Chronic Plantar Fasciitis for 3 yrs

Posted , 23 users are following.

I have PF in both feet, in the arches and its very painful. I have tried lots of things such as shock wave therapy, orthotics in my shoes, corticosteroid injections, taping, physio..... But nothing seems to work. I go to see the chiropractor regularly just to keep things moving but things have got worse over last few weeks and am struggling to drive as get sharp twinges in my arches. I just feel i dont have much quality of life as i cannot do much at all. Can anyone suggest any further treatment to try? I have just read there is PLatelet rich plasma treament and people use botox injections to numb pain? I had a foot massage done a week ago and the lady was reflexologist, and i not sure if she made it worse? Any advice would be much appreciated

3 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I sympathise totally with everyone on here, my PF has been around for 2 years now, I am a Midwife and have been on altered duties to avoid 12 hr labour ward shifts but NHS won't let me do this for ever, in fact they are starting to make waves now and so not sure how much longer I can stay doing my altered duties as a midwife - this is very sad indeed!  Consultant orthopaedic as recogmmended the gastrocnemius release and I'm awaiting an operation date but concerned at your experience, cannot bear the though of getting bunions in my feet and as already have wide feet - well that doesnot bear thinking about. Do you regret the surgery, anyone else have the surgery and it helped or didn't at least cause worse side effects?  Thanks for advice x
    • Posted

Hi I am not sure if your comment about the surgery was for me.  If it was no I do not regret the surgery and am looking forward to having the other foot done.  My sister is a midwife and I know she stands for long hours.  If you have the surgery I had you will not be fit for about 6 months at least.  I think recovery depends on age and weight.  I have a friend whose daughter had the surgery at 18 and is now in the forces after being declined for having flat feet and suffering pf.  We both agree the surgery is worth the risk after years of having pf.  Not for everyone though and you need someone to care for you 24/7.
  • Posted

Hi, It was not  not me who asked about surgery - if my pf had not got better I would have done anything to cure it!! I'm glad your op was a success.
  • Posted

I had a third opinion from a consultant and he seems to think i dont have PF. As from the MRI scans it does not show i have PF or tendiontis...... And the doc said if i have it it would show on the scan. Has anyoen else had MRI scans and what were the results? Coud it be seen from scan you def have PF? As i got this condition in my third trimester of pregnancy. And i been told i got some kind of biomechanical overload. And that i need to do strengthening exercises...... I been doing them and i also did exercises for a year when it al;l srated but no change. But i gonna be open minded and try the exercises and also see if i can get on the alter G treadmil to build up the muscles which apparently are very weak/dead. I get so many different opinions depending on which doc so is very annoying but would def not go down surgery route unless you know for sure it is PF you have as could be waste of time and pain!
    • Posted

I have had the ultrasounds done of both feet and it showed PF..the plantar bands are wider (thicker) then they should be and there was a lot of inflammation..  left being worse...it is very very painful ;(...so the scan did show it but I am still a bit unsure as to if it is related to tight calf muscles or its just PF
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I have been dealing with PF for 2 years as well. Wondering if anyone has tried a Reki treatment. Shoe inserts is going to cost me $600. Canadian and no guarantee if it will help. 
  • Posted

I have had the PRP treatments and nerve ablation done (twice) and pain free now smile had PF for two years...I am very lucky this worked
    • Posted

Hi. I've been reading about nerve ablation. Could I ask where you had it done ? As I'm struggling to find somewhere?

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi

Was just lookin at this post and wanted to ask what you had nerve ablation done on? As i read it is to destroy nerves nut its done for back pain or neck pain? So not really for legs/feet nerve pain?

• Posted

Hi there, I feel so sorry for you as I know exactly how you feel.

I have had PF since last summer. nearly 1 year now on and off but more on than off.

Ill list you a few things ive tried.

it gets a bit annoying trying so many things but most people are prepared to try anything to get rid of that horrible pain.

1. My phisio told me to have 1 bowl of freezing cold water with ice cubes in and 1 bowl of hot water as hot as you can stand. swap feet from one to the other as much as you can i do once day in evening for about half hour.

doesnt work instantly but after a week or too I felt more reliefe.

2. I rub magnesium natural oil into my feet every night and massage them were they are painful

helps me sleep and takes the pain away

3. foot stretching

4 latest method try cant do ant harm

I use the hot hair dryer on my feet for a bout 10 mins each foot while rubbing in some heat treatment cream. I found this to work quite well this morning i woke with hardly any pain.

but you must massage the sore spots with the hot air as hot as possible.

I also wear good shoes or trainers and orthepedic insoles.

Ive had cortisone injections there rubbish and dont work.

hope this helps xxxx

• Posted

The best thing I tried that worked was 600mg of ibuprophen and 50mg of diphenhydramine each night at bedtime for a week. 
  • Posted

Just came across your post. I have exactly the same things you have described. I have suffered for 3 plus years. I had surgery on my left foot a year ago with no relief. I recently did the prp injections the end of nov.  the Dr told me as he was giving the injections it could take 3-4 months for 30% improvement and up to a year for 80% sad I haven’t seen any relief yet it has been almost 2 months
    • Posted

Hi Pam

Sorry to hear you are also suffering. I have had this for 5 and half years now and have tried everything with no success. I have just learnt to accept it and make my life easier in any way I can. It's really sad that nothing can be done for this condition and we all have something slightly different as some treatments work for others and not for some. I only have 3 pairs of shoes I can just about tolerate to wear but standing in one position is more painful for me than walking. But can only walk for short time until pain kicks in. This is the first time I have posted in a while as I am just fed up as there is no solution for me for this chronic tendionitis/PF/nerve pain that I have.

I hope you manage to do things that you find relief from and to change your life style to limit your pain as this is what I do to try and live with this condition every day.

• Posted

If you do see an improvement with your prp injections pls do let me know as I never had these but would consider it
    • Posted

I sure will. I feel like the prp is my last resort. Hopefully it works. I know having the shots in both feet angered them. Which the Dr said is a good sign sad ok hopefullysmile. I can’t stand for longer than 10 minutes without pain and feeling the need to sit. I don’t have only a couple of pair of shoes I can stand either!! It’s so frustrating. And people act like you are a complainer !! I know I walk pretty fine but I am in Pain!! Thanks for listening 
    • Posted

I haven’t seen improvement yet from prp. Had it done the end of November. I went to see a new Dr today for a second opinion. He wants me to go for an mri. He thinkis I may also have Tarsal Tunnel. It is like carpal Tunnel in the wrists but in the ankle and or side of the foot. Hopefully he can tell from the mri. He said the next step would be a block to see if my pain goes away and we would know if that is the problem. Please keep your fingers crossed that I can get an answer that may help me and potentially others that could have the same issue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.