31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you Derek

I have never had a problem with ciprofloxacin. Just got a script this morning for 14 days I may have a UTI so to be safe. I will see him on the 7th to see what is going on. Had blood Wed either UTI or I passed a stone. We will see.

Even if I have never had a problem I know that there are men out there that due. When you are giving a pill by a doctor please check what the side effects are and be aware of them

Ken

• Posted

With this family of drugs Some people can get away with it. It seems to depend on your genetics and DNA. With others you get away with a few treatments before it catches up with you. When there are other drugs it's not worth taking the gamble.

• Posted

Hey Derek

I laid down and was thinking about the article on the drugs. I did print it and put it in my file so I will have it just in case anyone what to know about it or did not get a chance to see it.

Men need to research and medication that you get from your doctor. That is a must for me. If my Urologist or any of my doctors prescribe me anything. The first thing I do before I pick it up is ask my doctor what it is for and then do my own research.

When you take anything you have to know what side effects to look for. There have been men on here and maybe else where that when something happen they don't know why.

Men are given let's say Flomax or Rapaflo they will cause retro ejaculation and are not told about it. When it happen they freak out because they think something is wrong. You have to do your research. Some medication carry 30 or more side effects.

All I ask is do the research. It will help you in the end. All of us on here try to give our brothers in pain our wisdom because we have been there and we don't want you to have any more problems.

Good health to all.............Ken

• Posted

Hi Ken - I hope you are feeling better.

Regarding side effects I just want to mention that yesterday I cracked a tooth on a turkey bone and had to rush to my dentist who I have not seen for several years thankfully. He said he had to freeze my left side so he could do a new filing.He has a new system and wanted to know my BP. I asked why as that has never been an issue with freezing. he just said it was a precaution.

When he injected the freezing the right side of my face went numb and I could not open my right eye. My left eye was seeing double vision. So my wife rushed me to the ER nearby where after a few hours of observation I was ok. Really scary stuff!! be well my friend . Howard

• Posted

Howard

Thank you Yes I am feeling better Woke up this morning my whole bed was wet. I think I sweat it out last night. Still not great but much better no fever Thank God

I'm going to have to check that out. I will be going after the first of the year have to have 5 teeth pull from the bottom and have new plates done.

Did he tell you anything else. Did you ever have the tooth fix

I just looked it up there are a few side effects like yours and also it can cause heart palpitations. This is good to know when you are going to a dentist

I hope you are doing better. Just try to relax and rest. Stay away from the Turkey

Ken

• Posted

I have heard that American dentists will not treat patients whose BP is high. Here in the UK they are not up on that some are also not aware that patients with A.F. should have an adrenaline free injection.

• Posted

Thanks Derek and Ken - no I did not have the tooth fixed as they thought I had had a stroke! I am fine today and will go back on Monday to fix the tooth. I will ask at that time what the freezing chemical was and it was very different from past freezings and was administered differently too. The equipment was very new and modern with the x-rays showing up right away in front of me. Amazing how a cystoscopy can be quick and easy but freezing a tooth can be life-threatening!

• Posted

Howard: When you say freezing do you mean just a regular novocaine or alternative anasthetic shot? I've never heard of actually using cold to try and numb the nerves so that a dentist can do a filling.

• Posted

I always truthfully tell people that I'd sooner have another GL/PVP than an extraction or a root canal.

I have a wisdom tooth that is niggling and the dentist looked at the X-Ray and said that will be a challenge as the root goes at a right angle into my jaw bone. He said that he might pass me on to a colleague at another practice.

• Posted

When they say it will be challenging, that is bad news. I had that happen to me about 8 months ago, but assumed challenging meant that the dentist didn't have the right equipment. The root canal with the endodontist was 2 hours of agony. At one point after about 90 minutes and during an episode of intense pain, I actually lifted my arms as if I was going to strangle her (I apologized later and she took no offence whatsoever). It was bad and she almost gave up which would have meant an extraction; but fortunately, I got through it. Since that episode, I now use a waterpik every night.

• Posted

I hate that this site "moderates" posts. At least provide the poster with the opportunity to modify the post. Now I have to write a long post all over again, which I think I'll pass on.

• Posted

Hey Buddy

Yes that is a shame and it does happy

If you want to say something to someone that you thing may be moderated sent them a Private Message. It is much better and you can say what you want.

Have a great day............Ken

• Posted

That's just it, there was nothing that should have been moderated. I did use a word for a water irrigator for the teeth and maybe that was the problem.

• Posted

You could always use Word and keep a copy before posting. I tend to do that in case a post gets moderated. Links to other sites are not liked nor to copywrite articles or with phone numbers or E-Mail addresses.

