Cit 20mg and DP/DR Frustrated in DC

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have both/anxiety/depression but I think it's the anxiety which spurned the depression after I was stalked for 6 months.. Anyways, I been on cit 20mg for about 3 weeks now.. The most bothersome aspect of the drug is that since day one since I started taking it has kept me in somewhat derealized state throughout the day. I do take benzos to help alleviate my reaction to this effect but it bothers me more not knowing if it will ever go away.. I had some level of DP/DR prior because of my trauma once I started cit.. But it seems the cit enhances it more so then relieves it.

I also noticed I do better at night.. I'm not sure why that is.. Maybe it's because the drug is at its lowest level in my blood.. not sure.. Anyways, thanks for taking time to read and would love to know other people's experience with this med at 20mg and if the DP/DR ever goes away while on the cit..

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mike,

Saw your post and thought I'd say Hi.  I have been on cit for approximately 9 weeks now.  Started because of terrible anxiety 24/7 and depression resulting from the anxiety.  Was unable to sleep, focus, sit still, etc.  Once I started the meds, I got every side effect possible - upset stomach, increased anxiety, irregular heart beats, dizziness, jaw clenching - you name it, I had it.  I started to feel less anxiety at about the 5 week mark.  By the 6th week, my side effects had dissipated.  By the 7th week, I felt very close to normal - little to no anxiety, able to do most everything.  I feel like I have my life back now!!!!!!!!!!!! I also felt better in the evenings than during the day.  Now, I feel fine all the time.

Just hang in there Mike.  It will only get better from here for you.  You just need to let the meds level out in your system - it really does take anywhere from 4-8 weeks.  Also, keep active and push yourself to do things - walking is very helpful.  Initially, I went to the grocery store every day - just for a couple of items and I walked every day rain or shine.  I feel a whole lot healthier than I did even before I started taking cit.  I've take up tennis.  I couldn't read or watch t.v for the first 4 weeks.  Now I can do it all.  I also saw a therapist for 5 sessions.  That helped as well.

Anyway, you are through the very roughest stuff and you will be surprised at how good you will feel soon.

Take care,

Best,

Linda

• Posted

Linda,

I really apprecaite your response biggrin.. So kind.. I wasn't sure if I was going to get any.. So 3 weeks it still to early to tell? I just get frustrated with the ups and downs of the process.. Roller coaster..

I guess your right need to buckle down.. However, I'm curious did you get any DP/DR when you were taking the meds, and did those feeling go away over time?

Tanks,

Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike,

Yes, I did feel "out of it" during the initial month, but as I got into week 5 and week 6, there was a noticeable change for the better.  I also had a lot of difficulty with the "wandering mind" - worried about the meds and whether or not I was doing the right thing.  I definitely had trouble focussing and would dwell on things.  Bad thoughts seemed to come from out of the blue.  That all passes!!!!!!!!  It is not an easy process, but you will get through it.  What tends to happen is that you start by getting a good few minutes and then a good few hours and then a good few days and then...  you won't think of being anxious at all.  In the big scheme of things, it doesn't really take that long - it's just that every day feels challenging for you right now.  At 9 weeks, I am back to my old self.  As the weeks pass, you will get more confident again and you will pop back on this site for a minute or two just to tell others that it will be all right as long as they hang in there.  You will be the one who can say that you went through it and came out a happy and relaxed person!!

Take care, Mike

Best,

Linda

• Posted

Mike

I've been on cit for about 6 weeks now.  The first 3 weeks were the worst...I had every side effect I could have including nightmares, tremors, sweats and increased anxiety.  I stuck it out and although I feel more like myself at this time I'm going to talk to my doctor again tomorrow because I don't feel like I have much motivation....I'm happier and have interest in alot of things, but, I'm still having problems doing daily activities like cleaning and running errands.  I'm on 20 mg of cit; that's what he started me on, but, I think I may need to be increased.  I am taking it for severe depression and the anxiety attacks were not bad prior to taking cit, but, got worst during the first 3 weeks.  Hang in there; I think long term you will find out you will feel much better.  I agree with Linda...seems like you are through the rough patch and should start to feel better soon.  Good luck!

• Posted

Jaded,

Thanks for the encouragement, Been trying to keep my head up but I have been feeling pretty crappy for the last 4 months.. going from different med to med sad Also, since I work from home.. I'm engineer I do my design work at home.. My mind has a penchant to wander on bad things (I'm not getting better, this is the wrong med.. Blah, blah).

I’m just hoping the DP/DR feeling I'm getting now will dissipate over time and not been stuck with me though I benefit. I saw my pdoc yesterday and he said he was cautiously optimistic enduring another 2 weeks. I guess the only way I know if I give it a fair trial... Wow being sick like this sucks.. I hope you feel better Jaded, and good heath to Linda as well.. I'm so envious of you guys since you have some sense of relief..

Many thanks, and take care..

