Chronic Plantar Fasciitis for 3 yrs

Posted , 23 users are following.

I have PF in both feet, in the arches and its very painful. I have tried lots of things such as shock wave therapy, orthotics in my shoes, corticosteroid injections, taping, physio..... But nothing seems to work. I go to see the chiropractor regularly just to keep things moving but things have got worse over last few weeks and am struggling to drive as get sharp twinges in my arches. I just feel i dont have much quality of life as i cannot do much at all. Can anyone suggest any further treatment to try? I have just read there is PLatelet rich plasma treament and people use botox injections to numb pain? I had a foot massage done a week ago and the lady was reflexologist, and i not sure if she made it worse? Any advice would be much appreciated

3 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I recently had the PRP injections (May 19th) on both feet as I have had PF for about 2 years. So far I have had no relief, I can't switch shoes much, even when I switch to orthaheels I am still in pain when walking and/or standing too long.

I get burning shooting pains in my heals even when resting. I am hoping that it just needs more time. I'll keep the forum posted on how it goes, but I also understand that I may need another injection??

I have had several tests done - and it's not arthritis and not due to my type 2 diabetes...so we just wait and hope for improvement. I am also a bit overweight so that does not help either.

Have a great day!!!!!

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your message. Do they say you get immediate relief from the injections or it takes time? I hope it improves for you and maybe after few more injections. Is it painful? I had steroid injections in my arches few yrs ago and it was so painful i was told if i want them again i would need it under GA. So if i do decide to have it done am really nervous as i know i cant handle the pain! Keep me posted 
    • Posted

Also wanted to ask, did you get it done privately? Not sure if health insurers cover it or have to pay yourself?
    • Posted

Hi Sim7777,

I just wanted to butt in here to say...I have only read or even heard of maybe 1 case where the injections worked! In my opinion, DON'T do it! Everyone says how extremely painful it is and sometimes their PF was worse afterwards. To be fair, a couple folks did say that it seemed to help temporarily...I think a month on one and the other person said like 3 days, but then the PF came back strong. Apparently it's quite a large needle from what I've heard. It can be so painful some people go under sedation to do it. So to me...the cons far outweigh the pros and I wouldn't do for nothin. Research on here...there are lots of folks that tried it out of desperation but hardly any worked...or if they did...those folks aren't speaking up on here! Just my 2 cents...keep us posted!

• Posted

I got instant relief because he loaded the syringe with cortsone & local anaesthetic. I am not sying it was a cure but as I walked home it felt good. I then kept up with deep massage on the tendon, that is tight in your arch, and wore nothig but my fab new shoes by 'Alegria' & have never looked back. Slowly the pain has gone in 6moths - thank God MY PF has gone.
    • Posted

Thanks for reporting to us vj1958...now, sadly, I will add you to my list of folks that found no relief from the injections. I've only read about maybe 1 person who said it helped them. All the other stories have been close to nightmares. Still, I'm sorry for you...I know you must've been hopeful. Keep praying and rolling a frozen water bottle under them! That totally took it out of my right foot when I first got it in both feet...never to return again!! But not in my left.
    • Posted

Hey, was just wondering how you are getting on and whether the prp injections you had have kicked in or made any difference? Were you in a lot of pain after? Could you go back to work straight away or need to rest for few weeks? Has it made the pain worse? As i know i will be asked if i want to have the injections but not sure whether its worth going a head with esp as i not really heard any major sucess stories and i have had steroid injections and they were very painful!
    • Posted

I have had steroid injections in many of my joints, including my spine! The foot was no more painful than the others & as I always feel optomistic about the  relief & it is over in seconds I don't think it so bad. I think it helped a little & with the fab shoes by Alegria, I am now pain free apart from a twinge when I have been on my feet all day at work.

I would always say give it a go what have you got to lose? I also had a bunions removed - had both done at the same time. 

• Posted

I had steroild injections in teh arches of my feet and it was extremeley painful. Therefore the prp will be done in teh same place wher ethe pain is. But i have read a lot of info on prp and they not selling it to me. I have a lot to loose if the pain is worse than what it is as there is no guarantee on what will happen after treatment and i have read people have been in more pain. I had a flare up a mopnth ago and i was in much worse pain than i am in now so i know that things can be worse and how that would effect my life.

