn't it like unsay I don't know what normal breathing is anymore me I took it all for granted and yes i also get muscle spasms.

You mentioned medication there and that you came off it if you said it makes you feel a bit better maybe you need the meds to get that little bit of extra relief but heyy people are different some people need them some others don't. I have started setraline today 50mg and I'm on mitrazpine and propanolol.

I also fear the worse to whereas my breathless is concerned it's just so terrifying isn't it i even feel out of breath talking sometimes and I go jogging aswell which terrifies me even more but I force my self to to do it.

• Posted

My tablets they only prescribed me 10mg I get the feeling when I go doctors they look and think oh it's him again so just take the easy option and say it's anxiety to get me out there quick. I don't dare to Any physical activity at all as scared what the consequences might be

• Posted

Did the breathing affect your day to day Life like cause you to avoid certain things and situations due to the shortness of breath I am feeling it 24/7 it affects my sleeping for some reason I wake up every 2 hours I don't know if it's depression and my anxiety or if it's a serious lung condition it's a feeling like if I breathe through my nose it's not enough so I gasp or try my best to yawn to expand my lungs it's very scary

• Posted

Get a spinal x-ray, or MRI of your back! You may have Ankolosing Spondylitis!

I have had CHVS for over 24 years, complete with heart palpitations, IBS type symptoms, and a strange reaction to cold, whereby if I got chilled, it turned into a Parkensons like tremor....Also, a misdiagnosed testicular lump metastasized into

my gut, and caused so much pain as to make the ER think I had a ruptured appendix....(I also had weird back and hip problems for years.) I knew something was wrong with the nervous system, but no doctor would listen...Until I was idle for an extended period of time...Then almost every joint hurt! It hurt to take those CHVS deep breaths in too, because even my ribs and shoulders hurt!) Finally, a rheumatologist ordered a back x-ray, and there it was, bone spurs projecting up from each vertebrae...FYI, there is a strong link between CHVS and A.S. When I googled, "Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome and Ankolosing Spondylitis", I found--"Breathing problems, (not necessarily respiratory problems), and abdominal problems, (pain, nausea, pressure), can predate the diagnosis of A.S. by several years. DO NOT ACCEPT THESE CHRONIC BREATHING ISSUES AS ANXIETY! THIS IS A DOCTOR COP-OUT!!

• Posted

It is one of the physical symptoms of Anxiety Matt...

Everybodyvhas different experiences with anxiety... some have the same.... There are 100's of symptoms that come from anxiety and can present themselves at any time.

So you really need to get to the root of the anxiety.

Maybe ask your GP what support is available in your area for anxiety .. Thats a good place to start.

Also there are lots of self help things to help ease the underlying stress/anxiety that is causing you this problem

Mindfullness is good but it doesnt work overnight.. It has to be done daily.

Also CBT is good as it helps change the thought pattern when you are experiencing the breathing issues.

I hope you get the support/help you need.

Good luck you can but try it and if it works for you BONUS xx

• Posted

Appreciate the comment. As its a constant it's so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just wish could wake up one day and do simple things and live life like I did many years ago even chilling out on sofa with my wife i feel short of breath so gasp n yawn until I get one until minutes later it all starts over and over again.

• Posted

Bless you... I wish you could too.... I had similar a couple of years ago and did not realise it was anxiety..Until my doctor did tests.

Thankfully it didnt last long .. but i was desperate so i did every bit of relaxation and meditation and anything i could lay my hands on that would destress and decluttér my mind and help my body relax.

There is some good info on dealing with it on the net... the site that you can listen to music and watch videos !! If you type in methods to stop anxious breathing ... it comes up with all the info for self help.. If it helps get your life back its worth a try 😊

good luck 

• Posted

I'm willing to try everything and feel like I have tried everything from books DVDs relaxation music, massage hypnotherapy I've tied it all.

• Posted

Have you asked your Doctor if there is medication that could help. even if its short term to help break the cycle.🙂

Like you say you want to get your life back... and your stuck in this cycle so if meds can do that see what they say xx

• Posted

I have been on citalapram fluoxetine and sertraline and they only helped the tiniest of bits diazepam didn't really do nothing either I am constantly checking my pulse and stuff and the muscle spasms are a worry Aswell

• Posted

I dont know much about those meds , as i am in the UK.

Is there any research you can do about different meds? and suggest them to your GP .. I have heard a few people mention lexapro or something like that.

• Posted

I am also in the uk I live in Nottingham. I feel they just try and get me out the surgery as quick as possible and just say it's anxiety to try and shut me up.

• Posted

I did a self referal with a leaflet i picked up at the surgery called talking therapies... I did it on line and thought i would have to wait ages.. 4 days later they rang me .. I have had   5 sessions so far and it really helps. ..

Give it a whirl ... it taught me how to react when the physical symptoms were affecting me and they got me from checking my HR on my watch from 10 times plus a day to 1 x weekly lol... 

They have the same in nottingham as i remember reading it under Trent PCT.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.