Chronic pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - My name is Sophie.

I have suffered from chronic pain for just over 3.5 years and it is really getting on my nerves now!

I am only 14 and I have been in pain every day since it started.

Doctors are calling it Mal-tracked Patella fermerals, severs, and Chronic pain.

I find it really difficult to do much movement and so my weight has gone up and I am in need of excersizes which I am able to do. 

PLEASE help.x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sophie, I am still thinking about our common problem of gaining weight when our knees are hurting and keeping us from moving much. One of my doctors told me that for every pound that I could lose, my knee would feel a loss of 6 poounds.  At first, I didn't believe her, but I tried it and yes, my knee hurt a little less. I don't believe in special diet for weight loss in adults, much less for young people, so what I did which may work for you is to just eat a sensible , well balanced diet, only cut the volume of it just a little.  For instance, if you usually grabbed a handful of cookies and it was 4 of them, then only choose 3 of them the next time.  If you like certain entrees for your main meals, just cut the amount by a couple of spoonfuls.  Over 2 or 3 weeks, you could lose a pound.  Believe me, it works. Do not leave off any food groups.  Eat widely, differenet colors, etc., but just a tiny bit less.

?Also, the first doctor I found who helped me a little gave me in addtion to a shot , just one exercise for mal tracked  patella... just lie on your back in bed and lift your stiff leg up and lower it very slowly , almost to the mattress, but not touching it, and then raise it up slowly again.  He said 40 times  !  (I know!! At first I did less).  You will feel this in your abdomen too, but it will strengthen the muscles on the sides of your leg to help keep your knee cap from moving around where it will hurt. I don't believe  this could hurt anything else that is going on, but you will know when you try it, if it could do some good.

?I sense that you may not be able for several reasons to access help with your problem, so I am trying to help you in practical ways to get through it until you are a little older and have more options.  A good knee brace is another thing to help when you have stairs to climb or heavy loads to lift, like a backpack of school books. You know the kind, that has an opening for the patella and fits real snug around the joint. My brace has steel bars on each side and is heavy and cumbersome, but I love it because it helps my knee hurt less.  I don't wear it all the itme, of course, as you don't want  our own muscles to forget how to work and support you.  You can purchase the elastic support kind in  most pharmacies.

Hang in there!!!  Find some joy in each day.  It is a beautiful world if you look in the right places.

?Keep reading the forum. There are some wonderful people on line who freely share what they know.

?Hugs to a brave girl........

• Posted

Thank you. The physio I am working with at the moment told me to do that excersize as well along with 2 others. I ha to do them 5 times for a week then buid up to 30 and then start adding .5 kg weighs until I reached 3 which has definately improved my muscle strength but my pain seems to be getting nowhere.

As for the weight , I don' tend to eat very much anyway. I am seeing a nutriotinal therapist who makes me take a few supplements everyday.

Anyway. I am seeing some great doctors and am soon to see a pain therapist so hopefully that will help.

Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.