31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Derek:

Thanks for posting this information. Cipro made my tinnitus somewhat worse. I recently had a UTI and the physician's assistant wanted to prescribe Cipro. I now use the tinnitus as an excuse for why I don't want to be on Cipro. When I bring this up, they immediately look for another antibiotic that might do the trick. I was prescribed amoxycillin instead under the theory that 80% of UTIs are caused by e Coli. Several days later the results of the culture showed that it was eColi and that amoxycillin should be effective. It worked but then the UTI came back and they were focused on Cipro again. We agreed that I would try cephalexin for 14 days and that cured it. My point is that a lot of doctor's just want to immediately throw a fluoroquinolone at the problem when another milder antibiotic might work. When I bring up the tinnitus they immediately work a little hard to find something else without me having to get into an argument with them.

I'm not a doctor so am not offering advice to others. But my approach is to try another antibiotic (except sulfa drugs which I am allergic to) that has been shown to be effective against the bacterial strain if known. Then use Cipro as a last resort if necessary.

I realize that for prostatitis it can be difficult to know what the cause is and probably for that reason doctors just prescribe Cipro or equivalents. I've had suspected prostatitis in the past and amoxycillin did work (although it didn't completely clear up this UTI that I had recently).

• Posted

I do want to add something. To be fair, the physician's assistant did not know what the strain of bacteria was so probably felt safer trying to prescribe Cipro. It definitely is not a clear cut choice prior to knowing what the bacteria is that is causing the problem. But I would think that if the bacteria is known, one should try to use an antibiotic with fewer side effects first - but that is just my opinion.

• Posted

Good Afternoon

It is very hard to know what to use. I have been on 3 different antibiotic for different infection.

Most of the time I get Ciprofloxacin and it does work for me and no side effects. I even took it for a month once 1000 mg 2 times a days. When I was checked the month later my prostate was smaller. Doctor could not say way because it's not make to do that.

I have had tentititis but it was not cause by the meds. I got it from a inner ear infection. That was a he?? of a 4 weeks. Could not ear out of my left ear and could not raise my right arm it was in the shoulder

That is way we have to be aware of what the side effects of any drugs we are asked to put in our body's

Take care all.............Ken

• Posted

The EMA web site has several links to the problems caused by this family of drugs including a conference available on Youtube where victims of the drug and medical experts on "flouroquinolone toxicity syndrome" gave evidence.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.