• Posted

Hi - just regular novocaine but I have to say that what the dentist used on me yesterday was not novacaine as I never had a problem from that drug. "Freezing" is just a descriptive term as that is how my jaw feels but there is no actual freezing involved.

On the Cipro stuff: a few years ago when I started CIC I got a UTI and was given Cipro which worked ok. I had no side effects from it. But 6 months later I thought I had another UTI though it was just urethral irritation. I was give Cipro again and it almost paralyzed me from tendon pains in my legs and shoulders. From what I read for some people the first dose of Cipro sensitizes the body to the drug so when the second dose is taken later on there can be an adverse reaction.

Since then I use Keflex (Cephalexin) for my epididimytis with great results and no side effects. Howard

• Posted

That is the problem with it. It also sneaked up on me later and other drugs can trigger it. In my case it was Bisoprolol.

• Posted

Howard & Derek

I'm going to talk with my doctor when I see him on the 7th. I am taking Cipro for 14 days but he does not know that I had Tentititis years ago.

No harm in telling him.Ken

• Posted

All American doctors had a letter from Bayer on the subject about three years ago.

• Posted

My doctor either never received the the letter or ignored it.

• Posted

August 22, 2016

IMPORTANT DRUG WARNING

Subject: Important Changes in

the Avelox (moxifloxacin hydrochloride) and Cipro (ciprofloxacin) Complete

Prescribing Information – New Limitations of Use and Safety Information for

Fluoroquinolones

Dear Health Care Professional:

Bayer HealthCare Inc. and Merck

& Co., Inc. would like to inform you of imprtant changes to the prescribing

information for fluoroquinolone antibiotics for systemic use in the United

States, including Avelox (moxifloxacin hydrochloride) and Cipro

(ciprofloxacin).

Limitation of Use and

Safety Information for Fluoroquinolone Drugs

To communicate important safety

information for fluoroquinolone antibiotics, the U.S. Food and Drug

Administration (FDA) has requested that all license holders of these products,

including Bayer for Avelox and Cipro, implement a class label change.

These labeling changes provide

for revisions to the Indications and Usage section of the package insert

to include a new limitation of use statement for acute bacterial sinusitis,

uncomplicated urinary tract infections, acute uncomplicated cystitis, and acute

bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, to reserve systemic

fluoroquinolones for treatment in patients who have no alternative treatment

options. In addition to the Boxed Warning, Warnings and Precautions, and

Information for Patients sections of the package insert and the Medication

Guide have been revised to include information regarding the risk of disabling

and potentially irreversible serious adverse reactions of tendinitis and tendon

rupture, peripheral neuropathy, and central nervous system effects that can

occur together in the same patient.

The labels of fluoroquinolones

already had a Boxed Warning for tendinitis, tendon rupture, and worsening

myasthenia gravis. The labels also included warnings about the risks of

peripheral neuropathy and central nervous system effects. Other serious risks

associated with fluoroquinolones are described in the labels, such as cardiac,

dermatologic, and hypersensitivity adverse reactions. This information about

the risk of disabling and potentially irreversible serious adverse reactions is

based on the FDA’s review of postmarketing adverse event reports from the FDA

Adverse Event Reporting System (FAERS). This safety information was discussed

at a November 5, 2015 joint meeting of the Antimicrobial Drugs Advisory

Committee and the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee.

Prescriber Action:

Health care professionals should

not prescribe systemic fluoroquinolones to patients who have other treatment

options for acute bacterial sinusitis, acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic

bronchitis, acute uncomplicated cystitis, and uncomplicated urinary tract

infections. Health care professionals should encourage patients to read the

Medication Guide that describes the safety issues associated with

fluoroquinolones. The Medication Guide is required to be given to the patient

with each fluoroquinolone prescription. Stop fluoroquinolone treatment

immediately if a patient reports serious side effects, and switch to a

non-fluoroquinolone antibacterial drug to complete the patient’s treatment

course.

Reporting Adverse Events:

Health care professionals are

encouraged to report adverse events to FDA’s MedWatch reporting system

If you wish to request further

information for AVELOX, please contact Merck National Service Center

Please refer to the accompanying

Important Information about AVELOX and CIPRO for complete indication and other

important risks. Please also see the enclosed Prescribing Information,

including BOXED WARNINGS and Medication guide for AVELOX and CIPRO.

Bayer HealthCare is the license

holder for AVELOX and CIPRO. Under terms of a marketing agreement, Merck

markets AVELOX in the United States.

Sincerely,

Dario F. Mirski, M.D.

Senior Vice President and Head

Medical Affairs Americas

Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

• Posted

Thanks Derek

This will be very helpful to many men on this site.Ken

• Posted

There were some phone numbers and web site addresses that I took out as they would probably have been moderated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.