Ciprofloxacin Side Effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good morning all,

Recently I was prescribed Ciprofloxacin for a kidney infection whilst I was in the UK. I'm now in Thailand and after stopping the tablets on Saturday morning (7 days, 500mg x 2 doses a day) i experienced my first real side effects on Sunday night. I had intense back pain, which I first assumed was a reinfection, then I had joint pain and a burning at the base of my spine. Since then, the symptoms have changed and, mostly, improved. I've gone through shoulder pain, knee pain, wrist pain, even pain in my toes! I've also had 2 or 3 instances of small patches of skin feeling hot or itching. Throughout all of this, I've not had a temperature or any measurable symptom of illness. 

What I'd like to know is if the pain decreasing should be taken as a positive? Or is this irrelevant in FQ toxicity? I'm becoming wildly frustrated as I'm quite an active person, doing yoga daily and several other sports throughout the week. Since the symptoms, I've stopped any exercise/ excessive movement apart from what is required of me at work. 

I have visited a Doctor here and he was unable to do anything other than google the side effects and tell me to wait 2 weeks. I look forward to hearing from anyone who can shed a little light on this for me.

Thanks,

Kim

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim,

This may well be FQ toxicity and you've done well to find out about it and stop your exercise.  Many people don't realise what has happened and try to exercise through the pain which can make everything a whole lot worse. 

Try not to be 'wildly frustrated'.  Your body has taken a hammering from a very potent drug - yes, it's effective and will cure just about any bacterial infection by preventing the bacteria from replicating.  The downside is that its bactericidal action is also damaging your mitochondrial DNA plus it creates a lot of oxidative stress in every cell in your body.  The end result is damage in your muscles, joints, collagen, organs, guts, skin, brain - you name it!

The important question is how much damage?  A lot of that depends on your age, fitness and what insults your body has suffered before.  By insults I mean damage from other pharmaceuticals or chemicals of some sort, pollution, bad food and alcohol choices, and also some genetic deficiencies.  It's quite complex!

If you're relatively young and fit and this was your first course of Cipro you may well find that what the doctor says it true and the pains will decrease in a couple of weeks.  Or a couple of months, or a couple of years.

It's a lottery which depends on many factors and the truth is that nobody knows the answers to 'how long' or 'how bad'.

If you go to this discussion on the site: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305 (Pinned post by the Moderator), you will find some helpful addresses for sites where you can get information, help and advice.  I don't know if you're on holiday now or were on holiday here in the UK but I'm shocked that you were given Cipro for a kidney infection.  Was it a UTI that got out of control and had you been given any ABs before?  Usually they prescribe Cipro only when Trimethoprim or Cephalexin (for example) don't work.

I suggest you find out as much about it as you can, starting with the link I gave you.  If you're UK you can send in a report via the Yellow Card system (more people need to report so that doctors will know it's a serious problem).   Don't be tempted to take Ibuprofen or any other NSAID as these can make your pains a whole lot worse.  Your gut will have been wiped of the good as well as bad bacteria so start to look after it with probiotics (live yoghurt etc.) and stay off sugar and junk foods.  Try to eat as cleanly and healthily as possible.  The same with alcohol, your liver doesn't need any other toxins to deal with at the moment.

I hope this all makes sense and helps. I also sincerely hope your pains subside soon.  be warned, though, that the cell damage can continue long after you stopped taking the Cipro so even the pill packets warn that you may get other symptoms or even tendon rupture months after you've forgotten all about it.  Take it easy and be careful for at least a year.  Watch you body for new, unexplained pains, especially in your legs, Achilles and joints.  Hopefully nothing will happen - but oyu need to know that it might.

Good luck, feel free to ask any questions about it but there's loads of info on here in the various fluoroquinolone discussions (you'll see my name a few times!).

• Posted

Thanks for your detailed and clear response. I was back in the UK for a Christmas visit and yes it started with a uti which didn't respond to ab, so the doctor prescribed cipro. I wish I'd googled sooner, but I guess there's not point looking back now! I've also already filled in the yellow card form, as I'm shocked something that can make you feel so terrible is so freely prescribed.

I'm 29 and generally quite active, eat well and of good health, which is probably adding to my frustrations, but hopefully will help my body fight this off. I'm drinking lots of nettle tea, taking probiotics and eating live yogurt. I also brew kombucha, but as this is fermented sweet tea (containing small amounts of sugar and alcohol) is this something I should avoid?

I've been reading quite a lot, but have a tendency to get anxious! But I will check out the link and take your advice with regards to lifestyle, food, medicine etc.

Thank you again for your help,

Kim

• Posted

Hi Kim,

That was quick!! 