I think everyones pain is diff and what works for one person may not work for another. I cannot walk more than 10 mins without being in pain and if i stand in one place thats excruciatingly painful. 

• Posted

A couple of years ago following such severe PF for many years I was referred to an Orthopeadic Surgeon.  When my feet were scanned I was found to have an extra bone in my foot which was making a tendon inflammed following my feet becoming flat after years of walking for work.  The PF was not my only problem I had pain on the inside of my foot which worsened in toe post fitness shoes normally recommended for PF.  My only relief was wearing a german sandal with an anatomical sole.  As a result I had foot reconstruction surgery last November on one foot.  Drastic I know and not without risks.  I was totally immobile for 7 weeks and in a walking cast for another 6 weeks.  Following this I have to take it easy for 1 year to 18 months.  Now 7 month later I am now feeling better than I was before the operation and have just agreed to have the other foot done, which I am honest at first I thought "What have I done?" and couldn't imagine getting back to normal.  Now I am looking forward to being able to walk again without pain in my feet or hips.  I had a left tibialus tendon reconstruction, excision of the accesory navicular, and a medial displacement calcanieal osteotomy, for those of you who want to know the operations I had.  Basically my tendon was shortened, an extra bone removed and the heal broken repositioned and screwed into place.  The idea of this was to improve my flat feet and gait which was affecting my hips.  When I have my other foot done I am also having a small bunion dealt with which is also starting to cause problems.  I don't want to go through this again so I am having them done together.  I just wanted people who are desperate like I was to know there is another option.  Very drastic and I will say you need someone to care for you 24/7 when at home for the first non weight bearing weeks. I am sure the fitter ones among you might find getting around easier than I did. I found stairs impossible to manage and had to live downstairs while I recovered (nice Christmas - not).  Not for the faint hearted and not a guaranteed solution but I am pleased with the result so far.  The extra bones in the foot and elsewhere in the body are aparently common and usually cause no problems. 
    • Posted

That is quite drastic but we are all very different on here and it is a very individual ailment. So....clearly, if that worked for you then you made the right decision and that's wonderful! 1 tip tho....I would wait the full recovery time to make sure all is well before deciding to do the other foot. I think you said the recovery time is 12 to 18 months and it's only been 7 months for you, right? Just be patient a bit longer so you can be sure. Keep us posted!!!
    • Posted

The other op will not be done until at least the 1 year mark approx.  The surgeon is taking all precautions and if I do not feel ready I can delay the surgery.  It was kind of you to reply and I take on board your advice, although I am already basically doing as you say... but thank you.  I just felt that it might help someone out there who feels they have tried all avenues and are desperate as I was.  This is a last resort and I do not advocate anyone undertaking this avenue without serious consideration.  It was extremely painful and a long recovery which I could not have managed on my own as I said.  I was not able to walk far at all and was using wheelchairs to get around.  This was a chance at being able to go for a walk again with my husband which I have not done for several years.  I love walking and also need to get fitter for health reasons. 
    • Posted

HI - did you have the surgery and did it help you?  and the recovery was very painfuL??
  • Posted

You poor thing, no wonder you are depressed! People who have never had it do not understand how appaling the endless pain is. Even when you are lying down with your foor supported by many feather pillows... I also had the cort/steroid injection, it helped a little. On hot days I would plunge my feet into iced water up to my ankles. I also did 'Epsom Salt'  foot bath, in a cheap foot spa, bought off gumtree, lovely. Kept a small plastic bottle of water in the fridge to do the rolling exercise. I also discovered that all those gel heel supports & insoles were a waste of money & really made next to no difference at all. However, I did buy a pair of 'Alegria' professional shoes - sturdy looking but fab. I now have three pairs & wore nothing else for three months. I am now pain free [unless i foolishly wear flat fashion shoes for too long]. Even then it is only a sharpe spasm that reminds me to take notice & beware. Never wear cheap flat pumps or shoes!!

I wish you well - it can't last forever. 

• Posted

Thanks, i always thought it would go away but 3 yrs later i still have it. Have you had it for a long time too? Chiropractor says i have some degree of tendionitis too. So wish my time would come soon so i can walk again!
    • Posted

I had it for about 2 yrs in total. However, I do think it has the potential of reoccuring if I don't take care...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.