Mike 

• Posted

Hello Mike, I just want to support you on your journey.  From my experience of being on Citalopram 20 mg, I think it takes a few weeks (about 6) for the drug to 'kick in', but it can be hard to judge.  I found that for me, it blanked the top and bottom register of my depressive downward spiral. But perhaps that is a good thing.  After all, if you have great expectations from a new medicine, you're likely to be monitoring its effects on you.  Just get into a routine, give your thoughts a chance to settle down, and clear like a still forest pool.

• Posted

Hi,

I started Citalopram 20 mg a week ago and feeling even more worse than before but to saw your disscussion and replies encourages me. Now atleast I have hope that things are getting better. Thanks smile

• Posted

Some people say it gets worse then better.. Some people get better in 2 weeks.. Some people just never know if ever wink I'm approaching the end of my 3rd week  going on 4 and my dp/dr has not much improved... Maybe I'm over analyzing my mind and body for improvement.. All I know is that the meds effect us differently... Your experience will be unique.. 
    • Posted

Also are you taki bit for depression or anxiety? 
  • Posted

Ugh closing on the 3rd week approaching the 4th.. Slight improvements here and there I think... But overall status quo.. Seems the thing that bothers me the most is the derealization feeling I'm getting..miserable.. I had some of dr before this medicine but it seems to exacerbate my condition.. I'm not sure if it's helping or hating me ?? But I'm willing to give the med it's 4 -6 week trail for efficacy. Day kinda sucky though went to meeting in DC meet with some clients but was hard.. I'm hoping my days turn  better as this spacy feeling is getting old. How did you guys deal with the up and downs of the meds? I hate to say it but it seems all the people that have responded are mentally tougher then me..I'm proud you guys came out the other side successful. I'm hoping one day I can be supportive as well. 
    • Posted

Hi Mike!

I'm going on my second week of 20mg Citalopram. I was previously on Citalopram for about 5 years and attempted to get off of it recently but ended up doing so too quickly, resulting in bad withdrawal symptoms and rise in anxiety. I will tell you that Citalopram is GREAT and it helped me get to such a great place in life, pretty much anxiety free! My choice to get off the medication was simply just because but I realize that if I ever do so again, the process will be VERY long and drawn out to avoid all the withdrawal symptoms.

This medication takes time to come to it's full potential, some people feel the benefits after even a week, I've been told it takes about three weeks for the medication to be fully absorbed in your system. 

Are you practicing any relaxation and/or thought stopping techniques? Are you seeing a therapist?

Everyone is mentally tough, it is about accepting that what you are feeling is just anxiety and it cannot and will not hurt you! I am trying to understand this concept at the same time too! Realize that it is ok to feel uneasy or nervous and not exactly 100% because you will get back to that with time! Self talk is very important too, it may be hard to be positive right now but if you just take a little time every day to work on positive statements and relaxation techniques, you will feel better!

About myself, the main thing I am having issues with right now is that spacey/out of it feeling, almost as if I am outside of myself. I get this most while I am driving, which drives me crazy! I love driving and I hate to feel this during my drives, I am hoping this dissipates after more driving. Any advice? I started feeling anxiety again about last Saturday, started with breathing anxiety (worrying about it, obsessing over it) out of nowhere, turned into some panic attacks and then just an overall increase in anxiety, all resulting from the wrongful withdrawal from the Citalopram. Last week I also learned that I have high blood pressure and Diabeties so I started taking meds for these issues. Just a lot of things at once!

Any advice would be great! Thanks guys!

• Posted

Hi smbasenberg!,

I have had the spacey feeling since last april which intensities at different levels. Do you feel disconnected from your body in a sense that your not in sync with things, and are you feeling this after you take he medication or before you take it? I have it after I take my 20 mg of cit.. It's a horrible, horrible feeling.. One because were already anxious, and two it makes us more anxious on what's going on? However, I just sent a e-mail to my pdoc and this is what he responded with"

If I understand your question correctly the best answer I can offer is that any increased derealization or “spaciness” (as some people describe how they feel at the beginning with SSRIs or on higher doses) your experienced as a result of the 40 mg dose of citalopram should largely have resolved by now. However, my best educated opinion is that the derealization is a manifestation of or by-product of the anxiety and it should improve as the anxiety improves which, as we discussed on the last appointment, can unfortunately take even longer than depression to fully respond to an SSRI."

God I hope it  goes away soon.. Im think I'm getting a little better but don't want to switch to another med because of the spaciness..

Are you feeling any better?

-Mike

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I'm doing ok, just trying to focus on the days ahead.

Today is day 12 on Cit, I'm hoping to see some progress soon. I was told that it takes three weeks for the medication to be fully active in the system, this was from my doctor as well as my therapist. I am sure it is different for each person though.

I'm having the most trouble relaxing, I just keep worrying. I don't feel like doing much but I have been going to work so that is progress and progress is what matters. Remember to reward yourself for everything positive. I think I'm being too hard on myself for just taking time for myself, I think you may be doing the same too. Remember that it is ok to feel anxious, just go with the flow and it will pass.

Everything does take work though, it is hard to be positive during this time but make sure to keep giving yourself positive affirmations, practice on your breathing too.

Let me know how you've been.

Stephanie 

• Posted

So how is everyone e feeling today?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.