Kombucha - yes!  I've only recently heard of it and it sounds marvellous.  A guy I'm in touch with who's very badly floxed (affected) said it's the first thing that's made him feel like he's improving.  He's started to brew his own so I think I want to get in on the act!  I think the levels of sugar and alcohol are very low in it so not to worry.  I was referring more to lots of sticky cakes and pints of beer and shots of whisky!

If you have a tendency to anxiety be warned that the Cipro can also mess with your Central Nervous System and create anxiety, depression, insomnia and panic attacks.  If you know any of these can happen perhaps it will help you when they do.  Different people are affected in different ways (which is why so little is known or accepted in the medical world), some people are affected more physically while for others their mental health suffers. I'm sorry this sounds so bad but I am trying to mention everything that CAN happen, not saying it WILL happen for sure!

You're right, there is no point looking back.  Many with depression say they are filled with guilt that they took the tablets.  You can't feel guilt - you didn't know!  The doctors should feel guilty but they actually don't know either.  The FDA in the US actually announced that Fluoroquinolone toxicity is recognised by them as a syndrome in 2016 but only after a tremendous amount of pressure from groups such as those you've got links too.  We're trying to get a similar decision made in Europe - the announcement is due at the end of Feb but they've deferred it twice already so it might be delayed yet again!

I've heard Cipro and the other fluoroquinolones are handed out like sweets in many Asian countries so if you find out anything about other 'floxies' or doctor's attitudes I'd be very interested to hear about them.

Happy reading!

• Posted

Ciprofloxicin is to dangerous to take.When i read all the possible side effects I decided not to take any more.I take natural antibiotics.
    • Posted

I'm so surprised that a doctor told you this - most doctors don't seem to know the first thing about it.  Which country are you in?  (Just out of interest!).

It's actually the other way around - the Cipro (and the other fluoroquinolones) chelate (steal) your magnesium, iron, selenium and other essential elements.  The doctor is right, though, it's the magnesium you miss the most. 

Unfortunately, taking magnesium may help but won't protect you from the side effects so it's best to ask for a different antibiotic altogether.  The fluoroquinolone family should only be used in extreme cases where the is absolutely no other alternative to prevent a fatality.

What was in your post to me that was deleted by the moderator?  Did you try to send me a link?  They won't allow any links or advertising.  You can personal message me if you want to. 

• Posted

Miriam You may like to google gluten ataxia. Gluten syndrome, Leaky Gut syndrome. PPI's, there is so much info out there on the damage these fluroquinolones do to the dna and mitochondria.

• Posted

Hi again

A dr I saw privately in London told me that I had antibiotic toxicity syndrome.

​He  sent me a letter copied to my GP!

Until then I had never heard of this syndrome and had no idea whatsoever what it was.

This led me to research the subject  and then I discovered a website about the dangers of fluroquinolones and realised that I had nearly all the side effects!!!!!

​I have spoken to drs whenever possible as they always ask if I am allergic to anything. I then have to inform them that I am unable to have any fluoroquinolones or other antibiotics. The other thing is that I also have a thyroid disorder and several food intolerances. I gather this is common following being floxed!

How are you now Miriam?

• Posted

Hi Harriet,

I'm what we fondly call a floxie-by-proxy!  I got into this research/campaign business after my husband was floxed (he's not too bad now).  Thanks for asking!

• Posted

Hi all,

Sorry to hear you too are suffering after the antibiotics, but maybe I can give you a relatively positive experience. After quite quickly realising I was suffering fluoroquinolone toxicity, I read as much as I could understand, took advice from several people and started doing what I could to promote healing.

I started to meditate more, take several supplements (including upping my usual dose of probiotics, beginning magnesium and spirulina and drinking quite intense turmeric tea - probably around 30 grams of turmeric a day and kombucha. I even made turmeric kombucha!). I also did a lot of self massage and ate a vegetarian diet. I'm not sure if any of these did the trick, or if it's just my body's response, it my symptoms are now very minimal - my right knee flares up around once a week, but the ache is only very faint compared to before, and the rest of my muscle, joint and nerve complaints have gone. I've reduced my supplements, but still try to be mindful with my movements and self-care.

I really hope you can find something to support your body and that you too find that your symptoms reduce. Despite visiting several doctors here in Thailand, they railroaded me into x rays and pretty much ignored what I was telling them. I'd love to hear more about your experience with GPS in the UK.

Take care,

Kim

• Posted

http://www.ciproispoison.com/

• Posted

Sorry to butt in. Thanks for the valuable link to Cipro poisoning.

Why do they keep manufacturing this drug?

Has anyone ever sued this drugs company I wonder. I did not know it now has TWO black box warnings on it. Thanks for the info which I will share with several drs I know . Do Chairs of Trusts know and Jeremy Hunt? I wonder if any television drs will take up this info? Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.