Cipramil 20mg for depression - HELP

Posted , 8 users are following.

Im a 23 yr old female who just yesterday decided i needed to do something about my depression/anxiety/anger issues before i hurt myself or someone around me. (It was mainly my partner and mother that decided it was time to take action...)

My doctor has asked me to take Cipramil 20mg a day.. Ive been on the net for hours researching and at the moment the negative comments about it are far outweighing the positive. 

Alot of people saying weight gain and short temper is common?! Complete loss of sex drive?

Can anyone (Especially females) let me know how they went on this drug? Side effects wise. And how long it took for you to notice a difference in your mood.

In desperate need of something that will just effing work.

Please and thankyou

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 30 year old female struggling with anxiety for 15 years now. I just recently started on celexa 10mg 8 weeks ago. It took me 7 weeks to see a difference. I was just increased to 20mg at the begining of the week splitting the dose 10 in the am and 10 at pm. The side effects i have struggled with were very tired during the day, no motivation, woke up with slight anxiety every morning but used xanax to help me through the day and the worst was feeling spacey (dream like). The side effects started to subside for me 6 weeks after the start of 10mg dose. Everyone is different all you have to do is give it a try.
    • Posted

hi sasha did you find you had more side effects going from 10mg to 20mg
    • Posted

Mark,

I tried 20mg all at night first and on the second day of waking up my anxiety was through the roof even my xanax didnt help taking it away. So i waited a couple weeks and the doc told me to try splitting the dose am and pm so i am now on my 4th day of doing that no major side effects so far. Im praying it stays like this.

• Posted

hi thats good i may try that to im going to see my doc on tuesday so i will see what he says.let me know how you feel next week. good luck
    • Posted

Mark,

It may work for you as well because 20mg is suppose to be the maintence dose. The 10 wasnt quite enough and it didnt start working till 7 weeks after taking it. I did notice when splitting the 20mg dose my spacey feeling went away the second day. But with this new dose im praying it dont come back to where i have to start all over again with the symptoms. Good luck with the doctor.

• Posted

This is my 4th day on the 20 mg was on 10mg for 8 weeks.
    • Posted

as i say let me know how things are next week hope they are still good for you.
  • Posted

I have been on citrilppram 10 mg for 3 months now the side effects at the beginning were awful i feel abit better now but still have anxious days docs wanted to increase them to 20 mg but i refused im also taking levothyroxine for underactive thyroid so dont know if this can cause anxiety has well any advice ladies
  • Posted

Hi there, I stared 5-6 weeks ago, had some side effects lasting a few weeks itching being horrible and upper gastro pain, feeling like I'm completely nutty! But I've got to say that it has all settled down for me and I'm much better off on them at the moment.

Started on 10mg and went up to 20 after 2 weeks in fairness that didn't make much difference to me.

Sex drive, well yes it's affected that but I've got to say I'm not really bothered by it which amazes me as that's why I put off going in them for so long .

I'm looking at it as fixing my issues in my head which will help me in my life cope better and not react either so completely over the top Happy or complete raging when someone upsets me.

It's not an easy journey and first few weeks were rough but if you are lucky enough to have support ( I had the people on this page as hubby just doesn't get it) then it makes it easier. I for one not regretting taking this step at all xx

• Posted

Hi

I suffered with anxiety for 16 years and nothing helped until I started these meds - within 6 months I'd recovered.  

There'll always be negative comments on the internet, and most reviews you'll find are written by people who haven't been successful for one reason or another with them.  Everyone is different, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another - there are many people who've recovered with these meds (they don't usually write on the internet).

Also when you're not feeling well you're bound to hone in on the negative side.

Taking these meds often heightens your symptoms the first few weeks, that normal.  Don't expect a quick fix on these meds, they work real slow.  Months often.  Don't let that put you off.  You'll get some strange side effects, but they're all part of the anxiety and medication - there's no need to try analysing each one.

Some people gain weight with these, many don't.  I didn't.  I was on a different meds once which gave me anger issues, so I switched to these ones and haven't had a problem.  Again everyone's different.  Sex drive ..... mmm that can be an issue for many people.  However ...... if it is affected, remember that its temporary and your main concern is getting better.  It'll right itself later on.

Don't be in a hurry on the meds to get well - let them work for you in their own time.  You can't hurry it.  But ..... the wait is worth it.

A lot of people start recovering around 3-4 months, some sooner .... for me it was longer.  Everyone's different.

Hope that helps xx

• Posted

hi kate i have been on these now for 4 month and still feel terrible.
    • Posted

hi kate i think its great for someone who has recovered to still come on here and give people hope and advice i started suffering from anxiety around 20 years ago but i was put on these for depression and its brung my anxiety back more then ever thats why im thinking if i should carry on taking these meds started 4 month ago still feel spaced out and dame right strange.
    • Posted

Hi Marky b,

Think we've spoken before! I started 10mg citalopram for 3 weeks last August and went to 20mg in 1st week September. This week is the most normal week I've had in terms of how I've felt. Hang on in there . I couldn't even remember what it felt like to be normal. Like Kate cogs says it's different with each of us - very frustrating!!

• Posted

you feel normal now thats great to hear im only taking 10 mg for the last month as the 20mg done me in.
    • Posted

Each dose change means we have to start counting the weeks again. I was threatened with increasing to 30mg a couple of weeks ago as I was having a blip . Have hung tight and come through it and intend staying on 20mg. I'm not 100% but so much better .

• Posted

Gerry,

When you did your increase did it take as long as you start up dose ?

• Posted

If you mean the side effects, they were still tough but not as bad or.perhaos I felt more in control.and could handle them better. Once the anxiety and nausea faded my biggest problem was insomnia. It's taken months to settle and was eventually given a small dose of amitriptyline to help which has made a difference.

• Posted

Gerry,

Thank you and yes i was talking about the side effects. You gave me some relief on knowing it wont be as bad as when i started.

• Posted

Sasha , I don't think it will be as bad for a couple of reasons:- firstly you will feel more in control with what's happening and you know it will soon fade. Secondly, you already have the citalopram in your system so it's already used to the drug, you are just topping it up.

Good luck x

• Posted

Agree with Gerry the side effects are there when u increase but nowhere near as bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.